5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   What would YOU do? 2013 528i (prem/tech) v 2012 528i (prem/tech) - hel (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/what-would-you-do-2013-528i-prem-tech-v-2012-528i-prem-tech-hel-124330/)

DitrasetMan 06-20-2012 03:00 PM

My friends,

I am engaged in a huge debate with myself as to what I should do. I am going to buy a 528i through BMW's Executive Preference Program (EPP), which allows me to purchase the vehicle through my company (since it has over 500 employees) for $3,000 below dealer invoice - no questions asked (and no additional negotiation permitted).

Here are the two options I am debating between:

2013 528i
Premium Package
(316 - Power tailgate, 322 - Comfort Access system, 655 - Satellite radio, LC - Dakota Leather)
Technology Package
(609 - Navigation system, 610 - Head-up Display, 615 - Online Information Services, 6NF -Smartphone Integration, 6NR - BMW Apps, 6UH - Real Time Traffic Information, 6WA - Instrument cluster with extended contents)
MSRP: $53,795
Invoice: $49,710
Grand Total: $50,612.60 ($49,710 (invoice) - $3,000 (EPP discount) X 6% (Sales Tax) + $1,100 (dealer fees/tag))

OR

2012 528i
Premium Package
(316 Power tailgate, 319 - Universal Garage Door Opener, 508 - Park Distance Control, LC - Dakota Leather)
Technology Package
(3AG - Rear-view camera, 609 Navigation system)
& (separately added on) 6NR - BMW Apps
MSRP: $51,925
Invoice: $48,000
Grand Total $48,880.00 ($48,000 (invoice) - $3,000 (EPP discount) x 6% (Sales Tax) + $1,100 (dealer fees/tag))

Which 528i would you buy?

Ok, the most immediately apparent difference is the price: the 2013 cost $1,700 more than the 2012 (part of that is due to the $600 increase in MSRP for the 2013, and part of it is the price of the packages)

But, as you can see, the packages come with DIFFERENT items:

I'm leaning towards buying the 2013, especially considering that the 2012 production run has ended, and BMW is obviously going to try to unload the remainder of them at somewhat of a discount prior to the arrival of the 2013's (but unfortunately my deal through the EPP program always remains the same - $3,000 below invoice).

THOUGHTS? Your comments are GREATLY appreciated.

tonyhtx 06-20-2012 06:21 PM

I like the head-up display!

turboawd 06-20-2012 06:57 PM

i'd go with the 2013. i could live without park distance....i dont rely on it anyways. comfort access is a nice feature that i'm sure you'd like.
          i'd also take heads up display over rear view camera.
          and the updated nav is nice.

just go ahead and order the 2013! in my opinion, you wouldnt be saving enough $ buying the 2012 to make it worth it.

west 06-20-2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by turboawd (Post 1451698)
          i'd go with the 2013. i could live without park distance....i dont rely on it anyways. comfort access is a nice feature that i'm sure you'd like.
          i'd also take heads up display over rear view camera.
          and the updated nav is nice.

just go ahead and order the 2013! in my opinion, you wouldnt be saving enough $ buying the 2012 to make it worth it.

+1

DitrasetMan 06-21-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by west (Post 1451735)
          +1

Based on the above, I am going to purchase a 2013 528i and no longer look at the 2012. I am hoping to keep this car for many years (I have been driving my current car for 13 years).

Now, my next questions involve purchasing the options (I think) I will want (at this time, never having owned a BMW before - so feel free to tell me I'm wrong).

Thanks everyone!!

DitrasetMan 06-23-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by DitrasetMan (Post 1452013)
                  Based on the above, I am going to purchase a 2013 528i and no longer look at the 2012. I am hoping to keep this car for many years (I have been driving my current car for 13 years).

Now, my next questions involve purchasing the options (I think) I will want (at this time, never having owned a BMW before - so feel free to tell me I'm wrong).

Thanks everyone!!

Anyone have any comments to these questions?

turboawd 06-23-2012 07:41 PM

Thanks everyone!!

Originally Posted by DitrasetMan (Post 1452308)
                                  Anyone have any comments to these questions?

i dont have headsup, but i'd imagine it'd be a nice option to have.
                                  comfort access also allows you to start car without inserting key. you can leave key in pocket to open and start car. i'd probably get that feature.
                                  power tailgate would also be nice too.
                                  as for between park distance and rear camera, get whatever makes your wife happy, lol.
                                  extended warranty? i never get those.
                                  not sure about iphone adapter.

Gilgorm 07-05-2012 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone!!

HUD is nice and you can't miss it since its in front of your vision all the time. It just saves the occasional look at the speedo and the Nav. NOT a must for me.
                                          Absolutely love the Comfort Access. Wouldn't leave home without it. No struggling for key to open car or start it. Just leave it in your pocket. Touch any handle to let your passengers in when you get in. Love it.
                                          My wife insists on PDC but the additional camera is especially good when backing into tight spaces. Choice of one only, would probably go with PDC but worth price of admission for both.

I just did a deal yesterday for a 2012 535i Xdrive. The additional cost for Cert. Series was $1923CDN (taxes in) but $3900CDN in next four years (before warranty expires). I only keep cars about 4 years so passed, but I felt it was a good deal. New Cert. Series from dealer is now a full warranty identical to OEM 4 year. Maintenance is NOT included in the extra two years.

No comment about adapter.

aretardedorange 07-05-2012 07:49 PM

I would go for the 13. I think its worth the extra $2k. That is expensive price for the 2012 btw, I was getting a 2012 for $46.5k (OTD) fully loaded minus sports.

JeffCharger 07-06-2012 03:26 AM

+1 for comfort access. I got it on mine, and wasn't really interested in it.... But now find it great! It's so nice not having to get keys out....now I want it on other cars and the house!

I'm not big on extended warranties. If they want to sell you one, then they must make money on it. I will "self insure" the warranty by looking after my car.