F11 Touring Discussion Discussion about the touring version of the 5 series, also known as a wagon.

10" Media/Control Display Scratched/Marked

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control
Thumbs down

Hi,

I've just bought a 2010 F11 from a local BMW dealer and cleaning the car this weekend I used a very soft cloth that I was cleaning the glass with to also clean the 10" NAV/Media display as it had a couple of finger prints on. To my horror I now have an awful mark the size of a ten pence piece on my screen. Its not a scratch but looks more like a special coating has come off or similar.

I have had 5 previous BMW's all with media screens and all cleaned using the same or similar cloths. In fact the cloth I was using was the very same cloth I used to clean the screen of the E60 that I traded in a few days ago!!

I will obviously need to speak to the dealer, but I am concerned that they will not believe my story and will claim I used something that caused the mark to avoid get it replaced under warranty.

Just in case I have no joy with them, I searched the web and this forum for ideas but cannot find anything other than to put some petroleum jelly on. I do not wish to do that just in case it causes any further issues.

HELP !! Does anyone have any ideas that will remove the mark or has anyone experienced the same problems or can offer advice?

Yours,

A very distraught F11 owner. Thanks in advance,

Melv
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to worry you, but the same thing happened to my wife's car. It went into the dealer for a valet, came back with a mark on the nav display, I tried to clean it off and it got bigger. I took it back to the dealer, and they agreed to put in a new display.

My understanding is that unlike the E60s, the later BMWs have a AR coating with no perspex screen in front of them, leaving the AR very vulnerable...