F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Rough shocks or suspension while driving over bump

Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough shocks or suspension while driving over bump

I’ve just bought a like new 2012 528I with 7K mileage but this car does not ride smoothly. When I go over a bump even small like those reflectors on the middle of the road, the entire car shakes and I feel like I am riding a truck, car has been several time inspected by dealer but they are saying they can’t find any issues. When my co-workers ride with me on lunch, they will tell me how uncomfortable it is when you go over just a small speeding bump or small pots on the rood, it does not mater slow fast, I have had several 528I model previously but they all ride smoothly. I tried turning the radio on all the way up but it is hard to not noticed the car shaking over the small pots specially in the area I leave.
Car rides very well on straight HWY with no pot holes and car has been balanced and aligned by BMW
I don’t mind if I take the car to some other professional places for inspection to really prove to BMW dealer it is an issue with this car but I am not sure what that could be? Suspension, shocks,
Any expert or personal experienced?

The tires are looks brand new
Old 08-01-2013, 04:45 PM
New Members

Default Harsh Ride

Is your 5 Series equipped with run-flat tires? If so that is the source of your harsh ride. The side walls are very stiff & this type of tire has a low profile, so you can drive on the tire when you get a puncture. My Corvette has a harsh ride & I am equipped with run-flat tires. I have lower the air pressure 2 to 4 PSI & this helps a bit.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jjmenei
Is your 5 Series equipped with run-flat tires? If so that is the source of your harsh ride. The side walls are very stiff & this type of tire has a low profile, so you can drive on the tire when you get a puncture. My Corvette has a harsh ride & I am equipped with run-flat tires. I have lower the air pressure 2 to 4 PSI & this helps a bit.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a RFT, I will try to lower the air pressure and see if I get any better result.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jjmenei
I tried your suggestion, but could not see any different. We have another 5 series identical, except, that one is 2013 model with RFT tires with no issues. I am trying to find some places beside BMW and pay for the professional inspection and take the result to BMW. I believe this car has some issues as I have drove many loaner cars from BMW in the past few months with RFT with no issues
Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 BMW 528I N20 M SPORT 245BHP 350NM
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by neopoint
I tried your suggestion, but could not see any different. We have another 5 series identical, except, that one is 2013 model with RFT tires with no issues. I am trying to find some places beside BMW and pay for the professional inspection and take the result to BMW. I believe this car has some issues as I have drove many loaner cars from BMW in the past few months with RFT with no issues
Hello? Did you ever have the issue sorted out? I also have the same car 2012 f10 and seems to ride jus as badly. I doubt its the RFT's because i swapped with my pals car and the ride was just as uncomfy. It feels the the car is gonna fall apart; and yeah, the radio volume this doesn't work. My pals notice that alot.
Please share if you got any solution
Old 07-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

RFT's will not cause that significant difference in ride quality to where passengers would complain.

If it's only on bumps/rough roads, it's either struts/shocks, springs, or a loose/failed bushing, ball joint, bolt, etc. Probably in the front suspension.

I would definitely take it to another shop for a second opinion (or really a first opinion, since BMW can't find anything )

EDIT: another thought - failed motor or trans mounts can also cause some harshness on bumps.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535i, M-Sport
Model Year: 2015

I drove a 2012 535i for 3 years and never had any problems with bumps/rough roads. I sold it at 105,000 miles so it was well used so front suspension/ etc. might not be an issue. Wheels not bent? Road force balance? 7,000 miles is too little for things to be wearing out and I would have assumed the previous owner would have had it resolved during warranty.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535i 2013

Originally Posted by neopoint
I’ve just bought a like new 2012 528I with 7K mileage but this car does not ride smoothly. When I go over a bump even small like those reflectors on the middle of the road, the entire car shakes and I feel like I am riding a truck, car has been several time inspected by dealer but they are saying they can’t find any issues. When my co-workers ride with me on lunch, they will tell me how uncomfortable it is when you go over just a small speeding bump or small pots on the rood, it does not mater slow fast, I have had several 528I model previously but they all ride smoothly. I tried turning the radio on all the way up but it is hard to not noticed the car shaking over the small pots specially in the area I leave.
Car rides very well on straight HWY with no pot holes and car has been balanced and aligned by BMW
I don’t mind if I take the car to some other professional places for inspection to really prove to BMW dealer it is an issue with this car but I am not sure what that could be? Suspension, shocks,
Any expert or personal experienced?

The tires are looks brand new

I have exactly the same problem, does anyone know what the solution could be?

I have a 2013 BMW 535i.

Thanks