F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Why you may now want to wait until September production

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018
Talking

Today, BMW North America announced to dealers some new features that will be available beginning with September SOP...

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the following features will be available on most (if not all) BMW models:

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.
Beginning with September production there will be enhancements for BMW Assist with Bluetooth (639) and iPod/USB Adapter (6FL). These enhancements will extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances and are not ?retrofittable? to pre-September builds.

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth (639)
The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support. Multiple innovations will debut with BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

* Mobile Office: Now with the industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes all through the iDrive system providing a great integration of mobile life into the vehicle. It is important that drivers maintain focus on the road, and to assist them in maintaining that focus, the text is restricted and only fully displayed when the vehicle is parked. However, with the voice control system included with navigation, the messages are read aloud via text-to-speech so the driver can keep his or her eyes on the road. (Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set T.B.D.)

* External Call Lists: The new external call list handling provides a more seamless experience by downloading the ?re-dial? and ?received calls list? at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.

* Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter (6FL) This option has also been enhanced with many exciting features.

* iPod One-wire integration: No longer will an iPod connection require the ?Y-cable?. The original iPod USB cable is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. This simplifies the connection by not requiring the aux-input. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the HiFi system via USB. Therefore as of September, the Y-Cable will no longer be included with iPod/USB Adapter (6FL).

* Album Cover Art: The ability to display album cover art will also be included with the iPod/USB Adapter. If cover art is contained in the metadata of the song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.

* Voice Control of Devices: In combination with the voice control system included with navigation, the driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title by simply speaking the words.

* Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: Lastly, in combination with BMW Assist, the USB port of the iPod/USB Adapter can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)

The following features are available on the 5 Series as of September SOP:

xDrive
Two exciting updates start with September production for the 5 Series. First is the availability of two new models, the 535i xDrive and 550i xDrive priced at $51,900 and $62,000 respectively. Pricing and equipment information can be found in bulletin B-1-0610-11-5 5 Series Sedan xDrive Pricing released on June 18th.

M Sport Package
The M Sport Package (ZMP) returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package starts where the Dynamic Handling Package leaves off but brings a number of M style visual cues. They are: The M Aerodynamic Kit for a sportier and aggressive look, M Steering Wheel for the best ergonomic grip, Aluminum Hexagon interior trim (wood available), and to finalize the look are the M double-spoke light alloy wheels (size 18? on the 528i and 19? on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive ? RWD models offer performance run-flat tires and xDrive models offer all-season run flat tires).

Style 351 M 19"
Why you may now want to wait until September production-351-m-19.jpg

Style 350 M 18"
Why you may now want to wait until September production-350-m-18.jpg

M Sport Package
Why you may now want to wait until September production-f10-m-sport-1.jpg

M Sport Package
Why you may now want to wait until September production-f10-m-sport-2.jpg

5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2010)
Gas Guzzler Tax
As a result of final confirmatory fuel economy testing, the highway and combined values for the 550i Gran Turismo have been increased by one MPG. This eliminates the gas guzzler tax on vehicles with a Monroney label dated after 6/24/2010.

5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2011)
535i xDrive
Model Year 2011 for the 5 Series Gran Turismo starts with September production. With that brings the addition of a new model, the 535i xDrive at a base price of $58,300 completing the 5 Series Gran Turismo product offering. The equipment profile is the same as the 535i rear wheel drive model however Integral Active Steering (2VH) is not available.

Equipment and Price Updates
The following optional equipment updates are available as of MY11:

Camera Package (ZCE)
-$1,200 Rear-view camera (3AG)
-Side and top view cameras (5DL)

Sports Package (ZSP)
-$2,200 Addition of 840 Increased top speed limiter
-xDrive models will have the same contents as their rear wheel drive counterparts including wheel style with the exception of the tires. Rear wheel drive models come with run flat performance tires on the 19? wheel and xDrive models receive run flat all-season tires. Both 8 Cylinder models have the upgrade option for 20? style 316 which are only offered with mixed performance tires for $1,000.

Priority 1 Changes The following have been moved to Priority 1
-Luxury Seating Package (ZLU)
-Nappa Leather (NA)

Gas Guzzler Tax
Currently there is no Gas Guzzler tax for any Model Year 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo model. This eliminates the Gas Guzzler tax on vehicles that have been wholesaled after June 24, 2010.

Instrument Cluster Upgrade
The top instrument cluster that is included with navigation will be included on non-navigation vehicles. This increases the size of the electronic portion of the display from 5.7? to 9.2?, improves the graphic detail presented, and enhances the functionality by increasing the amount of information that can be displayed:

Base display:
Why you may now want to wait until September production-base.jpg

Top display:
Why you may now want to wait until September production-top.jpg

I'm seriously considering changing my production date, if I still can, to September now!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Hmm... Very tempting! May have to go test drive again as my main concern on the F10 is the feel of the car rather than the styling. But being able to get the M-Sports pack and these other goodies might bring me back from the M3 camp. My current lease ends Oct 31st so I could order a car for Sept or later production to get this, we'll see...

Edit: as I think about this, the M3 comes with the same hard drive based iDrive. I wonder if any of these technology upgrades will be available for the M3...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Whoa... awesome. As much as I hate on the exterior, the innovation inside is simply stunning.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

september is the earliest I can order.....

thanx for sharing professor

is the connecteddrive only exclusive to RIM/BB devices? The articles I've read only mention that brand only...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

I like the M-Sport front bumper......wonder if I can get that individually?

I also like the 19" 351 wheels...looks better than the ones that came with mine.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Petes550i
I like the M-Sport front bumper......wonder if I can get that individually?

I also like the 19" 351 wheels...looks better than the ones that came with mine.
I'm sure you'll be able to retrofit that bumper once the kit is actually released...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I'm sure you'll be able to retrofit that bumper once the kit is actually released...

That'll be sweet!...I can't wait!.....hopefully, I can get just the front bumper without buying the whole kit.

(Didn't somebody mention that the M-Sport kit won't be released until the F10 M5 was out?.....maybe BMW changed their minds.)
Old 07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

That'll be sweet!...I can't wait!.....hopefully, I can get just the front bumper without buying the whole kit.

(Didn't somebody mention that the M-Sport kit won't be released until the F10 M5 was out?.....maybe BMW changed their minds.)
once the parts are released and part numbers are made known, should not be too hard to order just the front bumper, members have done that for the e60, should be no different for the f10...

I believe rudy mentioned in his status 112 order thread that the m sport pkg won't be released until the m5 was out, but I believe he was just relaying info his CA gave him....obviously, info has changed
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

You will need the front bumper and side skirts to get the M-Tech look.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks Rudy for the details and yes you should change your order to September build. I love the display WOW!!!

Originally Posted by Rudy
Today, BMW North America announced to dealers some new features that will be available beginning with September SOP...

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the following features will be available on most (if not all) BMW models:

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.
Beginning with September production there will be enhancements for BMW Assist with Bluetooth (639) and iPod/USB Adapter (6FL). These enhancements will extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances and are not ?retrofittable? to pre-September builds.

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth (639)
The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support. Multiple innovations will debut with BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

* Mobile Office: Now with the industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes all through the iDrive system providing a great integration of mobile life into the vehicle. It is important that drivers maintain focus on the road, and to assist them in maintaining that focus, the text is restricted and only fully displayed when the vehicle is parked. However, with the voice control system included with navigation, the messages are read aloud via text-to-speech so the driver can keep his or her eyes on the road. (Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set T.B.D.)

* External Call Lists: The new external call list handling provides a more seamless experience by downloading the ?re-dial? and ?received calls list? at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.

* Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter (6FL) This option has also been enhanced with many exciting features.

* iPod One-wire integration: No longer will an iPod connection require the ?Y-cable?. The original iPod USB cable is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. This simplifies the connection by not requiring the aux-input. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the HiFi system via USB. Therefore as of September, the Y-Cable will no longer be included with iPod/USB Adapter (6FL).

* Album Cover Art: The ability to display album cover art will also be included with the iPod/USB Adapter. If cover art is contained in the metadata of the song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.

* Voice Control of Devices: In combination with the voice control system included with navigation, the driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title by simply speaking the words.

* Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: Lastly, in combination with BMW Assist, the USB port of the iPod/USB Adapter can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)

The following features are available on the 5 Series as of September SOP:

xDrive
Two exciting updates start with September production for the 5 Series. First is the availability of two new models, the 535i xDrive and 550i xDrive priced at $51,900 and $62,000 respectively. Pricing and equipment information can be found in bulletin B-1-0610-11-5 5 Series Sedan xDrive Pricing released on June 18th.

M Sport Package
The M Sport Package (ZMP) returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package starts where the Dynamic Handling Package leaves off but brings a number of M style visual cues. They are: The M Aerodynamic Kit for a sportier and aggressive look, M Steering Wheel for the best ergonomic grip, Aluminum Hexagon interior trim (wood available), and to finalize the look are the M double-spoke light alloy wheels (size 18? on the 528i and 19? on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive ? RWD models offer performance run-flat tires and xDrive models offer all-season run flat tires).

Style 351 M 19"
Attachment 109099

Style 350 M 18"
Attachment 109100

M Sport Package
Attachment 109101

M Sport Package
Attachment 109102

5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2010)
Gas Guzzler Tax
As a result of final confirmatory fuel economy testing, the highway and combined values for the 550i Gran Turismo have been increased by one MPG. This eliminates the gas guzzler tax on vehicles with a Monroney label dated after 6/24/2010.

5 Series Gran Turismo (Model Year 2011)
535i xDrive
Model Year 2011 for the 5 Series Gran Turismo starts with September production. With that brings the addition of a new model, the 535i xDrive at a base price of $58,300 completing the 5 Series Gran Turismo product offering. The equipment profile is the same as the 535i rear wheel drive model however Integral Active Steering (2VH) is not available.

Equipment and Price Updates
The following optional equipment updates are available as of MY11:

Camera Package (ZCE)
-$1,200 Rear-view camera (3AG)
-Side and top view cameras (5DL)

Sports Package (ZSP)
-$2,200 Addition of 840 Increased top speed limiter
-xDrive models will have the same contents as their rear wheel drive counterparts including wheel style with the exception of the tires. Rear wheel drive models come with run flat performance tires on the 19? wheel and xDrive models receive run flat all-season tires. Both 8 Cylinder models have the upgrade option for 20? style 316 which are only offered with mixed performance tires for $1,000.

Priority 1 Changes The following have been moved to Priority 1
-Luxury Seating Package (ZLU)
-Nappa Leather (NA)

Gas Guzzler Tax
Currently there is no Gas Guzzler tax for any Model Year 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo model. This eliminates the Gas Guzzler tax on vehicles that have been wholesaled after June 24, 2010.

Instrument Cluster Upgrade
The top instrument cluster that is included with navigation will be included on non-navigation vehicles. This increases the size of the electronic portion of the display from 5.7? to 9.2?, improves the graphic detail presented, and enhances the functionality by increasing the amount of information that can be displayed:

Base display:
Attachment 109103

Top display:
Attachment 109104

I'm seriously considering changing my production date, if I still can, to September now!

Quick Reply: Why you may now want to wait until September production