F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

TrueCar.com .. perhaps useful for new F10 buyers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been seeing ads for the site www.truecar.com for a few months now and have been naturally skeptical. The commercials have the people seeing what others are paying for a new car, invoice prices, and dealer incentives .. and then printing out a "TrueCar price" and going to participating dealers for no hassle prices. I'm not sure exactly where they get their data or what dealerships participate but I was finally intrigued enough to go check the site out. I started configuring F10 550xi's and all the options to see the MSRP, Invoice Price, and Dealer Purchase price. It has stats on the number of people in my area buying this car and the best, average, and high end purchase prices for the car (with those options too I believe). The data looked legit to me.

I think this is could be a real good reality check for people with pricing. I'm not affiliated in anyway with the site and have no idea how accurate it is and was skeptical when I went into it, but I've come out thinking it's probably worthwhile to consult if you're in the US and buying a new car. A few things that made me start to trust the data were the actual info it shared and the numbers it showed:

What is the Actual Dealer Cost?

Did you know that the factory invoice price and what the dealer actually paid are not the same? Yep, it's true. The invoice price for the 2012 BMW 5 Series is on average 2.494% greater than the actual dealer cost, so caveat emptor. The dealer's actual price includes at least $1,074 in dealer holdback, or funds that are provided to the dealer by BMW after the sale of the vehicle. The actual car dealer cost for a 2012 BMW 5 Series 9.238% below the original manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).

How is the Average Price Paid Trending?

For the base model, the average price for a new 2012 BMW 5 Series is trending $2,717 below the manufacturer's sticker price. For the six available 2012 BMW 5 Series trim lines, the average savings is 5.511% below the sticker price.

--

The above data is for an F10 550xi with spots package and all kinds of add-ons. It went down from having data on hundreds of purchases in my area to having data on just six once I added a bunch of options. Paint me impressed for now. Anyway just wanted to share in the even it's of help.