F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Tire Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well, I hit a small pothole today which I couldn't avoid and thought it was nothing. However, 30 minutes later, I get a low tire warning on the dash. I checked my front tire and notice a bulge and small gash on the sidewall and hear air coming out! . I called my BMW service and they told me the tire alone would cost $450! and will take 4 days to arrive due to the limited availability of these runflats. Fortunately, I purchased tire and wheel insurance when I leased my car so it'll cost me nothing ....however, I need to take a day off from work to get it fixed so that sucks. The service guy told me that the Goodyear Excellence runflats (which I have) had issues lately with weak sidewalls and other problems. Great.

I wonder if I replace the damaged front tire with one from a different brand....will that cause a problem?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry to hear about your accident and problem, Pete!

Firstly, sue the street administration!

Secondly, how is it possible that BMW in a big city don't have a spare tire available at once?

A new BMW should have 100% same brand and featured tires on one axel, front and rear!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Sorry to hear about your accident and problem, Pete!

Firstly, sue the street administration!

Secondly, how is it possible that BMW in a big city don't have a spare tire available at once?

A new BMW should have 100% same brand and featured tires on one axel, front and rear!

I hear you. My service guy told me these tires are "special" and had to be imported from France which is why it takes so long to get them. I hate these runflats. The cons outweigh the pros by a large margin in my opinion. I'm sure the F10 would perform better in acceleration, grip and handling in regular tires, not to mention ride smoother. The absence of a spare tire in the trunk forces you to be very careful when you drive. Everytime, I hit a pothole or a large bump in the road, I cringe. Whoever came up with this idea is a complete idiot.

If I had purchased my F10 instead of leasing it, I would have gotten rid of all 4 runflats!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Contributors

They're even back-ordered at Tirerack.

BTW, for the OP, you should know that Goodyear includes, at no additional cost, one year of road hazard coverage.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GYEAR2.pdf

So, in effect, the wheel and tire warranty may be picking up the replacement cost from Goodyear.
Since these are relatively new tires I suspect the limited supply is due to a higher than average failure rate
Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
They're even back-ordered at Tirerack.

BTW, for the OP, you should know that Goodyear includes, at no additional cost, one year of road hazard coverage.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GYEAR2.pdf

So, in effect, the wheel and tire warranty may be picking up the replacement cost from Goodyear.
Since these are relatively new tires I suspect the limited supply is due to a higher than average failure rate

I think the Goodyear coverage is only when you purchase individual tires and not when it's already on the car when you buy/lease. I'm glad I got the tire and wheel insurance when I leased....I knew driving around Chicago's shitty streets would present problems and I was right. It's a good thing I also have winter tires to change out for half the year. I feel sorry for those who have to put with these run-flats all year.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

UPDATE:

Those bastards at BMW told me my run-flat tire is now backordered for 3-4 weeks!

Thank god I have a set of winter tires so that I can still drive my car.

I advise anyone here with run-flat performance tires to buy a spare tire and keep it just in case something like this happens to you!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Petes550i
My service guy told me these tires are "special" and had to be imported from France which is why it takes so long to get them. I hate these runflats.
The "best lie" I have heard in a while, "special tires" and import from France
What a asswholewitchcon... And now 3-4 four weeks - I'm speechless

I quit RF's at 2008 and will not go back. BMW is the only brand that goes for them, for some reason?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Petes550i
UPDATE:
Those bastards at BMW told me my run-flat tire is now backordered for 3-4 weeks!
Thank god I have a set of winter tires so that I can still drive my car.
I advise anyone here with run-flat performance tires to buy a spare tire and keep it just in case something like this happens to you!
A supplier problem isn't your dealer's fault and rather than take it out on them try to see if TOGETHER, YOU and the DEALER GM, can come up with a creative solution that doesn't punish a customer who ponies up $70,000 - $80,000 to buy one of their products.

I think one solution is to ask your dealer to replace all four tires with new RFTs of the "other" brand than is fitted to 550's like yours. I think that's the

SP Sport Maxx GT DSST
And that way they'll avoid the wrath of a dissatisfied customer ... we all know how fast BAD NEWS TRAVELS!

BTW, this sort of remedy is best worked with management ... it's beyond the authority of a service advisor.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
A supplier problem isn't your dealer's fault and rather than take it out on them try to see if TOGETHER, YOU and the DEALER GM, can come up with a creative solution that doesn't punish a customer who ponies up $70,000 - $80,000 to buy one of their products.
I think one solution is to ask your dealer to replace all four tires with new RFTs of the "other" brand than is fitted to 550's like yours.
Yes, the car must get new tires AT ONCE!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Imperial Blue, Grey, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling, Premium 2, Active Steering 2011 335i Cabrolet, Titanium Silver, Black, M Sport Package 2008 550i, Carbon Black, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Sport Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio, 2005 545i, Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, Sport Package, Automatic, Navigation, Satellite Radio,

I have had to replace 4 tires on my 2011 550i Sport, while waiting a week each time for the replacement tires. I have not had this problem with any of my prior 5 series BMW's.

It is absurd that the 2011 does not have spare tire, thus allowing the use of non runflats. My 2008 550i Sport did not come w/ RFT's. My 2005 Sport came with RFT's which I relaced with non RFT's as soon as they wore out.

Quick Reply: Tire Problem....