F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New 550i Production Tracking Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm new to the BMW ordering process. I've read several posts from multiple forums and websites about tracking your new BMW from its order inception to the time you get to plant your rear in that luxury seat, but I was wondering if you guys could help with some details using your knowledge and previous experiences. At this rate, my CA has noted production of my 2013 550i sometime during the first week of October. I guess that is week 40 on BMW's production schedule. So here's where my questions start.
  1. Does BMW typically produce "customer sold" vehicles in the first part of the week priorto standard dealer stock vehicles?
  2. On average, how many days does it take to produce an F10 550i?
  3. Does BMW produce vehicles 7 days a week or is it more a Monday through Saturday?
  4. If my production week is week 40 (Monday, October 1st to Saturday, October 6th), would it be remotely possible that my baby could make it on the Saturday the 6th departure of the W&W ship FARGO (Voyage #: CD240-FGO)? (Final dest: Port Hueneme, CA)
  5. How many days, including VDC processing, does it take for a new vehicle to get from ship to my BMW Center - BMW of San Diego?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'm sure many of you can sympathize with my obsession and excitement of my first BMW order.

New 550i Production Tracking Questions-prod-date.jpg

---------------------------------

On Order: 2013 550iSedan (F10) | 6MT | M Sport | Imperial Blue | Cinnamon Brwn | C. Weather | DvrAsst Pkg | Exec Pkg | B&O Sound | Lux Seat Pkg | DDC

Current: 2010 335i Sedan(E90) | 6MT | Sport | Jet Black | Black | C. Weather | Premium Pkg | HD Radio |Nav

2011 335d Sedan (E90) | Sport| Jet Black | Black | C. Weather | Premium Pkg | Harmon Kardon Sound | Sat/HDRadio | Nav | Comfort Acc

Previous:

• 2008 335i Coupe (E92) | 6MT | Sport | Monaco Blue | Oyster | C. Weather | Premium Pkg | Harmon Kardon Sound | HD Radio | Nav | Comfort Acc
  • 2006 330i Sedan (E90) | 6MT | Sport | Mystic Blue | Brown | C. Weather | Premium Pkg | Nav
  • 2005 M3 Coupe (E46) | 6MT | Carbon Black | Cinnamon Brown | C. Weather
Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

1. Don't think BMW makes a distinction between customer ordered cars and general inventory. Each dealer gets a certain number of production slots per month and your car is likely taking one of those slots.
2. Total production time on a car is less than a week as I recall but someone will have to confirm that...
3. I assume so. Modern manufacturing practices usually strive to maximize utilization of plant time...
4. I would doubt it. Once produced the car is then transported to port to await shipping. That usually take several days so my guess would be that your car would miss the Oct 6th departure. Sorry, but that's my educated guess having ordered several BMW's.
5. From landing in the US to arrival at the dealer can vary. You are at the mercy of customs etc. Assuming there was no in transit damage, ballpark 7 days. On all three of my ordered BMW's I took delivery 6-7 days after landing in the US...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM
New Members

Thanks, kscarrol. I appreciate the info. I'm still hoping for the best that I don't run into any problems along the production or delivery process. Only time will tell though. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Happy to help! While I don't think ordered cars get special priority during manufacture, they do get priority once they arrive in the US. They move through the VPC first to get to customers...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM
New Members

Well that's good news. It's a great idea from BMW to push customer-sold vehicles to the front of the line. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes the way it should.

But I also have some good news: I just checked the automated line and it told me that my vehicle is in production with an estimated completion date of October 4th, 2012. That's very exciting for me. Still not sure it'll make it on that ship which sets sail on the 6th.