5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   Noob Suspension Question (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/noob-suspension-question-133969/)

bimernoob 07-13-2013 06:37 PM

Noob Suspension Question

I'm a BMW noob, looking for a 5 series. A few of the cars I'm considering have the M Sport package and feature what appears to be a button behind the shifter. Is this indeed a button and if so, is this what activates the Active Roll Stabilization?

Also, how would you rate the M Sport package? Does it make the car hande alot better or just screw up the ride?

Sonicendeavor 07-14-2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bimernoob (Post 1512923)
I'm a BMW noob, looking for a 5 series. A few of the cars I'm considering have the M Sport package and feature what appears to be a button behind the shifter. Is this indeed a button and if so, is this what activates the Active Roll Stabilization?

Also, how would you rate the M Sport package? Does it make the car hande alot better or just screw up the ride?

It depends on what model year F10 you're looking at, as the packages changed since 2011. In 2013 for example the MSport package consists of the aero kit, a slightly lower ride height,stiffer coil springs, different rear struts and a different front stabilizer bar, and the MSport steering wheel. This is a passive suspension unless you have the dynamic handling package, which replaces the passive suspension with an active one. Yes, the mode switch controls the active suspension if the dynamic handling package is installed, otherwise it just controls steering, throttle response, and shift points.
The passive MSport suspension is stiffer without being harsh and in my opinion provides a much better driving experience.

geobmw 07-15-2013 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor (Post 1512978)
It depends on what model year F10 you're looking at, as the packages changed since 2011. In 2013 for example the MSport package consists of the aero kit, a slightly lower ride height,stiffer coil springs, different rear struts and a different front stabilizer bar, and the MSport steering wheel. This is a passive suspension unless you have the dynamic handling package, which replaces the passive suspension with an active one. Yes, the mode switch controls the active suspension if the dynamic handling package is installed, otherwise it just controls steering, throttle response, and shift points.
The passive MSport suspension is stiffer without being harsh and in my opinion provides a much better driving experience.

Passive MSport suspension is great but it deletes the Active Roll Stabilization. My previous car, E60 550i, had both passive MSport suspension and ARS. It's a shame we can not order F10 with both MSport suspension and ARS.

Sonicendeavor 07-17-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by geobmw (Post 1513059)
Passive MSport suspension is great but it deletes the Active Roll Stabilization. My previous car, E60 550i, had both passive MSport suspension and ARS. It's a shame we can not order F10 with both MSport suspension and ARS.

Agreed. That would be a nice combination, especially with the heavier F10.

Franko 08-04-2013 10:00 AM

Ah! Thanks for the ship tracker link!

Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor (Post 1513230)
Agreed. That would be a nice combination, especially with the heavier F10.

Just browsing, and noticed the ship tracker link in your sig. That's awesome!

I have an ED scheduled for 9/20. We'll get to drive the car for 10 days, then I'll start obsessing over its re-delivery to the US. Much like I imagine you are doing right now. (actually - you probably have your car. Right?)

FWIW, my order is for 550i xDrive, mSport, DHP, Exec, Seats, Lights. It's going to be Space Gray with Mocha and Anthracite. (anyone think I'm missing out by not getting any other specific packages?)

We'll pick up, head to Fussen for the night, Stelvio pass to Belagio/Como, Lucerne, Strassbourg, Nurburg for a little time on the Nurburgring!

Thanks again.

sportzfan76 08-23-2013 09:47 AM

Hi - My E60 is in for repairs and the dealership provided me a 2013 528i as a loaner. I am a little surprised how 'quick' the car is for a 4 cylinder. The veh is a non sport model so I presume that the mode switch comfort/sport does not effect the suspension...am I correct. Also, the car is an automatic transmission (my car in manual) so does the sports shifter and the sport mode enhance any thing other than shift points ?

Sonicendeavor 08-26-2013 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by sportzfan76 (Post 1517272)
Hi - My E60 is in for repairs and the dealership provided me a 2013 528i as a loaner. I am a little surprised how 'quick' the car is for a 4 cylinder. The veh is a non sport model so I presume that the mode switch comfort/sport does not effect the suspension...am I correct. Also, the car is an automatic transmission (my car in manual) so does the sports shifter and the sport mode enhance any thing other than shift points ?

You would need to have the dynamic handling package in order to have the driver experience switch affect the suspension. The switch controls throttle response, shift points, and steering feel.