5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Turn signal doesn't make a sound (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/turn-signal-doesnt-make-sound-149204/)

scottalexander 12-25-2018 08:53 AM

Turn signal doesn't make a sound

We have a 2010 BMW e60 with the N52k.

We bought this vehicle used coming off a lease. At the time we bought it the turn signal was silent and you couldn't hear it when it was turned on. We can't hear the hazard emergency button switch when it is depressed and blinks on and off, as well.

Did someone use NCS expert and turn this off? Is that even possible?

How do we turn the blinker sound back on?

superrbearr 06-03-2021 06:00 AM

I have the same. problem as you. I have determined that the sound is supposedly coming from the "KICK PANEL SPEAKER". Could someone with a working turn signal confirm this? I have tested my speakers and it works but when I play music etc.(by working I mean, testing the resistance of the speakers and plugging it into a old stero system) the speakers are silent. I have a 2004 BMW 525i e60

scottalexander 06-03-2021 06:18 AM

When my blinker is on, I have determined that the blinker audio should be coming from a small speaker on the back of the instrument panel. There is a small speaker on the back of the instrument panel that is about the size of a quarter.

You say your blinker audio is coming from the kick panel speaker. I would be skeptical of this data unless our e60's are very different.

Some of my research shows that NCS expert can remove the audio from the blinker mechanism.

Question:

When you hit your hazard lights button (next to the door locks button), do you hear your hazard lights blinking? Is there audio associated with your hazard lights button?

superrbearr 06-03-2021 06:27 AM

No, I don't hear my hazards either

scottalexander 06-03-2021 06:42 AM

I'm inclined to believe you and I have the same problem.

We may be the only two people with e60's in the world that have this problem.

My current thinking is the speaker on the back of the instrument panel is broken.

Here are a few options and you can run these experiments:

Get on eBay and buy a super cheap instrument panel from an old e60. You will install that instrument panel for only a few minutes to see if your blinker audio comes on. That is, after the eBay instrument panel is connected and you turn on your blinker, can you now here it blink?

Next:

That eBay instrument panel is not going to have the right mileage for your car, but the speaker on the back of the eBay panel might be working. De-solder the speaker from the old eBay panel and solder it to your existing instrument panel.

Next:

Buy a new instrument panel for $1,600 (not)

Next:

There are plenty of little speakers you can buy off the internet for a few dollars and wire up a speaker that you can place under the dash area that will audibly blink when you turn your blinkers on. Now the question is do you have to take the blinker stalk off the steering column to find the wire or is there a wire you can tap into under the dash (so you can splice a new wire into it). We need some help from the other e60 forum members for that technique.

I'm thinking that might be the easiest and cheapest way to proceed.

superrbearr 06-03-2021 06:56 AM

I'm just surprised that no one else has had this problem.

Need to wait for someone to confirm if they can hear anything from the kickpanel speaker when the blinkers are on. If not then the culprit should be the speaker on the instrument cluster.

donpb 06-03-2021 12:48 PM

Mine sounds like its coming from the instrument cluster.

seanjordan20 06-03-2021 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaker location is in the pic

scottalexander 06-03-2021 01:18 PM

With all the e60 brain power on this forum, it would be nice to identify the wire we can tap into that will allow us to wire in an external speaker (so we can hear our blinker when its turned on).

For example a picture of:

- the blinker relay
- the blinker switch
- the blinker stalk internals
- the blinker hot wire

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say its possible the blinker stalk is broken somewhere and that is why the speaker (soldered to the instrument panel) is not working. Its possible that speaker is still WORKING, but there is something broken between the blinker stalk and the speaker so the speaker does not work

What are the components between the blinker stalk and the speaker (on the instrument panel)?

seanjordan20 06-03-2021 01:52 PM

I'm not at the house but finding the diagram is easy with ISTA if he has it.