F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Software update - Engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Software update - Engine and transmission

During a coding session I also had an update on my engine and transmission software to the latest version.

My car is a september 2010 built F10 with the (Euro only) N53 engine. However if you have a early F10 and haven't had the latest software installed I would reccommend you try it

My experience with the updated software is:

-On the first very short drive I noticed that the transmission seemed to shift smoother and faster. The engine felt a bit more agile and responsive.

-On the second, longer, drive I could DEFINITELY feel the engine had changed drastically in it's low to mid range behaviour. It picked up RPM's much quicker and felt a LOT stronger

-Then I noticed that, HEY it sounds different as well... Exhaust had become growlier/more muscular (I also have a Remus sports exhaust that probably enhanced this change in sound). And more induction noise. Not obtrusive, but really nice.

-The engine rev matches much more aggressively on downshifts than before. It's now fun to downshift just for the fun of hearing the engine rev match (my car has the Sports Automatic Transmission and rev matching is happening when in Sports mode and manually downshifting). On the Sports Display (that was one of the options I had coded) the Power meter indicates that during rev matching the engine makes 40hp. For instance if you are coasting in 3rd, the Power and Torque displays are at 0 (obviously), when downshifting to 2nd, the Power and Torque meters make a quick movement and Power peaks at around 40hp for an instant and drops off to 0 instantly as engine braking is applied.

-In Sports + mode the transmission doesn't have kick down function anymore and it doesn't shift up at the redline (similar as later model BMW's). In Sports + you are now completely in control of which gear you want to be in. It doesn't shift down during full throttle acceleration and it doesn't change up at redline. Ideal for driving on mountain roads when you don't want to have a upshift approaching a corner and just reaching the redline before entering the corner etc.

-Steering also feels more connected and has better feedback

At first I thought I might possibly be imagining the change in engine sound and response and it's increased power and acceleration. But after som searching I found some German forums where exactly the same "issues" where reported. It seems BMW has richened the mixture on the N53 engine with the new software so it doesn't run as lean anymore. Because the Germans reported an increase in fuel consumption as well... But I'm more than happy to sacrifice some gas mileage to get the sound and power the car now has

Obviously the US F10's doesn't have the N53 engine, but the transmission updates is great in itself. And it might seem like BMW has done similar software changes for other engine models as well, possibly for the N52 and N55 as well?

This software update totally changed how my car sounds, shifts gear and it has a MAJOR boost in acceleration in the mid range It feels like a different car (or at least it's steering, engine and transmission) and is so much more fun to drive