F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

Maybe the F11's will come to the States after all!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by forceten
I wanted a 5 series sport wagon with manual transmission and xDrive. But of course, the F11 never made it here. After agonizing I "settled" for a 3 series (328) xDrive Wagon with manual transmission. I LOVE the car! But I wish it were a tad roomier hence my desire for the 5 series.
So why didn't you find a used 2008-2010 535xi Touring instead of the smaller 3? I've had both models and really prefer the the 5 both for the size but also the features.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

Two reasons - 1) I didn't like the look of the last-edition 5 series. Loved the one prior, love this current one even more, but really didn't like the last one. 2) I love the latest gadget/electronic integration of the latest models (and waited until March to order the 3 wagon for the better iPhone integration) and didn't want a step back/sideways from my 335.

I also did not relish dealing with a used car even if CPO.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

new 5's don't look vastly different like how the other generations changed. I couldn't deal with such a small car as a 3 for my traveling and it can't haul as much weight as easily either. A new 3 isn't as comfortable either so I guess we just have our different priorities.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
New Members

I wrote BMW of NA and Europe asking if the new 5 wagon will come back to the USA. They said to ask the dealer. The dealer does not know. Run around.

You all are correct that they refuse to market the car and in turn blame it on the public. What gives because it is such an incredible car? Look at it compared to that crazy "Gran Whatever", which makes the Prius look goodl!

Unfortunately the Mercedes is the only one standing. I drove it yesterday and was actually pleasantly surprised. I suggest you give it a chance; they upgraded the engine this year and added 60 HP. They even have an AMG Wagon which is awesome. On top of that they have a performance option for the base AMG which moves it into super car range.

It seems Mercedes is after the performance and drivability where BMW is targeting the "show" in the USA. Remember when BMW use to market the "ultimate driving machine" and care about those drivers more than their internal politics? Now they market style as demonstrated in the terms "modern" and "luxury" for the new 3 series and "Gran Whatever"! Kind of sad but all things change.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw5forever
I wrote BMW of NA and Europe asking if the new 5 wagon will come back to the USA. They said to ask the dealer. The dealer does not know. Run around.
Now they market style as demonstrated in the terms "modern" and "luxury" for the new 3 series
Are you sure you asked BMW directly? That answer is like if a band told you to go ask a music store if the band was putting out a new album or not.

BMW is clearly taking a new tangent considering the recent marketing campaign, which can cost 100's of thousands of $, is based on things like ...a heated steering wheel.

Maybe instead they could try to design a car so awesome the passengers would rather be cold than left behind. A heated steering wheel is so basic, how about heated seats that will be warm when you arrive.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
Are you sure you asked BMW directly? That answer is like if a band told you to go ask a music store if the band was putting out a new album or not.

BMW is clearly taking a new tangent considering the recent marketing campaign, which can cost 100's of thousands of $, is based on things like ...a heated steering wheel.

Maybe instead they could try to design a car so awesome the passengers would rather be cold than left behind. A heated steering wheel is so basic, how about heated seats that will be warm when you arrive.
Yes I went to BMW of North America, like I said it is a run around. It seems clear the decision was made and they refuse to change. Guess they are too busy perfecting the heated wheel, power steering and automatic parking capability. In other words chasing the Lexus glitter rather than serving their driver fans. Remember when a 3 series convertible was made to driven? Now it made to be comforted with a heavy, clumsy, awful hard top. Here again Mercedes is going after the driver by sticking to the soft top. I get it in the regular 3; but an M convertible with that awful contraption is sad!

Here is BMW's actual response;

The sales team at your local authorized BMW center is available to provide you with product availability information. A list of our authorized BMW centers categorized by name, state or ZIP Code can be found on our website at under ?Dealer Locator.?

Thank you again for your interest.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

I would like to harass these BMW NA folks. That answer to you is dismissive at best and shows that whoever is handling such an email has no interest in customer retention nor do they understand the market.

It's actually a flat out lie to say a dealer can provide you with product availability IN THE FUTURE. The only thing the dealership people ever really know, so that they don't leak info, is only what's listed on the bmw website as "future" vehicles.

I would respond to a higher up that your question was rudely ignored.

Would BMW NA care to know that I am personally on my 3rd bmw since 2006, the first 2 having been new car purchases. Total spent $60,000, $52,000, $40,000.

Oh well, I guess they're selling enough they don't need me.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I would like to harass these BMW NA folks. That answer to you is dismissive at best and shows that whoever is handling such an email has no interest in customer retention nor do they understand the market.

It's actually a flat out lie to say a dealer can provide you with product availability IN THE FUTURE. The only thing the dealership people ever really know, so that they don't leak info, is only what's listed on the bmw website as "future" vehicles.

I would respond to a higher up that your question was rudely ignored.

Would BMW NA care to know that I am personally on my 3rd bmw since 2006, the first 2 having been new car purchases. Total spent $60,000, $52,000, $40,000.

Oh well, I guess they're selling enough they don't need me.

I did it through the "My BMW" site which makes it worse. I worked at a BMW dealer (a gas station at the time) while going to college in 1971-74. I bought my first in 1984 and have had new BMW's ever since then and have sold (not as an official salesman just a BMW nut job) them to countless friends and relatives over the years. I can tell you BMW does not care as they have moved beyond the those seeking the ultimate driving machine and are after the lexus crowd. The fact they elected to market the gran whatever instead of the great touring car is a perfect example. Same with the hard top contraption on the m3 convertible. They make tons of money; and are incredibly successful with their new strategy. Mercedes and Infiniti are trying to go after the drivers but it is hard to switch! However, you would think they could give me a simple yes or not to the question. Or maybe even that they are thinking about it. Their Europe strategy is another matter ... look at the great new M Performance diesel line or the touring for that matter.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

TERA RMT
??????????2 RMT
RO2 RMT
??????? RMT
REDSTONE RMT