E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Almost out of original warrantee-squeaks & rattles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost out of original warrantee 4/50k. I do have a CPO car. I don't have the CPO paperwork handy. Will the dealer still entertain complaints about squeaks and rattles on the extended warrantee?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Members

Squeaks and rattles are such common problem in all BMW vehicles.
My old 3 series had lots of constant rattles, my parents 7 series also get squeak and rattle now and then. And my 5 series also get occasion rattles.
Whenever I take it to dealer, they say "Couldn't duplicate the sound and never got fixed."
They will probably take a look at your car, but most likely say "couldn't duplicate" or charge you for repair if your warranty expired already.
You should definitely visit the dealership.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Originally Posted by Deano' post='527520' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:18 PM
Almost out of original warrantee 4/50k. I do have a CPO car. I don't have the CPO paperwork handy. Will the dealer still entertain complaints about squeaks and rattles on the extended warrantee?
The source and often the cure for most E60 rattles can be found on this site. It is often easer to fix them yourself.

I had door seal creaks which were fixed under warranty ( I could fix them by cleaning flocking regularly but wanted a permanent fix) and had a rattling sunroof when open which after three visits they finally fixed by replacing the cartridge under warranty.

Mine is pretty blissful now although there is an occasional rear parcel shelf noise which I cure with some lube as identified on here.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='528720' date='Feb 8 2008, 12:43 AM
The source and often the cure for most E60 rattles can be found on this site. It is often easer to fix them yourself.

I had door seal creaks which were fixed under warranty ( I could fix them by cleaning flocking regularly but wanted a permanent fix) and had a rattling sunroof when open which after three visits they finally fixed by replacing the cartridge under warranty.

Mine is pretty blissful now although there is an occasional rear parcel shelf noise which I cure with some lube as identified on here.
Did your sunroof rattle when it was open upwards or when slid backward or both? mine rattles badly, but only when I have it in the up/vent position as opposed to being slid back. Any idea what would be causing that or how to fix it? I have a CPO but no original warranty left, and I have heard that CPO doesn't cover creaks, squeaks and rattles. thx.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Deano' post='527520
Did your sunroof rattle when it was open upwards or when slid backward or both? mine rattles badly, but only when I have it in the up/vent position as opposed to being slid back. Any idea what would be causing that or how to fix it? I have a CPO but no original warranty left, and I have heard that CPO doesn't cover creaks, squeaks and rattles. thx.
There was a thread about this sunroof rattle when it's closed or titled for venting. I tried searching, but no luck. Check out the pics here, http://picasaweb.google.com/frankche...oe/2004BMW545i for a quick fix. Notice the black Velcro tape (soft-side up on the glass) -- eliminates the rattle.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='636314' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:33 PM
Dealer will not entertain any issues that is not mechanical in nature with a CPO warranty (unless you have a great relationship with your SA). Surprisingly if you pony up the $ and they'll find and fix the rattle and squeak.

There was a thread about this sunroof rattle when it's closed or titled for venting. I tried searching, but no luck. Check out the pics here, http://picasaweb.google.com/frankche...oe/2004BMW545i for a quick fix. Notice the black Velcro tape (soft-side up on the glass) -- eliminates the rattle.
The attachment for the quick fix for the sunroof rattle is no longer available. Do you still remember what to do ?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='636314' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:33 PM
Dealer will not entertain any issues that is not mechanical in nature with a CPO warranty (unless you have a great relationship with your SA). Surprisingly if you pony up the $ and they'll find and fix the rattle and squeak.

My sunroof was making the big 'crack" noise when closing from vent position. I went back to dealer 2 times, they just lubed it and told me to go back if that happened again. Finally, it happened again very soon and got worst - not able to close sometimes !! Dealer finally replaced the whole sunroof cartridge. Now, I am out of warranty, and keep my finger crossed ....