F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Rudy
Thanks for the write up!

I agree that coming from an LCI 550i to an F10 550i will be pretty different from the perspective of agressive looks (especially considering the E60 LCI 550i sport wheels and aero package) and the engine/exhaust note.

Keep in mind, however, that the 2004 E60 didn't have those types of things at it's introduction either so it's very likely that the F10 will evolve, as did the E60, over time.

For me, I still love my E60 but am excited to move to the F10 and explore what it has to offer. I'll probably miss my E60 a bit more than I did my E39 but I doubt I'll be disappointed with the F10 once I get used to it. The other nice thing, at least for me, is that in three years, I'll probably be looking at a new F10 and by then, there may be an LCI version or, at the very least, a exterior sport kit like we have for the E60...
All good points, and I'd really like to drive an F10 550i to get a better impression of it. I did just spend 2 days at "BMW land", the Performance Center near Greenville, SC. Wednesday was an IBM sponsored seminar at the PC. We got to sample several BMWs on track (750i, 335d, M3, Z4, & X5M), did a rat race (wet skid pad DSC off in 135i's), and did the offroad course in X5's. We then were given hot lap rides in the M5. On Friday, I finally got my "BMW 101" mock delivery for my Z4, almost 1 year old. We got lots of track time in car like ours, and did ABS and DSC exercises. We got a plant tour and did the X5 off-road course. In the afternoon, we got hot lap rides in the M5s (which never cease to amaze me) and others received their cars. One person took delivery of an F10 535i. He got to drive a 550i in the morning. I wish I could have.....

All that being said, I believe I'm most likely to get an X5 this time around. It has the same 4.4TT V8 and 8 spd auto as the F10, the new nav, and many electronic goodies, yet it seems more exciting to drive and is different and certainly capable off road. Plus it gives back the utility I lost, trading the X3 for the Z4.

If anyone has the opportunity to do a Performance Center delivery, I'd highly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4462s.jpg   Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4537s.jpg   Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4648s.jpg   Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4671s.jpg   Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4672s.jpg  

Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4667s.jpg   Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...-nk4_4732s.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by Rudy
I agree that coming from an LCI 550i to an F10 550i will be pretty different from the perspective of agressive looks (especially considering the E60 LCI 550i sport wheels and aero package) and the engine/exhaust note.

Keep in mind, however, that the 2004 E60 didn't have those types of things at it's introduction either so it's very likely that the F10 will evolve, as did the E60, over time.

For me, I still love my E60 but am excited to move to the F10 and explore what it has to offer. I'll probably miss my E60 a bit more than I did my E39 but I doubt I'll be disappointed with the F10 once I get used to it. The other nice thing, at least for me, is that in three years, I'll probably be looking at a new F10 and by then, there may be an LCI version or, at the very least, a exterior sport kit like we have for the E60...
From what I hear, there should be an M Sport aero package released by September so that may help my views change into thinking it's a younger looking person's car. I'm also hoping that some M-type upgrades would also help it feel more like a 'brute' as my car feels compared to the F10. It almost makes me laugh because I would never consider my car a 'brute' but compared to the F10 it certainly feels like one!

And is the only reason they are using electric assist power steering so they can offer the parallel parking feature? I seriously find that feature overrated and if that is the reason we have to lose steering feel then I think it's complete bull. If you can't parallel park sufficiently, get a Ford or Lexus. Seriously.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acorradi87
And is the only reason they are using electric assist power steering so they can offer the parallel parking feature? I seriously find that feature overrated and if that is the reason we have to lose steering feel then I think it's complete bull. If you can't parallel park sufficiently, get a Ford or Lexus. Seriously.
They say its for fuel economy to reduce power steering loses.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

just go back from the ultimate driving even an hour ago...

the F10 is definitely a more luxurious car, the design of the interior is gorgeous. the metal trim around the wood pieces look very elegant. one thing that bugged me A LOT is the arm rest. the leather (or leathette, i can't tell the difference) feel absolutely horrible. it feels much worse than the plastic/rubber material on my E60 and just about worse than any car i've ever owned. i also have a lexus where the arm rest leather is buttery smooth and soft and i LOVE it. maybe i'm too anal, but that arm rest material bugged me the whole test drive.

driving the F10 550i, it felt very fast and very response. the engine rev'd happily and the shifts are smooth. it also handled extremely well and is very well planted in the turns.

as others noted, you feel very isolated from the car. there is no engine sound and no exhaust note. being the 'ultimate driving machine', i want to feel the car, feel the engine and hear the exhaust and enjoy the driving experience. it was a bit disappointing and rather boring. there does seem to be more road noise than my E60.. which may be caused by the lack of engine/exhaust noise. there was also a stange and annoying whinning noise that seems to be related to the ventilation system. the whinning noise got much worse when the AC was on.

cosmetically, i think it's an elegant-looking car. it does look a lot like the new 7'er. i noticed that the gap between the wheel and fender is HUGE (even on a car that had the sports package).

if I were in the market, i'd check out the competition (espcially the new M56) before signing my name on the dotted line....
Old 06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by xenonrider
just go back from the ultimate driving even an hour ago...

the F10 is definitely a more luxurious car, the design of the interior is gorgeous. the metal trim around the wood pieces look very elegant. one thing that bugged me A LOT is the arm rest. the leather (or leathette, i can't tell the difference) feel absolutely horrible. it feels much worse than the plastic/rubber material on my E60 and just about worse than any car i've ever owned. i also have a lexus where the arm rest leather is buttery smooth and soft and i LOVE it. maybe i'm too anal, but that arm rest material bugged me the whole test drive.

driving the F10 550i, it felt very fast and very response. the engine rev'd happily and the shifts are smooth. it also handled extremely well and is very well planted in the turns.

as others noted, you feel very isolated from the car. there is no engine sound and no exhaust note. being the 'ultimate driving machine', i want to feel the car, feel the engine and hear the exhaust and enjoy the driving experience. it was a bit disappointing and rather boring. there does seem to be more road noise than my E60.. which may be caused by the lack of engine/exhaust noise. there was also a stange and annoying whinning noise that seems to be related to the ventilation system. the whinning noise got much worse when the AC was on.

cosmetically, i think it's an elegant-looking car. it does look a lot like the new 7'er. i noticed that the gap between the wheel and fender is HUGE (even on a car that had the sports package).

if I were in the market, i'd check out the competition (espcially the new M56) before signing my name on the dotted line....
I agree that for aggressive/performance-oriented sedan drivers, the Infiniti M56, with 420 bhp, -- not the MB E550 or the Audi A6 -- is the real competition for the 550. Infiniti aggressively tunes its sport suspensions. My heart is always with BMW % Series but having owned an Infiniti M, I have a lot of respect for the car.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

saw one at my dealer today, got a chance to sit in it (didnt get a chance to drive it though).

the interior, like everyone says, looks pretty awesome. loved the gauges and the layout/design of everything. the center console does seem a bit too big, like youre sitting in a X5 or something. but on further investigation it seems they skimped on the materials a bit. like xenonrider says the leather or pleather just doesnt feel right (even on the steering wheel), the buttons felt flimsy, and there seems to be wayy too much hard plastic everywhere. the carpet feels like its made by ikea (yeah, i know, who cares about carpet, but i felt it and it just felt bad to me). even the wood didnt look as good as it does in the e60...it just looks plasticky (it was a darker wood than the pic in richardnc's post though). it seems like the designers designed it well, but then the beancounters took over and skimped on the substance.

to me the exterior just looks weird. the side profile makes it look like a huge 3 series. and that nose is just overwhelming. was staring at it from a distance and its just way too BIG and way too blunt...maybe if it was raked back a few degrees it would be better? from a rear 3/4 view it does look like an infiniti, as has been mentioned before.

i dunno, maybe it will grow on me, but if i were in the market right now id take a long hard look at merc and audi. and since everyone is saying the driving feel has been numbed down, maybe look at the japanese cars too.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

I'm scheduled for the Ultimate Drive in Charlotte for July 12th. Have to wait a month. but that is closer to my trade in time.

Unbelievably I got the card in the mail today yet almost every slot I could possibly attend (after work) is full. Given the date, there is NO way I can take time off for this but at least I'm in for the 550i. I do want to drive it back to back with the X5 if possible, although that's not on the list (just the MB E350 and Lexus GS 350). Maybe they're afraid to match it against the Infiniti M?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
I'm scheduled for the Ultimate Drive in Charlotte for July 12th. Have to wait a month. but that is closer to my trade in time.

Unbelievably I got the card in the mail today yet almost every slot I could possibly attend (after work) is full. Given the date, there is NO way I can take time off for this but at least I'm in for the 550i. I do want to drive it back to back with the X5 if possible, although that's not on the list (just the MB E350 and Lexus GS 350). Maybe they're afraid to match it against the Infiniti M?
Honestly, not having an Infiniti M56 in the comparo group is ridiculous. The 420 bhp M56 will devour the E350 or GS 350 (and the E550 and GS460 as well) in the twisties and in a straight line. It is the closest analog to the F10 550i Sport.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Honestly, not having an Infiniti M56 in the comparo group is ridiculous. The 420 bhp M56 will devour the E350 or GS 350 (and the E550 and GS460 as well) in the twisties and in a straight line. It is the closest analog to the F10 550i Sport.
So true. My father is a big Infiniti person (my mom has an 07 M35 Sport and my brother has an 08 G37 S coupe) and while I think the quality of materials and overall feeling of the car has been below BMWs, this new M is getting quite close. I've driven the new M37 S and can honestly say I found it to be more a driver's car than the F10 in my original post from yesterday. I can't wait to drive the M56 S... what a beast. Saw one in San Francisco today and it looked pretty damn good. Much more sporty than the 5.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I have yet to drive the F10, but I am scheduled for the UDE the end of this month. I wonder if they will have any 6MTs in the mix. Probably not.

I did study it along with the 5GT and F01 at this year's Denver Auto Show. My only disappointment with the exterior is the blunt nose.

Now to your review. It is well written, so at least some in your generation can still compose a paragraph with correct spelling and grammar. And not a single LOL! But, IMO the 5-series is not intended for 23 year olds. I believe it is known as an "executive saloon" in the literature, and you've got to be in your 40's to be an executive. 23 year olds are better suited to the 3-series.

And another thing. I'm sorry, but a 23 year old cannot say "as a lifelong die-hard BMW fan." You've been driving cars for 7 years. That's one generation of the 5-series. Even if your interest in BMWs began well before you were driving them, you're still not old enough to add "lifelong" to any sentence. LOL.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Driving Event 550i Impressions...