F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

WINTER TIRE SET UP - F10 535i

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gabman
Has anyone yet purchased winter wheels/tires?
The best (non-stud) winter wheels in the Nordic combined car magazine (Oct '10) test was the Continental Ultra Grip Ice+.
Next best was Continental ContiVikingContact 5 and then the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R.
Fourth best was Michelin I-Ice and that I got.

But not all tires are available in the the size 245/45 18" that I need, therefore the Michelin's for me.

17" rims looks like a joke on the F10.

Nothing but OEM for me.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by bobblehead
Are you sure the dealer pkg 18" include TPMS ? If that's the case, then $3500 ALL incl & TPMS is actually a good deal(from the dealer pkg pt of view). TPMS would have been another $300+. The best quote I got is $3600 (all incl. but without the TPMS) in GTA, Ontario, Canada.
Yes my dealer told me the TPM's are included , the funny thing though is I spoke to a tire shop who told me that on the F10 the TPM's are on the brake calipers , hence no need to change, find this pretty surprising, anyone have any insight?

Tks
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yes my dealer told me the TPM's are included , the funny thing though is I spoke to a tire shop who told me that on the F10 the TPM's are on the brake calipers , hence no need to change, find this pretty surprising, anyone have any insight?

Tks
I have some insight...

That guy at the tire shop you spoke to is clueless!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by bobblehead
Are you sure the dealer pkg 18" include TPMS ? If that's the case, then $3500 ALL incl & TPMS is actually a good deal(from the dealer pkg pt of view). TPMS would have been another $300+. The best quote I got is $3600 (all incl. but without the TPMS) in GTA, Ontario, Canada.
Yes dealer said TPM's are included. My car is leased for 39 months hence 3 winters, I am leaning towards just getting 18" winter runflats
and switching them over on wheels. I took tire/wheel insurance so I have some coverage on wheels. Given what I have experienced with brake dust over the summer, my wheels always look like crap anyways. I can't justify spending $ 3500.00 on wheels and tires for 3 years. I guess if I was keeping the car longer I would be more apt to getting winter wheels.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jlgjwu
I'll be picking up my 535i M-Sport order around the end of Nov. My car is a week 43 (ie this coming up week) production. As such, I've already purchased my winter wheel setup. I live on the west coast in the Vancouver area and our winters are not as severe as back east. The snow tires are only mandatory in Quebec from what I'm told. As our winters are milder and we don't have to deal with deep snow, I decided to go with V rated high performance snow tires. I picked up the Falken Eurowinter HS439 which reviews indicate they're good in light snow, wet and slushy conditions. That pretty much describes most west coast winters.

On rim size, I really asked alot of questions and did alot of research. In the end, I'm still not 100% certain if the 535i will take 17" rims. The reason is that the 535i and 550i have larger front rotors than the 528i. The 535i front rotors are 13.7" in diameter while the 528i has 13" rotors. The rears are the same size in both models 13". I've had 2 dealers tell me that the 17" rims will not fit because of this. Some have said they're not sure and would have to try. Based on this and the fact that it would be a big pain in the rear to have to return an online purchase (eg. Tirerack), I decided to be safe and go with the 18" rims. They will also look better no doubt as I'm not really sure how the Tirerack ones will look.

If you have the 528i, the 17" will fit. It's just the 535i and 550i that are uncertain.

I decided to go with an M6 replica rim so that it's an exact fit on the centre hub bore rather than having to use hub centric rings that would be needed with the Tirerack option. The rims are Replika brand and you can see info on them on their website

www.replika.ca

I've been told that their quality is good. I got the 18 x 8.5 with a 37mm offset which is a better fit for the 245/45R18 size snow tires. After you do the offset calculations, these rims will sit in 1mm from the stock non sport OEM setup (18 x 8 with 30mm offset). As 1 mm isn't noticable, I think these will be fine and the M6 replicas should look pretty good IMO. I think they'll work just fine for winter as my 19" M-sport rims will be my summer rims.

I purchased the rims from Volco tire here in Vancouver. They also have an online retail site (same company) called

www.1010tires.com

I think that they may even have free shipping on wheel and tire packages for Canadian customers.

The Falken tires are $215 each which is $25 more (after you factor in the small exchange rate) that they are in the US from discount tire direct. That's too small a difference to bother getting them from the US. This way, they also fit the rims and tires for me and will take care of things if I have any fitment issues. The rims were on sale for $200 CAD each including the BMW oem centre caps. Not too bad for an 18" rim and way cheaper than OEM. In total, my package was around $1600 CAD + tax.

On the TPMS sensors, see this website

www.tpmswholsalers.com

They sell the BMW oem TPMS sensors. These are made by the oem names Beru. The sensors have Beru's name stamped on them vs. the BMW logo. They are the identical item just without the BMW logo. The cost is appox $34 US each + another $10 for the valve stem. This is the best price I found anywhere and there was even free shipping to my mailbox just across the border. I wasn't even going to bother with the TPMS until I saw these.

While I was doing tires, I also decided to get rid of the summer tires the car is coming with. From all that I've heard and from my RFT experience in my E60, I decided to get rid of the RFT's in my new F10 535i. Another reason is I really don't understand why BMW would equip the new 5 (especially ones that come with the sport and M-Sport pkgs) with grand touring tires which is what the OEM tires are. I really want to enjoy the handling of the new 5 so I've ordered some max performance summer tires which I'm sure will make the car handle way better. These are much cheaper from Tirerack in the US which is where I ordered the tires and will get them installed onto my 19" rims.

As I'm getting rid of the RFT and using non RFT snow tires, I'm getting a portable air compressor and tire plugs. I'm going to stay away from the sealant stuff.

I hope this info helps somewhat.....
I wonder if those Falkens would be any good in the winters we have here in Quebec? So far I have researched two 18" winter tire here, the Dunlop Winter Sport 3m RFT $ 420.00 each installed and the Blizzak LM 25 $ 430.00/each both plus tax. If i buy the blizzaks here in Quebec total cost with tax is CAD $ 1950.00 , same tire from Tire Rack shipped to the border on US side ( I would go pick up only 45 mins away),with duty,taxes and freight to border amounts to US $ 1363.00, US dollar is only 3 % so a savings of over $ 500.00. I looked for 18" wheels on Tirerack site for 535 and they claim not to have any for this car. Don't ask me why I am looking at run flats but I am. BTW, how much are you asking for the run flats you are getting rid of? I am guessing I will probably need to replce mine when my lease is up
Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear gabman

Please note the posts from the real winter countries!
You might learn something!

Not all tires are sold on Tire Rack.
Those "European" winter tires suck on actual winter roads!

Ouh dear o dear... icebear :thumbsdown:
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Dear gabman

Please note the posts from the real winter countries!
You might learn something!

Not all tires are sold on Tire Rack.
Those "European" winter tires suck on actual winter roads!

Ouh dear o dear... icebear :thumbsdown:
RIC

I hear you !!! Just trying to balance safety and road noise into something I can live with. Being from the cold NORTH, we have plenty of days of sub zero temperatures( -25 - 30Celcius) and lots of snow, we also consume 1,000's of tons of road salt here so the actual number of days when the roads are actually covered in snow are no more than say 10 - 15 days during a winter season. I have had my fill of noisy winter tires on dry pavement, Pirelli's from my last E60 were unbearable after 1 winter.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

Hey gabman

Seems that we live and share the same winter hell of the planet Tellus.

I drive with the winters for about 5 months a year, so therefore
I put a lot of resources on good winter tires.

Thrust me, the Nordic winter tire tests is the best in the world!

US and mid-Europe don't know nothing about the winter conditions we have.

Most Nordic car drivers use winter tires with studs (some 90% - the best
tire is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7) but some of us wants to drive with
comfort (soundless) and therefore goes with the suddless winter tires -
FOR NORDIC STREET CONDITIONS!

The four tires I (the magazine test) recommended are the best for your car!
Don't try to save a few bucks, that can put you and your family at risk.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Members

Here is part of the email I got from my BMW dealer ...

I am just confirming with BMW Canada but no cars in Canada come with TPMS it is a US Option only. Only the E60 generation would have it from factory in the Canadian Market.

Thanks

Jeremy Shelton
Parts Representative
905-967-1788 Parts Direct
1-866-436-8700 Toll Free
Jeremy.Shelton@OpenRoadBMW.ca

I just got the confirmation from BMW Canada. No current Canadian vehicles will have TPMS in your body style.

Thank you

Jeremy Shelton
Parts Representative
905-967-1788 Parts Direct
1-866-436-8700 Toll Free
Jeremy.Shelton@OpenRoadBMW.ca

Tks
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Guys,

I'm about to purchase some snow tires very soon. I know that with snow tires, narrower is better.

So given that, which size should I go with:

245/45R18

--or--

225/50R18

During a "typical" winter in Chicago, there are a lot of times when the roads will be dry so a little performance might be preferable. Do you guys think if I go with 245/45R18, I will give up too much as far as snow traction?

Quick Reply: WINTER TIRE SET UP - F10 535i