Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by pjinca
Problem is the F10 M5 will have TT's - which means if you have an E60 M5 you'll have to spend easily triple to match the HP potential (not to mention torque) of the TT V-8. Yes, there are addon's for the E60's V-10, thing is look at what Dinan did for the F10 550 - 1 tune = 95HP boost and gobs more torque. While I love the V-10, it has always lacked the necessary torque to truly compete with other supercars, 384 lbft? really? My old Jeep SRT-8 had close to 600 lbft.
Yep standard the 550i M Sport gives the E60 M5 a run for it's money, tuned should prove interesting.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are regulars here so stupid about knowing anything about basic car 101?

Engine torque means NOTHING. Why dont you do some reading. Wheel torque is all that matters and wheel torque is derived from engine torque, engine RPM's and gearing. the e60 uses high RPM's and less engine torque to achieve the torque at the wheels of a supercar. The TT cars use more engine torque and less RPM's to achieve wheel torque. They all use a combination of gearing that completely dictates actual wheel torque.

Ferrari has always had high hp, high RPM, lower torque engines. Ferraris typically dont have more than 400 ft pounds and they are not a supercar.

Its just not even worth explaining anymore. For people that spend so much time here to know so little about what makes 4 wheels turn-why dont you spend a fraction of your time spent here, reading some basics instead. Pitiful. Engine torque numbers mean nothing. Same as the 335 folks saying they are faster than m3s since they have more torque. More engine torque doesnt mean more torque at the wheels which is ALL that matters.

so sad some of you folks like PJ
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by poleposition
This article was from June of 2009. The motor is definitely NOT a V10.
+1

This motor has basically been confirmed by insider to be the same one from the X5M / X6M, with likely higher output #'s.

But it's certain to be a turbocharged v8
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by Diamond

Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10-1273426981732.jpg

Old 02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
e6t
Senior Members

my car has 556 ft/lbs of torque and its slow as hell.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Engine torque means NOTHING. Why dont you do some reading. Wheel torque is all that matters and wheel torque is derived from engine torque, engine RPM's and gearing. the e60 uses high RPM's and less engine torque to achieve the torque at the wheels of a supercar. The TT cars use more engine torque and less RPM's to achieve wheel torque. They all use a combination of gearing that completely dictates actual wheel torque.

Ferrari has always had high hp, high RPM, lower torque engines. Ferraris typically dont have more than 400 ft pounds and they are not a supercar.

Its just not even worth explaining anymore. For people that spend so much time here to know so little about what makes 4 wheels turn-why dont you spend a fraction of your time spent here, reading some basics instead. Pitiful. Engine torque numbers mean nothing. Same as the 335 folks saying they are faster than m3s since they have more torque. More engine torque doesnt mean more torque at the wheels which is ALL that matters.

You never have nothing nice to say man! You could have easily made your point above without calling regular members here stupid.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Stupid................... .................................... YOU ARE....................................by the comments you make ............................. please if you have nothing "Constructive to say" BUTTON IT".
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by johnbmwx6
Yep standard the 550i M Sport gives the E60 M5 a run for it's money, tuned should prove interesting.
Really? That's not my experience. The F10 550i (I assume you're talking about the F10, nd yes I have driven one, an SE but the same mechanicals) is indeed a very quick car,, but when the M5 hits its stride at about 3500 - 4000 rpm it ceases to even be close any more. It's not a dig at the 550i - I have a friend with a Bentley GT Speed which easily betters my M5s horsepower and dwarfs its torque. At any speed above 30mph it's simply no match for the 5er. With the M5 its all about the revs, and while I have no issue with any replacement for it being turbocharged, it's the high rpms that make the E60 version so unique. I will miss mine when it's gone.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Contributors

As much as I agree with your explanation, I totally disagree with the lack of professionalism.
Anyhow, here is how your comment should've been.

Wheel torque is all that matters and wheel torque is derived from engine torque, engine RPM's and gearing. the e60 uses high RPM's and less engine torque to achieve the torque at the wheels of a supercar. The TT cars use more engine torque and less RPM's to achieve wheel torque. They all use a combination of gearing that completely dictates actual wheel torque.

Hope it clarifies things
Having knowledge over others gives you the advantage to enlighten and educate people. But in no way does it allow you to disrespect them.

Originally Posted by skelevirus
BWAHAHAHAHAHAH. ROFL

You always find something to lighten things up
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

Very nicely explained! i hate when people compare regular bimmers to ///M's. There is no way the new f10 550i will beat the E60 M5. Test drive one and see for your self. I can race 550i's all day for pinks lol anyone?

Quick Reply: Next Bmw M5 might get turbocharged v10