AWD M5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pinguhk
if AWD is the future why dont they use it in F1 cars.
I know almost all ppl dont know how to drive fast in a car so they make things that help them to drive fast and much safer on the roads.
soon in 10 years time we all dont not to drive the cars and just let the computer do it.
there not fun or skill needed in driving a sports car with loads of gadgets helping you.
for a normal car I agree they should have AWD for safety.

BTW can the AWD be switch off in the New M5?
If so then having it is OK, if it full time then no way.
might as well get a 2nd hand Lambo to drivewith the same money.
Dude, sometimes you sound like such an amateur

1. F1 doesn't use a whole lot of technologies that could be beneficial. But Rally cars use AWD very successfully. You can also be sure that the cornering grip and corner exit speeds are better on AWD. Porsche 911 Turbos, for example, have been AWD since pretty much Porsche started putting out AWD 911s - that must mean something to you, no? Or is 911 just an overpriced VW Beetle to you?

2. Cars that drive themselves will definitely free us up to do more better newer things. Maybe, once cars are finally automated, those of us still interested in emotional involvement with a vehicle will buy some kind of personal aircrafts, and fly instead. Maybe something else. Point is, it is progress and it will happen - and something good will come from it.

3. You cannot have a used Lambo for "same money". Maybe the entry price into a used Lambo is close to an entry price for the new M5 (whatever it may cost, when it is finally out), but the running costs are totally different. There is no way you can possibly expect them to have even similar costs.

4. I seriously doubt the AWD in F10 M5 will be driver-switchable. Most likely it will be an on-demand system that will have an electronic center differential. I'm sure it will still have a very significant rear bias and that the handling of the car will be out of this world.

I can't believe I had to explain these things to you, of all people, man!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by v_therussian

3. You cannot have a used Lambo for "same money". Maybe the entry price into a used Lambo is close to an entry price for the new M5 (whatever it may cost, when it is finally out), but the running costs are totally different. There is no way you can possibly expect them to have even similar costs.
I am amateur that why need to learn more from you guys

For number 3 yes you can get a lambo for the same price as a new M5 in HK
M5 cost $210,526 usd in HK

The gray Murcielago Lambo cost $228,205usd in HK
http://www.carcity.com.hk/product/list.aspx?bid=7

so why would you get a M5???
this is why it is very hard to sell M5 in HK
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pinguhk
I am amateur that why need to learn more from you guys

For number 3 yes you can get a lambo for the same price as a new M5 in HK
M5 cost $210,526 usd in HK

The gray Murcielago Lambo cost $228,205usd in HK
http://www.carcity.c...list.aspx?bid=7

so why would you get a M5???
this is why it is very hard to sell M5 in HK
Yeah, right, you're an amateur You're one of the old-timers on this forum, buddy

And whoa! If you can get a Murci - not Gallardo - for roughly the same money, hellz yeah, you should definitely go for the Lambo!!! Still, maintenance on it doesn't compare... and hey, its still 200+ grand

Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I like you guys...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonymac
I like you guys...

I also like you guys too
it fun posting on this forum
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Yeah, right, you're an amateur You're one of the old-timers on this forum, buddy

And whoa! If you can get a Murci - not Gallardo - for roughly the same money, hellz yeah, you should definitely go for the Lambo!!! Still, maintenance on it doesn't compare... and hey, its still 200+ grand
well for that kind of $$$ I would not get any of them.
I put all the money into the stocks and wait few more years and get my dream car which is the BDS
Old 05-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

1. F1 doesn't use a whole lot of technologies that could be beneficial. But Rally cars use AWD very successfully. You can also be sure that the cornering grip and corner exit speeds are better on AWD. Porsche 911 Turbos, for example, have been AWD since pretty much Porsche started putting out AWD 911s - that must mean something to you, no? Or is 911 just an overpriced VW Beetle to you?

2 things: F1 is the epitome of automotive engineering, and they don't use AWD, in fact none of the series that race on pavement use AWD - only WRC. The rest are almost exclusively RWD. Second, yes the 911 is a glorified Beetle on steroids, that doesn't mean it can't be cool - they started using AWD to try to keep their customers alive since the first 30 years of the design had an inherent snap-oversteer problem.

I know you love the AWD's Vladdy, but the F10 is already a heavy car, and the AWD system just makes it heavier and makes it much harder to get the 50/50 weight distribution BMW is famous for. Not to mention the hit to fuel economy that AWD gives you.

But the best reason to NOT have AWD on the new M5? Having to put more stupid badges on an M car, like the xDrive X5 35i - ridiculous.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by pjinca
2 things: F1 is the epitome of automotive engineering, and they don't use AWD, in fact none of the series that race on pavement use AWD - only WRC. The rest are almost exclusively RWD. Second, yes the 911 is a glorified Beetle on steroids, that doesn't mean it can't be cool - they started using AWD to try to keep their customers alive since the first 30 years of the design had an inherent snap-oversteer problem.

I know you love the AWD's Vladdy, but the F10 is already a heavy car, and the AWD system just makes it heavier and makes it much harder to get the 50/50 weight distribution BMW is famous for. Not to mention the hit to fuel economy that AWD gives you.

But the best reason to NOT have AWD on the new M5? Having to put more stupid badges on an M car, like the xDrive X5 35i - ridiculous.
awd gives cars the capability to launch harder. just look how quick the new 550i x-drive is.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca

after adding the AWD crap on it. I bet the car will cost $236,842usd in HK or more.
for that kind of money it is not worth it at all in HK.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributors

30% of new car sales will be AWD by 2015

http://www.freep.com/article/20110428/COL14/104280377/Mark-Phelan-AWD-helps-sell-luxury-Ford-GM-use-systems-build-top-brands?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

now I know why BMW whats the AWD in there cars to sell more.

Quick Reply: AWD M5?