Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

Why didn't my car come with red rear reflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:01 AM
[quote name='Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 07:54 PM']To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.
[snapback]21515[/snapback]
Although people have had success removing the reflectors using this method, I believe the reflectors pop out easier if you pull them out from the "inner" side, or the side that is closest to the license plate. If you look at the reflector, you can see the way the clip is designed. It'll pop out with less force if you do it from the inside, rather than the outside...
[snapback]92366[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on design, there certainly is a benefit from putting the inside in first, but as for taking them out, it may not make any difference which side is popped out first. There is a 90 degree step for both sides.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 04:54 PM
To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.
For those who don't have fishing line lying around, I used dental floss! I used mint flavored, and it worked great!!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 23 2004, 07:43 PM
For me it was 40% more but hey I got the rearreflectors for free!! So I paid it hapilly for them? :'(
[snapback]27415[/snapback]
The Netherlands is just the most expensive country to but you're BMW or other car. In Belgium they are cheaper
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 06:54 PM
Why didn't my car come with red rear reflectors?

In the U.S., our government decided that for some reason the red reflectors seen on European cars are dangerous to the U.S. population. They forced BMW to replace them with plain black inserts for U.S. deliveries. Many users report that they've happily replaced their black inserts with the red reflectors ordered from www.bekkers.com. To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
I must have read this a hundred times and cannot quite understand what is being said. Isn't this just the E60? I have not seen any other BMW models (3,6,7,X series) have the same issue of NOT having red reflectors in the US spec vehicles. What can be so unique about the E60 reflectors to make this so - too low, too high, too wide, too narrow? The NHTSA code requires red reflectors, so what went wrong with E60?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:09 PM

WHY SHOULD BMW GIVE FOR FREE WHEN THEY CAN CHARGE YOU FOR IT IN THE ACCESSORIES CATALOG!
Old 02-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 20 2005, 01:06 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:01 AM'][quote name='Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 07:54 PM']To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.
Although people have had success removing the reflectors using this method, I believe the reflectors pop out easier if you pull them out from the "inner" side, or the side that is closest to the license plate. If you look at the reflector, you can see the way the clip is designed. It'll pop out with less force if you do it from the inside, rather than the outside...
[/quote]
Based on design, there certainly is a benefit from putting the inside in first, but as for taking them out, it may not make any difference which side is popped out first. There is a 90 degree step for both sides.
[snapback]92440[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know why I didn't do this a while ago but here goes:

replacing_rear_reflector.pdf
Old 03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver Grey Metallic 545i, Logic 7, Comfort Seats with Black Dakota Leather, Sirius Satellite Radio, Euro Reflectors, Aux Input Build Date 9/03

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 23 2005, 11:19 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Feb 20 2005, 01:06 PM'][quote name='Rudy' date='Feb 20 2005, 09:01 AM'][quote name='Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 07:54 PM']To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.
[/quote]
[snapback]92440[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't know why I didn't do this a while ago but here goes:

Attachment 5325
[snapback]93489[/snapback]
[/quote]
Too bad I don't have the special tool!!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Feb 20 2005, 12:19 PM
[quote name='Lomag' date='Aug 5 2004, 04:54 PM']To replace them, use strong fishing line going in from the outside side and then pull firmly. The new ones snap right in. Make sure to thread the line from the outside side, not the side by the license plate.
For those who don't have fishing line lying around, I used dental floss! I used mint flavored, and it worked great!!
[snapback]92488[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just put my red reflectors in and I used dental floss, too. But I have to say I went through a bunch of dental floss before they came out. I tried several times and the dental floss kept ripping. So I doubled up on the dental floss and it still ripped. It finally worked, once I trippled up on the detal floss. Phew!!

Now the car looks like it was meant to look!

Old 07-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Members

Wait...Dental Floss?

I just ordered the reflectors from the 5 series catalog for $12 each. I used my car key to pop out the body color inserts (very easy from right side) and then put the reflectors in the space - the ones I got from my parts center had clips on them that lock the reflector into place.

What's everyone using the dental floss for?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

dental floss will eliminate to scratch the paint and, in your case, break the car key .

Quick Reply: Why didn't my car come with red rear reflectors?