F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Problems with AM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to ask here if anybody else is having problems with reception. I get alot of popping sounds when listening to my favorite AM station here in Denver Colorado. It's KOA 850. I just got back from the dealership and nothing was found wrong with the car.

They also checked a new 5 series on the lot and it did the same thing. This only happens on the station mentioned above!!!

The service department is going to start a case and see if this is happening to other 5 series owners.

thanks
Tom
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by snakeman56
I just wanted to ask here if anybody else is having problems with reception. I get a lot of popping sounds when listening to my favorite AM station here in Denver Colorado. It's KOA 850. I just got back from the dealership and nothing was found wrong with the car.

They also checked a new 5 series on the lot and it did the same thing. This only happens on the station mentioned above!!!

The service department is going to start a case and see if this is happening to other 5 series owners.

thanks
Tom
I haven't checked 850 kHz in mine (I live in Pittsburgh), but it sounds like a specific electronic component "leaking" a signal at exactly that frequency. Have you tried listening to KOA without your cell phone close to the vehicle? Your phone sprays a lot of signals using a lot of oscillators and, although they may be below FCC limits, they may interfere with the car's reception at that frequency . . . AM is notoriously bad at rejecting in-band interferers.

Of course, if you still have the problem without your phone nearby, it's probably something within the instrument cluster (display, radio tuner, CD/DVD player, etc.) that isn't up to par.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dkodrin
I haven't checked 850 kHz in mine (I live in Pittsburgh), but it sounds like a specific electronic component "leaking" a signal at exactly that frequency. Have you tried listening to KOA without your cell phone close to the vehicle? Your phone sprays a lot of signals using a lot of oscillators and, although they may be below FCC limits, they may interfere with the car's reception at that frequency . . . AM is notoriously bad at rejecting in-band interferers.

Of course, if you still have the problem without your phone nearby, it's probably something within the instrument cluster (display, radio tuner, CD/DVD player, etc.) that isn't up to par.

I was called by the dealership shortly after I posted this question! The problem was with me having had turned on the HD feature in AM. Well I turned it off and no more popping sounds at all!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I had the exact same symptoms with KOA 850 from here in Colorado Springs until I changed out my rear window tint. Good you solved the problem!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
New Members

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.