F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Subwoofers connected to front or rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Guys,

On the F10, are the underseat subwoofers connected to the front or the rear speakers. i.e. if you move your fader to the rear do the subwoofers still work? What about if you move it all the way, so that only the front work. Is there any setting when the subwoofers are not heard at all?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Why would anybody wire subwoofers to work in conjunction with speakers?

I'd think they would have their own separate channel that would only be affected by bass settings (which would also affect the fronts/rears)unless the F10 now has adustable output and band-pass filter settings specifically for it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by pukka
Why would anybody wire subwoofers to work in conjunction with speakers?

I'd think they would have their own separate channel that would only be affected by bass settings (which would also affect the fronts/rears)unless the F10 now has adustable output and band-pass filter settings specifically for it.
BMW does that, that's the whole purpose of the question to begin with.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

On the Std EU systems (atleast on the E60) the subwoofers are connected in parallel with the front speakers. But I read somewhere someone saying that even when they move the fader to the rear the subwoofers are still playing. So either the fader is still low passing to the subwoofers on complete rear on something really funny is happening here.

I have the EU HI-Fi (US Std) and that has a separate channel for the sub-woofers and I can hear the subs playing even when the fader is moved completely to the rear or front i.e. it plays all the time.

Which is why I want to know what happens on the F10 both Std and Hi-Fi.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Guys,

On the F10, are the underseat subwoofers connected to the front or the rear speakers. i.e. if you move your fader to the rear do the subwoofers still work? What about if you move it all the way, so that only the front work. Is there any setting when the subwoofers are not heard at all?
The subwoofers are active regardless of fader setting.
I have not found any setting that allows me to separately disable or adjust the subwoofers. Ofcourse, you can use the control for the bass and eq...

I have the HiFi Professional
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Contributors

ok so that is the same as the hi-fi on the E60. I understand this also happens on the std EU sound system. I really wonder how BMW does this especially when the subwoofers are connected in parallel to the front speakers.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

ok so that is the same as the hi-fi on the E60. I understand this also happens on the std EU sound system. I really wonder how BMW does this especially when the subwoofers are connected in parallel to the front speakers.
Are you absolutely sure about the parallel coupling?
I'm no expert but unless the subwoofers have their own amp, shouldn't it be impossible to fade to the rear speakers without loosing the subwoofers? As said earlier, if the fader is active before the lowpass filter it might be possible...but that's just a guess.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

yes sure of that. See picture of Eu Std sound set up. I think its the same on the F10 as well.
Subwoofers connected to front or rear speakers-eu-std.gif

The difference is that on the E60 with Hi-Fi only the Subs are driven with the amp. But on the F10 all speakers are driven from the Hi-Fi (including a centre speaker).
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

yes sure of that. See picture of Eu Std sound set up. I think its the same on the F10 as well.
Attachment 115983

The difference is that on the E60 with Hi-Fi only the Subs are driven with the amp. But on the F10 all speakers are driven from the Hi-Fi (including a centre speaker).
Hmm...
The plot thickens.
The front MID speakers and SUBs are connected. But what about the tweeters?
Could it be that the fader only controls the tweeters?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Contributors

there are no tweeters in the EU Std set-up.

Quick Reply: Subwoofers connected to front or rear speakers