F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Rear seat sde airbags in the F10?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was comparing my 08 550 spec to the new car and noticed that there is no longer an option for rear seat side airbags. They're not standard equipment either. I know that these type of airbags are not safe for small children and so that's why they're usually an option and/or have a deactivation switch. I'm surprised that BMW would take such a step backwards in safety equipment. Am I missing something?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The first F10's will be missing a lot of extras that will come soon after.

Just wait until next year or even to the EU MY '12 and BMW will offer more
extras (and standard features).

PS. I drove today with a F10 530dA that had its own AC and TV-screens for the
(heated)rear seats.
So I suppose rear airbags are soon available, if not now.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by hinckley
I was comparing my 08 550 spec to the new car and noticed that there is no longer an option for rear seat side airbags. They're not standard equipment either. I know that these type of airbags are not safe for small children and so that's why they're usually an option and/or have a deactivation switch. I'm surprised that BMW would take such a step backwards in safety equipment. Am I missing something?
Yes BMW is not taking the lead when it comes to car safety. Rear side airbags gone. The current consensus is that they are safe for children. Isofix in the front, gone. What am I supposed to do with my isofix child seat that's in the front in my E61 once I get my F11?

The F10/F11 also lacks rear seat belts that streches and then loosens during a crash. This is very important, especially for children, during a crash. There are quite a few cases where parents have survived in the front and the children have died in the rear seat because of not having the same kind of seat belts as in the front.

Several other car manufacturers like Audi, VW, MB, Lexus, etc. have these seat belts also in the rear. As standard or optional when ordering rear side airbags.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gorban
What am I supposed to do with my isofix child seat that's in the front in my E61 once I get my F11?

The F10/F11 also lacks rear seat belts that streches and then loosens during a crash. This is very important, especially for children, during a crash. There are quite a few cases where parents have survived in the front and the children have died in the rear seat because of not having the same kind of seat belts as in the front.
Does this mean that
- there is no ISOFIX on the front passenger seat of the F10/F11 series ??
- that the seat belts on the back is not as safe as those on the front ??

Regards
Bjorn
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by gorban
Yes BMW is not taking the lead when it comes to car safety. Rear side airbags gone. The current consensus is that they are safe for children. Isofix in the front, gone. What am I supposed to do with my isofix child seat that's in the front in my E61 once I get my F11?

Several other car manufacturers like Audi, VW, MB, Lexus, etc. have these seat belts also in the rear. As standard or optional when ordering rear side airbags.
Hello,

BMW F10 is the best car ever tested both in EuroNCAP test und in the USA - that is enough for me in terms of passive safety of the car.

BR

TGII