F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Perspective buyers questions

Old 01-20-2015, 01:46 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Not yet bought
Default Perspective buyers questions

Hello all.

Having come from a sporty car back ground (Alfa Brera, Lotus Elise, Subaru Impreza being my last few cars), the time has now come to move to something more refined, comfortable, and full of toys.
I’ve always like the 5 series, and I’m currently deciding on exactly what to go for. I previously had my eye on an E60 525d/530d, but the more I see the new F10 shape, the more I like it, so I’ve decided the new shape it is!
Unfortunately, due to the increase in price of an F10, I will be looking at the 520d. I’ve decided I can live with a slower car as it has the rewards of being more economical and comfortable (and slightly less embarrassing than my current Subaru in certain scenarios)

There is a lot of info out there on the E60’s but nowhere near as much on the F10, in terms of common faults, things to look out for, largely due to the occurrence of failures, based on the F10’s age.
This is where I need some help. If anyone can shed some light on the following, I would be grateful.

Reliability:
1: Swirl flaps: do they exist on a 520d? If so, are they a concern on the new engine?
2: Thermostats: are they still as temperamental as the ones on the E60? If so, can they still be monitored through the secret menu on the dash?
3: Timing chains: heard a few horror stories here – can anyone put my mind at ease.
4: Any other things to look out for?

Maintenance:
1: What are the major service items that hit the wallet? I can cope with oil/filter/cabin filter changes, but surely there is a major service which involves more at some stage. I know they are conditioning based services, but what’s the worst case scenario in terms of servicing costs
2: What do people recommend in terms of oil change intervals?
3: How pricey are discs and pads (obviously it’s a heavy car, so they will need doing at some point)

My budget is about 16k max. I will obviously have to go for something with a bit of miles on the clock as I really want the M Sport. I know the SE is cheaper, comfier, and in some people’s eyes, the better choice, but not for me.
As the car is likely to have 70k+ miles, what are the immediate things to look out for? As far as spec is concerned, my budget might just stretch for a pro Nav model, but finding it hard to find a car with Xenon’s for my budget (I know the standards lights are poor). I’ve never been a huge fan of auto’s so I’m happy with a manual although I imagine the value of an auto will be better in a few years time.

Anyway, that’s pretty much all I can think of. Like I said, the F10’s don’t quite have the same level of owners reviews and advice available, so if you could help me out, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Phil