F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

VDC question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. I am currently in the process of ordering a new 520d saloon. I am looking at the VDC option but have a question. Once the VDC has been set to a mode ('Comfort', 'Normal', 'Sport') does the system remain in the mode next time you go back and start the car?

If it resets to 'normal' everytime and you have to change it then I think I would forget most of the time thus rendering it usless!

Anyone know the answer? Comments.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Imperial Blue, Grey, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling, Premium 2, Active Steering 2011 335i Cabrolet, Titanium Silver, Black, M Sport Package 2008 550i, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Sport Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio, 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio,

It defaults to normal every time you start the car. I have asked my dealer if there is any way to have it default to sport and they said no.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Members

Not so great. Do you find that you keep forgetting to use it? I am thinking of dropping it from my options list. Do you think it is still worth including? I am not so much looking for the 'sport' setting as opposed to the 'comfort' setting. I am only getting the 17" wheels anyway - do you this this would be 'comfortable' enough without VDC?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mkchappo
Not so great. Do you find that you keep forgetting to use it? I am thinking of dropping it from my options list. Do you think it is still worth including? I am not so much looking for the 'sport' setting as opposed to the 'comfort' setting. I am only getting the 17" wheels anyway - do you this this would be 'comfortable' enough without VDC?
What in the world are you expecting about a 520dA Sport?
VDC??? All I know it's called the Sport Auto.
Is it really so hard to push ONE botton before your "hard ride".

Here's my 520dA Sport auto. You can see the Sport Auto buttons, just click the pic.

Attached Thumbnails VDC question-eky-11-any.jpg   VDC question-eky-6-recycled.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

My car starts at the same setting that was selected at the previous time.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

I setup a profile which links to the key used to open the car; part of the profile is the suspension settings...so providing I use that key to unlock/start the car, it always starts in Sport ( plus adjusting mirrors, seats etc )
Old 11-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

It is not about straight line comfort only; the handling of the car is affected as well. The Variable Damping Control system allows you to adjust the damping of the shock absorbers thus affecting the performance in corners and manuveuring significantly. If you choose Sport or Sport+, the car will feel much tighter, not only from the drive train (engine and gearbox) response, but also from the chassis adjustment.

Since you are getting your car with 17" wheels I would certainly recommend that you get VDC to compensate for the low stiffness of the tires by selecting Sport or Sport+ to enable the car to handle better. If handling is not a priority for you, then do not get the VDC.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Petes550i
My car starts at the same setting that was selected at the previous time.
How do you get it in the same setting for sport mode? Cos of below?

Originally Posted by cerbera
I setup a profile which links to the key used to open the car; part of the profile is the suspension settings...so providing I use that key to unlock/start the car, it always starts in Sport ( plus adjusting mirrors, seats etc )
How did you set up the profile?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

If it resets to 'normal' everytime and you have to change it then I think I would forget most of the time thus rendering it usless!

Anyone know the answer? Comments.
To be clear - VDC, Variable Damper Control, will remain in the same setting as when you last switched off the car.

Things may be different for Sport Autom which affects gearbox only.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by artc
To be clear - VDC, Variable Damper Control, will remain in the same setting as when you last switched off the car.

Things may be different for Sport Autom which affects gearbox only.
I have an F11 520d with sports automatic and VDC. The Comfort setting will remain active if I leave the car and lock it. But the Sport setting will revert back to normal if I do the same thing.

Quick Reply: VDC question