F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

ZSP v. 2TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibimmer346
Page 34 of the press release says 6-speed manual or 8-speed auto. Then it compares the 8-speed auto to the "previous" 6-speed auto... meaning in the E60.

I have yet to hear of any F10 model with an auto that isn't 8-speed. Even the 520d has the 8-speed auto tranny available.

The different options in the U.S. are 6MT, 8AT, or Sport 8AT. I went with 6MT and it is really smooth!
True!
It is exactly as you say. You have three choices for any F10 model - 6 speed manual , 8 speed auto (tuned for comfort - it's the std gearbox for the 550i over here) and 8 speed Sport Auto w paddles (which is basically the same gearbox as std but with the difference that it allows you to select a sportier mode that affects gas response and gear shift timings - with option Damper Contol it also affects the chassie).
The Sport auto also have a shift lever setup with a slightly different design than standard auto.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Members

So, when you add the auto sports trans w/paddles adds an additional sports setting to zsp?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by FlaGuy
So, when you add the auto sports trans w/paddles adds an additional sports setting to zsp?
It's my understanding that the standard 8sp auto gearbox can be put in sports mode by moving the gear lever to the left. Then you also get the posibility to manually change gears using the lever.

With the 8sp sports auto gearbox you also get Driving Dynamics Control with a button next to the gear lever. This can change the steering and the accelerator response.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thanx for the clarification everyone RE: 8 speed auto-transmission....

now BTT:

anymore thoughts on 2TB and ZSP

seems 2TB only effects the transmission..

ZSP: does it still include ARS? And the ZDH (dynamic handling) gives extra control over setting the suspension....sort of like a standard 8 gear auto or ordering the 2TB to give you more control over the transmission......
Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FlaGuy
In the process of gathering information about the different handling packages available so I can make an informed purchase. I plan on buying the 535i here in the US. I want a my driving experience to have the best if both worlds. The ability to have a "tight" and fun BMW feel as well as a nice comfort ride when necessary. I have visited my local dealership but have been unable to find options that allow me to make a well-informed decision. I look forward to everyone's opinions and facts regarding this matter. Thank you in advance!
Transmissions:

6MT or 8sp std. 8sp has one button for driving dynamics, didn?t like it.

Sport Auto Transmission, same 8sp auto with shift paddles and normal, sport, sport+ settings. In the US this transmission requires either the ZSP (Sport Package) or ZMP (M Sport Package).

Sport Package for the 535i:

255 Sports leather steering wheel
2K3 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with performance run-flat tires
(19x8.5, 245/40 R19 front and 19x9.0, 275/35 R19 rear)
456 Multi-contour seats
760 Shadowline exterior trim
840 Increased top speed limiter
(Requires Leather Dakota or Nappa Leather on indicated models )

M Sport Package for the 535i

223 Electronic Damping Control
229 Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
2ND 19" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels style 351M-with performance run-flat tires
(19x8.5, 245/40 R19 front and 19x9.0, 275/35 R19 rear)
2VA Adaptive Drive
456 Multi-contour seats
4MR Aluminum Hexagon interior trim
or 4B5 Light wood trim
or 4B9 Aluminium Trim
or 4CE Anthracite Wood Trim
710 M steering wheel
715 Aerodynamic kit
760 Shadowline exterior trim
775 Anthracite headliner
840 Increased top speed limiter
(Not in combination with ZSP or ZDH on restricted models )
(Requires Leather Dakota or Nappa Leather on indicated models )
(Requires A52, 300, 354, 416, 668, A89 or A90 on indicated models )

Suspension/Handling:

Currently in the US only two ways to change from standard base, add the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH) or get the M Sport Package which basically includes the DHP.

Dynamic Handling Package for the 535i:

223 Electronic Damping Control
229 Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
2VA Adaptive Drive
(Requires ZSP on indicated models )

Steering/Handling:

Option 2VH is the Integral Active Steering, basically two things, changes the how far you have to turn the steering wheel at different speeds (less turn on the steering wheel at lower speeds) and incorporates four wheel steering (rear wheels can turn in the same or opposite direction of the front wheels, opposite at low speeds, same at high speeds).

Great option, wish I had gotten this one.

Other Handling :

Couple of tuners already have spring sets out that both lower and stiffen the suspension. For example RD Sport has two, one for non-DHP cars (1960410630 for $795) and one for DHP (1960410631 for $895). Both lower the car 30mm.

Comments

I've driven all of these in most combinations with the exception of the M Sports Package, but in the US the differences are cosmetic only as it is based on the DHP (ZDH). I ended up with a 550i with the Sports Package, DHP, Sport auto transmission in terms of handling options and love it. Same packages on the 535i were very good, I just wanted more 'umph'. I did find a place that is installing the RD Sport springs and am in the process of planning a trip to test drive an F10 with a set installed, but looks like that will be a couple weeks down the road.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

so ARS for the 535i only comes with the ZDH, not just ZSP? Where as the 550i comes equipped with ARS, with or without ZDH?

(US Market)

If that's the case, a 550i + 2TB seems like more bang for your buck, as one could get lowering springs to help with ride stiffness, as it seems that's the biggest complaint about the F10..and even from my own test drive I'd be driving in sport+ mode all the time if I were to order the ZDH pkg..
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
so ARS for the 535i only comes with the ZDH, not just ZSP? Where as the 550i comes equipped with ARS, with or without ZDH?

(US Market)

If that's the case, a 550i + 2TB seems like more bang for your buck, as one could get lowering springs to help with ride stiffness, as it seems that's the biggest complaint about the F10..and even from my own test drive I'd be driving in sport+ mode all the time if I were to order the ZDH pkg..
No, in the US on both the 535i and the 550i the only way to get ARS is with either the DHP (ZDH) or the M Sport Package (ZMP).
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
No, in the US on both the 535i and the 550i the only way to get ARS is with either the DHP (ZDH) or the M Sport Package (ZMP).
right, so the ZSP is purely cosmetic...like the sport activity pkg's of the BMW SUV's....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
right, so the ZSP is purely cosmetic...like the sport activity pkg's of the BMW SUV's....
Not really, the ZSP gives you the option to change the transmission programming through the Normal-Sport-etc. settings, as well as having the paddles for manual shifting. This does have an impact on mileage, fairly substantial depending on how/where you're driving.

Edit: Brain fart on my part, you said ZSP and I read it as SAT. You are correct, but note that ZSP is required for some of the other packages. And note that ZSP is worth it for the seats alone!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
Not really, the ZSP gives you the option to change the transmission programming through the Normal-Sport-etc. settings, as well as having the paddles for manual shifting. This does have an impact on mileage, fairly substantial depending on how/where you're driving.

Edit: Brain fart on my part, you said ZSP and I read it as SAT. You are correct, but note that ZSP is required for some of the other packages. And note that ZSP is worth it for the seats alone!
agreed ZSP still worth it, but is ZDH, i mean...after market springs might get a comparable stiffness...please let us know how the RDsport springs feel compared to the ZDH, once you get the chance to test drive one with springs installed.

Quick Reply: ZSP v. 2TB