Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What is Active Roll Stabilization/Dynamic Drive?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61

hmm i Wonder if its possible to retrofit it?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Liam
I have a touring with Dynamic Drive. I want to add 19" wheels. Does anybody know if it's possible to lower a car with Dynamic Drive?

Thanks,
Liam
Hi Liam,

I'm wondering if you found an answer to your question. Were able to install 19" wheels?

Last edited by philnguyen; 11-29-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jam149
I think the easiest way is simply to look under the rear of the car at the rear stabilizer. If it appears to be a normal bar - it does not have dynamic drive. If it has a big round "thing" in the middle of it with hoses attached - then it has dynamic drive.

joe

...But is this really a reliable way to determine if you have "Dynamic Drive" or not? I have yet to read any credible information that confirms how to determine if I have Dynamic drive. I see threads where people copy and paste what dynamic drive is and does, and I've read posts where people say they have it due to the fact that their car has "this" or "that" and that's THEIR way of determining they have dynamic drive.

I've even seen where someone lists the VIN decoder to look up and see if there is a "Dynamic Drive" option listed. (Mine does not list it) HOWEVER, in the SAME thread I see where people say their shifter moved to the left displays "DS" in the gage cluster and they say that means they have "Sport" which in turn means they have "Dynamic drive" which mine DOES function as such.

There are so many misleading statements from various people that I am so confused about whether or not I have Dynamic drive or not.....whether or not I have Sport Suspension or not....

Sometimes I feel like I just need to make friends with a BMW expert, invite them over for beers numerous times and pick their brain on bimmers.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i E60 Alpine White

I believe the vin decoder can tell you whether you have m-sport package or not. If it does, then you do have Dynamic Drive. If not, then you don't.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by frenchyrider267
...But is this really a reliable way to determine if you have "Dynamic Drive" or not? I have yet to read any credible information that confirms how to determine if I have Dynamic drive. I see threads where people copy and paste what dynamic drive is and does, and I've read posts where people say they have it due to the fact that their car has "this" or "that" and that's THEIR way of determining they have dynamic drive.

Yeah, funny thing, we all have to do some basic fact-finding sometimes separate fact from fiction in what we read online ...

Yes, this is a reliable way to determine if you have it. The physical presence of the ARS hardware is actually a much better indicator than the VIN - people sometimes remove ARS when they run into problems with it (not a good idea IMO, but whatever).

You are looking under the rear of the car (or front, but have to remove underbody panels to see the front swaybar so rear is easier) for a large black metal cylinder that is the electronic motor, in the middle of the sway bar. It's that simple. If it's there, you have ARS. if it's not and it's just a regular sway bar, you do not have ARS.