DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had the experience of my battery dying on me while at the car wash this past weekend. I called the sealer and they wanted $500 plus to exchange the battery. I started looking online for information on how to do this and I found a ton of opinions...from doom and gloom to piece of cake. After reading through many posts on multiple sites and what was described in the manual, I decide I could do it myself. I purchased a Werker 95R from Batteries Plus and was on my way.

Many people warned that the battery needed to be registered with the car or I would lose all Idrive control if I do it myself. I can tell you now that is all BS and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes or less. I took a little longer because I took pictures at each step along the way.

Here is the link to the pictures: http://gallery.me.com/ratherbeincabo#100032

If anyone has questions, I will be glad to answer them. You can email me at my username here at gmail.com

Marc
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

What does the little wire connected to the side of the battery do and where does it go?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Members

So did the Active steering reset it self?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Thanks for the write-up! The battery containes no identifying electronics, so whomever came up with the idea of 'registering the battery with the car' was mistaken. However, it is extremely important that the replacement battery is of similar specs to stock, due to the sensitivity of E60 electronics.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Thanks for the pics Marc!

So the battery caused your Active Steering to spit out malfunction warning?
My AS has been on and off twice in the past 2 months and it has been fairly cold here (about 34 below)

Dealer said they could not replicate the problem and they checked that there's no problem w/ the AS and they said the battery was rather weak.

Define weak? The car started fine.
I can't believe a battery that is still able to start the car will trigger error code and is considered "WEAK".

Autozone carries similar battery w/ 8 years warranty (3 year free replacement) for $139.99 plus tax.
http://www.autozone.com/R,5077109/vehicleI...oductDetail.htm
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

i wonder if an Optima red top would work/ fit?
Edit: Nevermind...they only list bmw '58-'76
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='762884' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:30 AM
What does the little wire connected to the side of the battery do and where does it go?
The wire goes from the additional connector on the positive connection back into a wire harness. I do not know what it is for. It may be some kind of sensor for the battery.

Marc
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JAY'545' post='762885' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:30 AM
So did the Active steering reset it self?
Yes, that is why I showed a before and after picture of the iDrive display. The procedure for resetting the Active Steering was in the manual. Basically you turn the car off then start back up. You then turn wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right and finally back to center. Turn the car off, then restart and all is good!

Marc
Old 01-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='762887' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the write-up! The battery containes no identifying electronics, so whomever came up with the idea of 'registering the battery with the car' was mistaken. However, it is extremely important that the replacement battery is of similar specs to stock, due to the sensitivity of E60 electronics.
The battery is the exact same battery you would get from the stealer minus the roundel. It is an exact fit specs and dimensions. As I recall, the battery is made by Exide. I have the PDF specs somewhere. I spent nearly 3 days collecting the info to do this
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by salaki' post='762891' date='Jan 8 2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the pics Marc!

So the battery caused your Active Steering to spit out malfunction warning?
My AS has been on and off twice in the past 2 months and it has been fairly cold here (about 34 below)

Dealer said they could not replicate the problem and they checked that there's no problem w/ the AS and they said the battery was rather weak.

Define weak? The car started fine.
I can't believe a battery that is still able to start the car will trigger error code and is considered "WEAK".

Autozone carries similar battery w/ 8 years warranty (3 year free replacement) for $139.99 plus tax.
http://www.autozone.com/R,5077109/vehicleI...oductDetail.htm
Yes, when you totally lose power, Active Steering needs to be reset. The battery did not cause the error, disconnecting the battery causes the reset. It is described in the manual. The car was not able to start with the old battery. I never received any kind of warning that the battery was low or weak prior to the failure at the car wash. Just so happens there was a brand new M3 Vert next to me. It was quite embarrassing when the car had to be pushed out of the line.

Marc

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement