F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

WINTER TIRE SET UP - F10 535i

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by bobblehead
Here is part of the email I got from my BMW dealer ...

I am just confirming with BMW Canada but no cars in Canada come with TPMS it is a US Option only. Only the E60 generation would have it from factory in the Canadian Market.

Thanks

Jeremy Shelton
Parts Representative
905-967-1788 Parts Direct
1-866-436-8700 Toll Free
Jeremy.Shelton@OpenRoadBMW.ca

I just got the confirmation from BMW Canada. No current Canadian vehicles will have TPMS in your body style.

Thank you

Jeremy Shelton
Parts Representative
905-967-1788 Parts Direct
1-866-436-8700 Toll Free
Jeremy.Shelton@OpenRoadBMW.ca
Ok now I am really confused. Go onto BMW Canada website and configure a 535 and then read what it comes with, it clearly state "TIRE PRESSURE WARNING" SO, Is Tire Pressure Warning different from Tire Pressure Monitor System? I remember on my 2004 E60, I had a couple of flat tires and received a warning in I drive that I had a flat. At that time I Drive could not distinguish which tire was flat only that one of them was. Am I confusing a Tire Pressure Warning with an actual Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

If I am then that chick in the tire store was right ( Yes Rudy ,it was a chick), by telling me the sensor was on the caliper. Ok someone who knows something take over, cause I am starting to feel real dumb now.
Old 10-25-2010 | 12:11 PM
Members

I just emailed to BMW Canada for their feedback. Let's just wait and see what kind of answer they come back with.

Originally Posted by gabman
Ok now I am really confused. Go onto BMW Canada website and configure a 535 and then read what it comes with, it clearly state "TIRE PRESSURE WARNING" SO, Is Tire Pressure Warning different from Tire Pressure Monitor System? I remember on my 2004 E60, I had a couple of flat tires and received a warning in I drive that I had a flat. At that time I Drive could not distinguish which tire was flat only that one of them was. Am I confusing a Tire Pressure Warning with an actual Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

If I am then that chick in the tire store was right ( Yes Rudy ,it was a chick), by telling me the sensor was on the caliper. Ok someone who knows something take over, cause I am starting to feel real dumb now.
Old 10-25-2010 | 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I will be shocked to learn that TPMS is not included on Canadian F10s. Someone is clearly confused here (and I don't think it's me...)
Old 10-25-2010 | 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by bobblehead
I just emailed to BMW Canada for their feedback. Let's just wait and see what kind of answer they come back with.
LOL, I just called my dealer and they don't even know, am going over there now to pick up my winter mats and the Parts manager tells me that he can tell from the valve if there is a monitor on them or not, stay tuned, I am betting they have to take off a wheel to tell.
Old 10-25-2010 | 03:35 PM
Members

My snows came in and I had them put on this weekend (a couple of weeks early). I went with the $495 per wheel BMW package that includes Dunlop Winter Sport 3D RFT and style 17" 327 rims. They look decent in the metal and the ride is fine. A little less sharp in handling but very quiet on the road.WINTER TIRE SET UP - F10 535i-f10-327.jpg
Old 10-25-2010 | 06:11 PM
Contributors

Was at my dealer this aft, they advise pressure sensors located on ABS module and not on valves. So no changing required even if new wheels added.
Old 10-25-2010 | 06:15 PM
Contributors

Yes my dealer told me the TPM's are included , the funny thing though is I spoke to a tire shop who told me that on the F10 the TPM's are on the brake calipers , hence no need to change, find this pretty surprising, anyone have any insight?

Tks
To clarify the $ 3500.00 is without taxes, only includes installation and balancing.
Old 10-25-2010 | 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Hoss NY
My snows came in and I had them put on this weekend (a couple of weeks early). I went with the $495 per wheel BMW package that includes Dunlop Winter Sport 3D RFT and style 17" 327 rims. They look decent in the metal and the ride is fine. A little less sharp in handling but very quiet on the road.Attachment 113413

Was TPMS and labor included?

Sport 3D's are good tires but $1980 for the package is still too expensive, esp. for 17"s. (which to me, looks way too small on the F10)

You can get a much better deal at Tire Rack for the 18" package.
Old 10-25-2010 | 09:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Guys,

I'm about to purchase some snow tires very soon. I know that with snow tires, narrower is better.

So given that, which size should I go with:

245/45R18

--or--

225/50R18

During a "typical" winter in Chicago, there are a lot of times when the roads will be dry so a little performance might be preferable. Do you guys think if I go with 245/45R18, I will give up too much as far as snow traction?
I'd say go for 245/45.
With mostly dry roads I'd surely want a larger footprint adding more friction/traction.
Remember that the rubber is much softer in winter tires. Narrower tires will add some instability on dry roads with the softer rubber and higher side walls.
If you have to do an evasive maneuvre it's good to have that extra stability.
Old 10-25-2010 | 11:50 PM
Members

My Ride: '11 535i Space Grey Met. w/ Blk Dakota Leather, Executive Package, M-Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, 35% tint '06 525i Titanium Silver (retired) Premium pkg, PDC, Logic 7, adaptive headlights std. items - xenons, cold weather pkg mods so far - red euro reflectors, UGDO & compass rearview mirror, 35% tint, H&R Sport Springs, 18" style 124 OEM rims

I wonder if those Falkens would be any good in the winters we have here in Quebec? So far I have researched two 18" winter tire here, the Dunlop Winter Sport 3m RFT $ 420.00 each installed and the Blizzak LM 25 $ 430.00/each both plus tax. If i buy the blizzaks here in Quebec total cost with tax is CAD $ 1950.00 , same tire from Tire Rack shipped to the border on US side ( I would go pick up only 45 mins away),with duty,taxes and freight to border amounts to US $ 1363.00, US dollar is only 3 % so a savings of over $ 500.00. I looked for 18" wheels on Tirerack site for 535 and they claim not to have any for this car. Don't ask me why I am looking at run flats but I am. BTW, how much are you asking for the run flats you are getting rid of? I am guessing I will probably need to replce mine when my lease is up
To answer the earlier reply, I set it up so that the wheel store will do a fitment for me. This way, I can make sure it fits before I take them as I also want a fit without spacers. I may add spacers later but right now, I want a good fit. The rims look like they will fit without any problems but the fitting will make sure.

Regardig the Falkens, I think they will be fine for the winters out here on the west (wet coast). In the Nordic winter tire tests, yes, the Falkens didn't finish very well. In fact, if my memory is correct, I think they finished last. However, look at the test further. The Falken's were the best/one of the best on wet pavement and of course, dry pavement. I also read that they are pretty good on slushy roads and in light snow. Yes, they are not good in heavy deep snow which we just about never get. QC is definitely colder but if your roads are mainly wet/dry (as a result of the high salt usage)then I think the Falken's will be fine. Check out some of the reviews online. Another thing is the Falken's are V rated which will really help preserve the handling of our cars.

I also checked with my dealer regarding the TPMS. THey indicate that the tires are equipped with metal valvestems which indicate a TPMS on the wheel to directly measure the pressure. My 06 E60 has the ABS rotational TPMS system. Not very accurate as it measures pressure by rotational differences in tires low on air. My E60 is equippend with regular rubber valve stems and it does not have any sensors on the wheels.

Regarding my RFT's that come with the car, my car will be equipped with the sport package. Hence, my front's will be P245/40R19's and rears P275/35R19's. My car is in production this week and it will be another 3-4 weeks before it arrives. Hence, I hadn't really thought too much about what I'm going to do with the RFT's. If you're interested, yes I will definitely sell at a great price. The tires will only have about 20km on them - the distance it takes me to get to the tire shop from the dealer. Send me an email / message if you're interested and we can discuss.

Quick Reply: WINTER TIRE SET UP - F10 535i