Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How come there is so much static on my radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW
Thumbs up

How come there is so much static on my radio?

Some users have reported significant static on AM, FM and sometimes on CD. There is a BMW Service Bulletin on this. Please contact your dealer who should have more details along with a fix for this issue. Not everyone experiences this problem.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this exact same problem on my 2004 545i. I brought it to the dealer, who replaced the M-ASK (a $1250 part + $250 labor which i managed to convince them to do for free despite my car being out of warranty), but that did not help. Reading some other posts, I realized that others have done the same thing, to no avail.

The problem is in the TCU. A TCU replacement costs almost as much (at least $1000 + labor). I didn't think I could pull off getting the dealer to replace the TCU for free as well. And I don't really want to pay $1000+ just to get the radio working without static glitches (although this would also get me bluetooth capability, but that's not worth $1000+ either).

Here is the solution. Go into the trunk and remove the TCU. It is not required for any of the car functions except for bluetooth and BMW Assist (which only matters if you actually pay the subscription fee for that). Once I removed the TCU, the radio/CD static problem was fixed, and the only difference now is that when I go into the "Communications" menu, instead of saying "No Signal", it says "No Cell Phone Installed". Let me know if this helps.

-Victor
Old 11-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There are quite a few Service Bulletins on Audio issues. Here is a list I have compiled. If you need specific information on any of these let me know.

How come there is so much static on my radio?-bmw_audio_sibs.jpg
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Members

Same problem....

Went to the dealer, diagnosed the problem > it is the TCU, $700 for a new one. Asked him to unhook the TCU, was not willing to do it.

Shortly after I bought a used one, replaced it and everything was working for a few weeks. Now the static starts again. I had it and want to get rid of the TCU. I know that I need the MOST jumper part# 61136906535.

There are 4 fiber cable attached to the TCU and they are color coded. (Do not remember what colors, but probably yellow, red, blue and green). So far so good.

If I buy two jumpers, which cables I have to jump together. Does anybody knows?

I have a substantial number of combination if I cannot find the answer somewhere, and so far I could not.

thanks

aboross
Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by akns' post='497672' date='Nov 22 2007, 05:15 AM
I had this exact same problem on my 2004 545i. I brought it to the dealer, who replaced the M-ASK (a $1250 part + $250 labor which i managed to convince them to do for free despite my car being out of warranty), but that did not help. Reading some other posts, I realized that others have done the same thing, to no avail.

The problem is in the TCU. A TCU replacement costs almost as much (at least $1000 + labor). I didn't think I could pull off getting the dealer to replace the TCU for free as well. And I don't really want to pay $1000+ just to get the radio working without static glitches (although this would also get me bluetooth capability, but that's not worth $1000+ either).

Here is the solution. Go into the trunk and remove the TCU. It is not required for any of the car functions except for bluetooth and BMW Assist (which only matters if you actually pay the subscription fee for that). Once I removed the TCU, the radio/CD static problem was fixed, and the only difference now is that when I go into the "Communications" menu, instead of saying "No Signal", it says "No Cell Phone Installed". Let me know if this helps.

-Victor

How do you remove the TCU safely? I have this same problem
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Members

anyone??
Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM
ODB
Members

In my case (2005 530), the dealer looped together the 2 fiber optic cables (they are green and black thin wires). The 4 colored cables with the squarish connectors were left hanging in the breeze. I don't have static on the FM radio. I do have some on the AM.

Without a TCU installed, I get a "warning: SOS system malfunction" every time I start the car. The dealer says they can't make that message go away. It sounds like you're having better luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Members

Anyone have pictures so I can do this safely?