F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Soft Close doors, Lane Change warning, is it any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until end of April I can still do some adjustments to my order, and now I'm wondering following optional accessories:

- SoftClose doors
- Lane Change warning

I drive a lot in highways and lane change occurs quite often.

Any real live experience of those accessories, are they usefull or total useless and not worth of spending money ?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by TurboT
Until end of April I can still do some adjustments to my order, and now I'm wondering following optional accessories:

- SoftClose doors
- Lane Change warning

Any real live experience of those accessories, are they usefull or total useless and not worth of spending money ?
I despised my Infiniti M45's lane departure warning system so much that I permanently shut it off. It was constantly giving false alarms and was extremely distracting. Maybe BMW got it better but I have no desire to order that option.

SoftClose door are a nice lux option.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Originally Posted by TurboT

- SoftClose doors
- Lane Change warning

Soft close doors are good especially you can ask the passengers to "click" close the door and don't slam it. It's also very useful when you have an infant sleeping in car and you try to get in/out of the car ...
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Members

I wouldn't bother with either option. Lane departure sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth (similar to the "active cruise control"). As for the soft close doors....I just don't see it as much of a convenience, plus I'd always have to remind passesngers "you don't have to slam the door".
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

You all have given very good and valuable comments. And based on the comments it seems that both softclose and lane change warning options are not worth spending any money.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Contributors

I would give a big nod to softclose doors, i find them invaluable in tight locations... if you have small and narrow roads or side roads you frequent and parking is an issue, id definitely recommend them, the benefit is you dont have to have the door completely open to close properly, just a simple pull in towards latch and you are locked..and as other have said, it gets you out of the habit of having to slam the door shut and the rattles that this simple process can ultimately contribute to over years of ownership
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by m630
I would give a big nod to softclose doors, i find them invaluable in tight locations... if you have small and narrow roads or side roads you frequent and parking is an issue, id definitely recommend them, the benefit is you dont have to have the door completely open to close properly, just a simple pull in towards latch and you are locked..and as other have said, it gets you out of the habit of having to slam the door shut and the rattles that this simple process can ultimately contribute to over years of ownership
Thanks, very good point indeed. In practise I don't have tight locations/parking places, no small or narror roads, so even that point makes for me no sense to spend any money for Soft Close.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

I also thought about these two options (among others...) but decided against just on the reasons stated above; almsot no tight parking locations. And Lane Departing warning... well. A nice add-on, but not something I like to fork out money for.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Soft door close is awesome! I'd definitely get it! The negative side is of course reminding your passengers not to slam the door, but that's it! It's convenient and that's how all luxury sedans are going - Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, Lexus LS, Mercedes Benz S-Class.

Like I had to pay for my HUD but now it's standard. I can see soft door close becoming a standard option probably from cars in 2016.

Anyway, instead of paying your money for lane change, if there exists an option, get automatic tail. That's another awesome option.

My parents drive a 2G E65 7 Series Luminance and the latest X5 and it has all the above options (as standard in 7) and they are just great!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

What is automatic tail?

Quick Reply: Soft Close doors, Lane Change warning, is it any good ?