F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Switching Away From 19" Wheels

Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 535i X drive with Sport Package is 13 months old. I now have a new bubble in a tire that was replaced by BMW in July for the same issue. This, along with the other front tire bubbling in October will be my third tire replacement. It is now to the point that I do not want to drive the car on long trips as I don't trust the tires.

I am thinking of switching to 18" wheels which are standard on the non sport 535i X drive models. I think they are 245/45/18. so a few questions:

1: Have any of you done this?
2: Is it OK with all the suspension electronics to make this switch?
3: Is the problem with bubbling of the 18" wheel/tires significantly less?
4: any other suggestions?

I really want too stay with Run Flat and all weather. I am aware of the discussions of the disadvantages of Run Flat, but would rather stay with them than use the alternatives of gunk in a tire in the event of a flat or having to take up too much space with a spare.

Thanks for you input.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Members

Do you want to sell your Sport Wheels?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 AM
New Members

I take delivery at BMW Welt in March of my 550i XDrive.

Ultimately, though it was a hard decision, I did not get the sport package partially due to the wheel/tire discussions. Everything I have seen so far points to the 19 and 20 inch wheels being too heavy and too low profile for the weight of the car. That being said they look great! I did not feel paying for the sport package then buying new tires and/or wheels was a sound investment. I know many will disagree with me!

Anecdotal evidence is that the 18 inch fair better.

Have you seen the Autoweek video reviews? They changed seven tires and three wheels in less than a year.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MaixmAG
Do you want to sell your Sport Wheels?
I have not yet made a decision to switch. However, I will want to get something out of the wheels I have now. I will keep you posted when I actually make the switch.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 2012_550i_XDrive
I take delivery at BMW Welt in March of my 550i XDrive.

Ultimately, though it was a hard decision, I did not get the sport package partially due to the wheel/tire discussions. Everything I have seen so far points to the 19 and 20 inch wheels being too heavy and too low profile for the weight of the car. That being said they look great! I did not feel paying for the sport package then buying new tires and/or wheels was a sound investment. I know many will disagree with me!

Anecdotal evidence is that the 18 inch fair better.

Have you seen the Autoweek video reviews? They changed seven tires and three wheels in less than a year.
Yes, I have seen the article. The 19" LS2 tires sure have a bad rep. From my experience it is well deserved. The 535i X drive is a super wonderful car, unfortunately marred by the tire situation. It is really about time both BMW and Goodyear step up to the plate and bring a fix to the table. My understanding is that a few years ago a similar situation occurred with Bridgestone. After a while a recall was issued and the tires were swapped out for better ones. Again, unfortunately, BMW continues to deliver 5 series sport packages and 6 series cars with the 19" LS2 combination. Not a good reflection on BMW.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

so your 19" tires are runflat, and are bubbling? what is the cause? hitting potholes?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Eyesight
My 2011 535i X drive with Sport Package is 13 months old. I now have a new bubble in a tire that was replaced by BMW in July for the same issue. This, along with the other front tire bubbling in October will be my third tire replacement. It is now to the point that I do not want to drive the car on long trips as I don't trust the tires.

I am thinking of switching to 18" wheels which are standard on the non sport 535i X drive models. I think they are 245/45/18. so a few questions:

1: Have any of you done this?
2: Is it OK with all the suspension electronics to make this switch?
3: Is the problem with bubbling of the 18" wheel/tires significantly less?
4: any other suggestions?

I really want too stay with Run Flat and all weather. I am aware of the discussions of the disadvantages of Run Flat, but would rather stay with them than use the alternatives of gunk in a tire in the event of a flat or having to take up too much space with a spare.

Thanks for you input.
The catastrophic bubbling problem with the dreaded 19 inch Goodyear LS2 all season RFTs that are original equipment on the 535i x Drive M Sport and the 550i xDrive M Sport are well-documented. Indeed, there is a 60 page sticky thread with over 1000 posts on Bimmerfest. And if you look to NHTSA's website there are dozens of complaints about these tires. I have a law partner of mine who lives in Manhattan who has had a bubble and tire replacement once every 2 to 4 weeks.

When I ordered my 550i xDrive M Sport I was all aware of the problem. So I did what the most satisfied 535xi and 550xi M Sport owners have done: replaced the RFTs with conventional tires. I got the best AS tires out there IMHO: the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires. And, after getting the word from my BMW dealer that I could and after confirming their effectiveness with several Bimmerfest members who did it, I ordered my replacement tires one sidewall size taller than stock: 245/45/19s (stock is 245/40/19). I then ordered a compact spare tire from Bimmerfest.com and bought a jack kit and a tension strap (to strap the compact spare in my trunk.

Run flat tires suck. They are brittle and they hurt the ride quality (they are much rougher in ride). Conventional tires just ride a lot better. I was not ditching the 19 inch wheels so I got conventional tires and upsized the sidewall.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871
The catastrophic bubbling problem with the dreaded 19 inch Goodyear LS2 all season RFTs that are original equipment on the 535i x Drive M Sport and the 550i xDrive M Sport are well-documented. Indeed, there is a 60 page sticky thread with over 1000 posts on Bimmerfest. And if you look to NHTSA's website there are dozens of complaints about these tires. I have a law partner of mine who lives in Manhattan who has had a bubble and tire replacement once every 2 to 4 weeks.

When I ordered my 550i xDrive M Sport I was all aware of the problem. So I did what the most satisfied 535xi and 550xi M Sport owners have done: replaced the RFTs with conventional tires. I got the best AS tires out there IMHO: the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires. And, after getting the word from my BMW dealer that I could and after confirming their effectiveness with several Bimmerfest members who did it, I ordered my replacement tires one sidewall size taller than stock: 245/45/19s (stock is 245/40/19). I then ordered a compact spare tire from Bimmerfest.com and bought a jack kit and a tension strap (to strap the compact spare in my trunk.

Run flat tires suck. They are brittle and they hurt the ride quality (they are much rougher in ride). Conventional tires just ride a lot better. I was not ditching the 19 inch wheels so I got conventional tires and upsized the sidewall.
BMW said going to 245/45 was OK?? This would change the rolling circumference. Did this change the speedo readings or anything else?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have 18" winters and 20" summers, both NOT RF'S. No problems.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Eyesight
BMW said going to 245/45 was OK?? This would change the rolling circumference. Did this change the speedo readings or anything else?
Yes several BMW dealers said it would work. The diameter is about an inch larger than stock. As you may know (or not), the F10's speedo reads fast. So the bigger wheel/tire combo should cure it.

I run an upsized sidewall in my E60 550i M Sport's winter set. And I love it -- no bubbles and better pothole protection.

Also several members on Bimmerfest who also ditched the RFT run that size (245/45/19). None report problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching Away From 19" Wheels