F10, F11 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the F10. Accessories and modifications too!

Shadowline trim or chrome trim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about getting the OEM shadowline trim or just getting it wrapped with vinyl. However since I have the chrome trim on the door handles as well which comes with the convenience package I am a bit hesitant to how it might look. What are your two cents on the matter?

Thanks in advance for your comments and support as always.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Get rid of the chrome trim. Get the OEM shadowline and black out the door handles somehow.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributors

yeah go shadowline, especially on a black car. looks really sick
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by luigimaster528i
I am thinking about getting the OEM shadowline trim or just getting it wrapped with vinyl. However since I have the chrome trim on the door handles as well which comes with the convenience package I am a bit hesitant to how it might look. What are your two cents on the matter?

Thanks in advance for your comments and support as always.

So you want to swap out the chrome parts which are included in the Convenience Package... doesn't sound overly "convenient" to me!

I also prefer the Shaddow Line look. Maybe you can order both as OEM parts from BMW?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

depending on the color of the car, i think the chrome looks good. dark colors look good with chrome, light colors do not. your car is one color where i do not think it looks bad at all. to be honest, it looks better chrome to me. your wheels are chrome and your door handles have it too, so it adds symmetry.

IMO it's a subtle change either way. i personally wouldn't go to the trouble in your case, even if the consensus were to go black.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

Ask your dealer if they make Glazen Schwartz trim for F10.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Members

It's more complicated to go shadowline because of my door handles. If not it would be a piece of cake. I call my local dealer and asked about all black door handles they do have them but I would lose the keyless entry and keyless lock feature on the car which comes with the convenience package. I don't know.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
depending on the color of the car, i think the chrome looks good. dark colors look good with chrome, light colors do not. your car is one color where i do not think it looks bad at all. to be honest, it looks better chrome to me. your wheels are chrome and your door handles have it too, so it adds symmetry.

IMO it's a subtle change either way. i personally wouldn't go to the trouble in your case, even if the consensus were to go black.
I agree. It is the most logical thing to do . Stay symmetrical with the car as it is. Too much hassle because of the door handles IMO
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Jet Black

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
Get rid of the chrome trim. Get the OEM shadowline and black out the door handles somehow.
+1
Old 10-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by luigimaster528i
It's more complicated to go shadowline because of my door handles. If not it would be a piece of cake. I call my local dealer and asked about all black door handles they do have them but I would lose the keyless entry and keyless lock feature on the car which comes with the convenience package. I don't know.

That's crazy! I just checked the Germany BMW car configurator and if you order the M-Sport version incl Shaddow Line / Colour coded everything etc., and then add the Keyless Entry, it adds Chrome door handles That's just wrong and I think that's one BMW will have to sort out pretty soon!

As for your situation, I guess all you can do is take it to a paint shop and ask them to do it for you. I would doubt a vinyl wrap would last that long on the handles.

Quick Reply: Shadowline trim or chrome trim?