F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Video of the electrically folding tow hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who haven't had the chance to see it live yet.
Here's a video clip I took this evening, showing how the automatic tow hitch operates. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA7rMgWJ8M
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

that wouldnt tow jack where im from but thats pretty sweet!!! did u invent it?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skelevirus
that wouldnt tow jack where im from but thats pretty sweet!!! did u invent it?
Max towing capacity is about 2 tons.
This is BMW option 3AC.

Most cars over here have a tow hitch - for boat trailers, caravans and simple U-Haul trailers.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Very nice! I have ordered the hitch for my F11. Had a bad experience a while ago when I tried to haul some sand with a Volvo V50 with the small 1.6 litre ethanol engine. In the end both the car and the sand got hauled by a big truck to get us out of there.

Can you operate the hitch from the drivers seat and do you need a swedish adapter for the electrical outlet? I know my father-in-law needs the adapter for his 330xdT.

Btw, If you have the rear camera, some wide angle option steps in when you pull out the hitch so it can be seen on the screen.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gorban
Can you operate the hitch from the drivers seat and do you need a swedish adapter for the electrical outlet? I know my father-in-law needs the adapter for his 330xdT.

Btw, If you have the rear camera, some wide angle option steps in when you pull out the hitch so it can be seen on the screen.
You operate it with a button in the trunk and it comes with a adapter as standard. It even recognize if the adapter is put on so it won't fold back unless you first remove the adapter.

Yes, there is a special tow hitch view. The cam swiches viewing angle so you'll be looking right down on the hitch ball. It also superimpose guide lines in the picture so it is very easy to hok up a trailer. The center guideline is steering sensitive so you can see exactly where the car/hitch ball is, relatively to the trailer.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Scandic24
You operate it with a button in the trunk and it comes with a adapter as standard. It even recognize if the adapter is put on so it won't fold back unless you first remove the adapter.

Yes, there is a special tow hitch view. The cam swiches viewing angle so you'll be looking right down on the hitch ball. It also superimpose guide lines in the picture so it is very easy to hok up a trailer. The center guideline is steering sensitive so you can see exactly where the car/hitch ball is, relatively to the trailer.
That is brilliant!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Is it just me or does that look really rude?

Cool though!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MarcsOnFire
Is it just me or does that look really rude?

Cool though!
OMG - that could be tricked out to really get someone's attention
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Contributors

OK, this is just too cool. Especially with the camera view. For those of you who haven't been to Europe, sedans like the 5er are often used to haul campers, etc. so many have this style hitch.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
eg4
Members

Originally Posted by AP Sales
OK, this is just too cool. Especially with the camera view. For those of you who haven't been to Europe, sedans like the 5er are often used to haul campers, etc. so many have this style hitch.
I have an F11 on order with this and camera and can't wait to hook up my boat next summer. To bad the button is in the trunk though, even cooler if you could do the pull the hich out and do a perfect hook up without getting out of the car. Could also be usefull if you wanted to signal that the car behind is too close.

Quick Reply: Video of the electrically folding tow hitch