F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Took a quick drive in an F10 550 sport w/SAT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Hi Rudy

It's been a long time. I am about to end my self imposed exile (MB E500) and pull the plug on a new F10. I have missed my E60 since the lease was up. The MB was supposed to tide me over until the F10 came out, took longer than I thought and can't wait to be done with the MB. I see you have taken a look at the technology package, do you feel that all those cameras are a worthwhile addition to the F10, I need to decide on this package today so any insight you may have would be appreciated. Also did you happen to see the new Havanna colour, I have a choice between Havanna/Oyster and Imperial Blue/Black, am trying to find out what the trim colours are on the Havanna/Oyster and if it looks good. Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Rudy, would you liken the 550i, properly equipped, closer to a 7 Series "sport" than a 5 Series "luxocruiser"?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just wanted to add that I drove it again tonight a bit more...it hadn't stopped calling my name since my last drive so I just HAD to go back!

Originally Posted by gabman
Hi Rudy

It's been a long time. I am about to end my self imposed exile (MB E500) and pull the plug on a new F10. I have missed my E60 since the lease was up. The MB was supposed to tide me over until the F10 came out, took longer than I thought and can't wait to be done with the MB. I see you have taken a look at the technology package, do you feel that all those cameras are a worthwhile addition to the F10, I need to decide on this package today so any insight you may have would be appreciated. Also did you happen to see the new Havanna colour, I have a choice between Havanna/Oyster and Imperial Blue/Black, am trying to find out what the trim colours are on the Havanna/Oyster and if it looks good. Thanks
Glad to see you're on the road to coming back from your exile gabman! I'm sort of a gadget guy so for me, the more cameras and technology, the better. I like the "top view" so much I might end up having to wait until a September production date just to get it. That said, I haven't had enough time using it to really say whether or not it's worth it. The rear (back up) camera is, in my opinion, a great feature. Not only does it give you a great view of the rear but it also has some digital overlays that show you sort of a grid-like area to indicate where the car is headed as well as what obstacles are there (and how close they are using a color coded mask, etc.) The front view cameras seem like they may be useful as well but again, I can't say for sure yet since I don't have enough "stick time" to gather an opinion.

As far as colors, my dealer has two F10's. One is a 535i and one is a 550i. The 550i is black with black interior and I never bothered to look closely at the 535's colors. I think it was some sort of silver shade...

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Rudy, would you liken the 550i, properly equipped, closer to a 7 Series "sport" than a 5 Series "luxocruiser"?
I'm not sure I understand the exact definitions of the two cars you're describing. Clearly, the F10's interior and available equipment can make it look and feel more like a 7 series than a comparable E60. (Keep in mind that my current E60 has all available options but still doesn't feel or remind me of a 7.)

I'd say that in some ways, the driving experience is more like that of a 7 but then again, it still felt extremely nimble in the corners. The 550i I drove had the sport package and the handling package and I'm not 100% sure but even though it felt great through corners, I thought it may have a bit more body roll than my 2008 E60.

Again, I'm not sure...it's just a feeling I got from another relatively short test drive. I will say that the power from the new motor (which I remembered to look at this time) was really strong and smooth and the 8-speed SAT was fantastic!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Rudy
Just wanted to add that I drove it again tonight a bit more...it hadn't stopped calling my name since my last drive so I just HAD to go back!

Glad to see you're on the road to coming back from your exile gabman! I'm sort of a gadget guy so for me, the more cameras and technology, the better. I like the "top view" so much I might end up having to wait until a September production date just to get it. That said, I haven't had enough time using it to really say whether or not it's worth it. The rear (back up) camera is, in my opinion, a great feature. Not only does it give you a great view of the rear but it also has some digital overlays that show you sort of a grid-like area to indicate where the car is headed as well as what obstacles are there (and how close they are using a color coded mask, etc.) The front view cameras seem like they may be useful as well but again, I can't say for sure yet since I don't have enough "stick time" to gather an opinion.

As far as colors, my dealer has two F10's. One is a 535i and one is a 550i. The 550i is black with black interior and I never bothered to look closely at the 535's colors. I think it was some sort of silver shade...

I'm not sure I understand the exact definitions of the two cars you're describing. Clearly, the F10's interior and available equipment can make it look and feel more like a 7 series than a comparable E60. (Keep in mind that my current E60 has all available options but still doesn't feel or remind me of a 7.)

I'd say that in some ways, the driving experience is more like that of a 7 but then again, it still felt extremely nimble in the corners. The 550i I drove had the sport package and the handling package and I'm not 100% sure but even though it felt great through corners, I thought it may have a bit more body roll than my 2008 E60.

Again, I'm not sure...it's just a feeling I got from another relatively short test drive. I will say that the power from the new motor (which I remembered to look at this time) was really strong and smooth and the 8-speed SAT was fantastic!

Thanks for the reply Rudy, I see at some point in the last couple of years you graduated to MOD status, congrats.

I pulled the plug last night on an Imperial Blue/Black with exec and tech packages, here in Canada they force you into all sorts of packages, when I have time I will let you know what is in both packages. Funny thing is all I really wanted was home link garage openers and to get this feature I had to take a 5k exec package with Nav, comforts seats and a host of other features, and of course to get the tech package one must get the exec package, I will still take dealing with BMW over MB. Car is on the way due to arrive in two weeks, will post more later when I am not so busy. Great speaking with you again and thanks for the info. Gabman
Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The upgrade is much bigger from a E60 to a F10,
than the upgrade was from a E39 to E60.
I have to disagree very much. The fact that the F10 felt "too close" to the E60 made me jump train at least until the F11 LCI M-Sport comes out. Many of the magazines I've read comes to the same conclusion, F10 is a fabtastic evolution of the E60. And I think most people will agree with me if I say the E60 was a revolution compared to E39.

Maybe I'm wrong, I only have had a F10 530d for one hour.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi gabman

"I will still take dealing with BMW over MB" - Yes, the new M-B E is not nearly as nice as the F10.

"Car is on the way due to arrive in two weeks," - Waiting for pics.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Hi gabman

"I will still take dealing with BMW over MB" - Yes, the new M-B E is not nearly as nice as the F10.

"Car is on the way due to arrive in two weeks," - Waiting for pics.
Hey Ric

My current vehicle is a 2006 E500 4matic which I bought from a relative when my lease was up on my 2004 545 some 27 months ago. I got into it for an excelent price it was only 17 months old when I took it. My plan was to drive this until the F10 arrived and then get the F10, so my plan worked.
I really did not have any problems with the Benz aside from the fact that is was soooooo boring to drive. It got to a point where I was trying to sell it and go into another E60 after only 6 months. The only thing more boring than that car was the MB forums that I eventually gave up reading lol. A real bunch of deadheads over there. The only issue I have right now is the waiting, I did not pre-order this car so I am waiting to hear from my dealer to see if they can switch one of their cars with the one I want which another dealer has ordered, so here I am sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. Stay tuned...........
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Can't wait to drive one myself.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Is it going to be white again?

Originally Posted by Rudy
I happened to pop in to my dealer the other day and saw that they had a 550i sport package sitting on the lot so I took it for a short spin. I behaved myself and didn't get too crazy but I have to say that the car was really sweet!

I used sport mode (not sport+) and drove it on a back road with some twisties and it felt solid, handled well, yet the ride was less harsh than my E60. Keep in mind that I don't consider my E60 harsh riding but somehow they managed to dial in the same level of performance without the same level of harshness over bumps, etc.

I spent a couple minutes playing around with the top view camera (as I backed it into a parking space) and also saw the front-view (side looking) camera as well as the rear-view camera in action as well.

As many have already said, the interior is very much like the 5GT and much more high end than my current LCI E60 (and even more high end than my old 2004.)

I think it's time for me to place an order!

Quick Reply: Took a quick drive in an F10 550 sport w/SAT