Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

Can the car's options be set in iDrive, or do any

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Black and Tan (not a beer), sport package, premium sound, comfort seats, winter package, heads-up, Navigation, ski bag, split rear seats 1995 740iL Mojavie Brown (need I say more) Got a good price, For sale now.

Sorry for the question on your question, since i'm a newbi. BUt your post had the iDrive question, that the search engine took me to.

Is it possible to turn-off the iDrive opening screen that warns me not to use it while driving. I have a 2005 545i I picked up on July 16 and this is the most annoying thing I've come across.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, bigcgar ! majority of the idriver users hate that message . however, there is no way to turn it off...at least for now :'(.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Bigcgar' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:04 AM
Sorry for the question on your question, since i'm a newbi. BUt your post had the iDrive question, that the search engine took me to.

Is it possible to turn-off the iDrive opening screen that warns me not to use it while driving. I have a 2005 545i I picked up on July 16 and this is the most annoying thing I've come across.
[snapback]153431[/snapback]
Welcome aboard, Bigcgar !
That's a very smart search engine, that took you here...

As alohalc said, there is currently no way to disable it.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black and Tan (not a beer), sport package, premium sound, comfort seats, winter package, heads-up, Navigation, ski bag, split rear seats 1995 740iL Mojavie Brown (need I say more) Got a good price, For sale now.

Thanks for all your comments - its the same message I received from the dealer here in Colo, but I'd rather here it from the real experts (owner experts). It was great to get connected to your forum. I'm sure I'll have more questions as i get caught up in my the E60.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Bigcgar' date='Jul 28 2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all your comments - its the same message I received from the dealer here in Colo, but I'd rather here it from the real experts (owner experts).? It was great to get connected to your forum. I'm sure I'll have more questions as i get caught up in my the E60.
[snapback]153801[/snapback]
This forum knows more than any dealer!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='153832' date='Jul 27 2005, 04:50 PM
This forum knows more than any dealer!

Sooooo true!! Not to steer off topic...but every time I go into a dealer, I seem to have more of the facts, TSB's, and other info about my cars than the dealers do...have to be careful or they tend to become annoyed (that you actually know more than them about their products) and will not be overly helpful.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='480325' date='Oct 11 2007, 04:02 PM
Sooooo true!! Not to steer off topic...but every time I go into a dealer, I seem to have more of the facts, TSB's, and other info about my cars than the dealers do...have to be careful or they tend to become annoyed (that you actually know more than them about their products) and will not be overly helpful.
Don't forget that they have egos too. The customer is not supposed to know more than they do because they're supposed to be the "experts" on the car. Unfortunately, when people from this forum start talking to them about a bunch of stuff they're not aware of, they get uncomfortable (and/or annoyed, as you said) and attempt to protect their egos.

I don't blame them much -- there's no way any one person can be as knowledgeable about one type of car as we are since our collective information comes from thousands of experienced owners from around the world!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='480347' date='Oct 11 2007, 02:04 PM
Don't forget that they have egos too. The customer is not supposed to know more than they do because they're supposed to be the "experts" on the car. Unfortunately, when people from this forum start talking to them about a bunch of stuff they're not aware of, they get uncomfortable (and/or annoyed, as you said) and attempt to protect their egos.

I don't blame them much -- there's no way any one person can be as knowledgeable about one type of car as we are since our collective information comes from thousands of experienced owners from around the world!

Very true Rudy (must be careful when "suggesting" possible causes, etc.)...and many of them don't own the brand they work at so they don't have the incentive to be on these forums! I always thought a really sharp dealer might assign one of his SA's or lead tech's to a few minutes every day to browse these kinds of forums and keep current with what the owners are really experiencing then share the info with the other SA's/Tech's...but not realistic I'm sure due to time demands, etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

[quote name='HotLap' date='Oct 11 2007, 06:20 PM' post='480411']
Very true Rudy (must be careful when "suggesting" possible causes, etc.)...and many of them don't own the brand they work at so they don't have the incentive to be on these forums! I always thought a really sharp dealer might assign one of his SA's or lead tech's to a few minutes every day to browse these kinds of forums and keep current with what the owners are really experiencing then share the info with the other SA's/Tech's...but not realistic I'm sure due to time demands, etc.

I agree and actually did reco this to the dealer but since the 3 series is really they make their money I would bet that the focus more attention there, likely why the new BMW performance products are all for the 3 series. In the meantime it is rather comical to point out things they don't know about.

Cheers
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M6 Coupe Sapphire Black/Black Merino Loaded

FWIW: This is an old thread but it should be noted that the Daytime running lights can now be enabled/disabled via the iDrive menu.

Quick Reply: Can the car's options be set in iDrive, or do any