F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

New 520d

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking of replacing my current E60 525d with a new F10. I was thinking of getting a 523i as i wanted to go back to a petrol but by looking at the spec, it seems pointless. Its slower than the 520d and its almost £3000 more expensive.

So im thinking of also getting the following options.

mettalic paint - £640.00
18" alloys - £1,410.00
Visibility package - £1210
Media package - BMW Professional - £1960
Sport Steering Wheel - £110
Sport automatic transmission - £1605
Sport seats - £400
Seat heating, front - £300
Park Assist - £560
Loudspeaker system - BMW Business - £405
USB interface - £205
Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline - £285

What do you think, any reccomendations? Im not sure about the visibility pack, the only reason im going for it as it includes xenons which looks really nice.

Does anyone know when the M Sport spec is being released?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

hi, xenons, leather, PDC, and at least 19" wheels is must have.good choice of engine.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

Leather and PDC is standard in the UK, xenon is included in the visability package.

I have got 19" alloys on my current E60 but the ride is abit firm. So im looking at 18" on the f10.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I would test drive the F10 before assuming the 19s on the F10 will ride like 19s on the E60.

The 523i is a 3.0L straight six petrol and that will be a very different drive to a 2.0L 4 cylinder diesel. It naturally comes down to what type of driving you are going to be doing and how many miles you drive. The performance is marginal between the two -- the 523i is slightly quicker, but both would have to be pushed hard to reach the numbers put forward by BMW, and I know which of the two engines I would like to push hard! Again, I would recommend you test drive them both on the kind of routes you will be driving.

As for the m-sport pack, not sure when thats coming out. I personally would wait for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

Just got thru configurator un bmw.co.uk, so good pricing btw.
What else you should pay, to get a car for private use?

xbmwx, i think you ment that 19" on F10 will ride like 18" (not 19") on E60? due to bigger tires.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by E60525d
Leather and PDC is standard in the UK, xenon is included in the visability package.

I have got 19" alloys on my current E60 but the ride is abit firm. So im looking at 18" on the f10.
Originally Posted by protams
Just got thru configurator un bmw.co.uk, so good pricing btw.
What else you should pay, to get a car for private use?

xbmwx, i think you ment that 19" on F10 will ride like 18" (not 19") on E60? due to bigger tires.

Its always wise to double check what I wrote But this time I was correct; if you look at E60525d's quote above, you can see he was considering 18s on the F10, based upon his experience of 19s on the E60. That's why I advised he see if 19s are more comfortable on the F10 before he decides to make the change. Hope that makes sense!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

The F10 in M-Sport is being released in late September 2010 for which UK dealers will take orders in mid-August according to my main dealer source.
Not all colours will be available at first release but several of your options would be better priced as part of the M-Sport/Dynamic bundle then bought separately in my opinion.
Note the start-stop system on the 520d Auto box (promising a further 5% fuel saving) will only arrive in March 2011.

The music system has been upgraded in the new F10 so I would suggest, if required, you upgrade to a Professional music system or Logic-7 unit.

Reasonable options you may wish to consider
1. DAB TUNER; the UK radio is going digital in 2012 and having an analogue unit may mean a redundant piece of kit.
2. 19" or 20" wheels look stunning on the F10 (saw this at my dealership) as the 18" dont fill the wheel wells as well as the E60
3. Delete PARK ASSIST. It is a silly bit of kit that wouldn't be useful to most drivers on a regular basis. Like Lane Assist that no really needs/uses.
4. Interior Ambient Lighting Package: Adds fiber optic lighting to several areas on interior and puddle lights to all doors and mirrors.
5. Folding mirrors and reverse-kerb function (drops mirror to kerb level on nearside when the reverse gear is engaged).

Hope this helps.

AR
Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: F10 525d SE Space Grey; Black Leather; Professional Sat Nav Package; 8-speed Auto; Folding Rear Seats; Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by SpokenHands
1. DAB TUNER; the UK radio is going digital in 2012 and having an analogue unit may mean a redundant piece of kit.
Just checked the BBC and the 'target date' for digital switchover is end of 2015, so not quite as soon as 2012 - so DAB may only be essential if you want to keep the car more than 5 years, and believe the government can actually achieve it...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8592664.stm

I echo the folding mirrors, and the auto dipping on reverse - very useful indeed.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SpokenHands
The F10 in M-Sport is being released in late September 2010 for which UK dealers will take orders in mid-August according to my main dealer source.
Not all colours will be available at first release but several of your options would be better priced as part of the M-Sport/Dynamic bundle then bought separately in my opinion.
Note the start-stop system on the 520d Auto box (promising a further 5% fuel saving) will only arrive in March 2011.

The music system has been upgraded in the new F10 so I would suggest, if required, you upgrade to a Professional music system or Logic-7 unit.

Reasonable options you may wish to consider
2. 19" or 20" wheels look stunning on the F10 (saw this at my dealership) as the 18" dont fill the wheel wells as well as the E60
3. Delete PARK ASSIST. It is a silly bit of kit that wouldn't be useful to most drivers on a regular basis. Like Lane Assist that no really needs/uses.
4. Interior Ambient Lighting Package: Adds fiber optic lighting to several areas on interior and puddle lights to all doors and mirrors.
5. Folding mirrors and reverse-kerb function (drops mirror to kerb level on nearside when the reverse gear is engaged).

Hope this helps.

AR
I think i may wait for the M Sport version if that is coming out in a few weeks. Fuel consumption is not really an issue, i did originally want a petrol but the 523i is slower and more expensive than the 520d.

1. DAB is something im not sure about, i have also been told it will 2015 for the switchover.
2. I would absolutely love 19" or 20" alloys but im just concerned about the ride. I have 19's now and the ride is firm. But then again by reading the reviews, it seems the F10 has improved ride. I think a test drive with 18" and 19" wheels would be the best idea.
3. Park Assist is going now. I originally thought it was the new name for PDC but it aint. PDC is standard.
4. Interior Ambient Lighting Package is on my list now. It looks really good in the brochure.
5. I dont think i would require this as i have not had any problems regarding mirrors.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525d
I think i may wait for the M Sport version if that is coming out in a few weeks. Fuel consumption is not really an issue, i did originally want a petrol but the 523i is slower and more expensive than the 520d.
As I wrote in one of my earlier posts, its only marginal, but according to the fact sheet on the German BMW site, the 523i is acutally the quicker car. (Automatic values in brakets.)
523i -- 238(234)km/h -- 7,9(8,2)sec
520d -- 227 km/h ------ 8,1 sec

If you are talking about acceleration in 4th/5th gear, then the Diesel is quicker... but you would change down a gear in the petrol and let that 3.0 I-6 rev! I am not trying to pick holes in what you wrote, just want to make sure you have the correct facts in front of you Obviously if my info is wrong, please let me know, thanks!

I was a total diesel head, having driven them back to back since 2001 because I was doing lots of KMs at the time. However, having now switched to petrol, albeit the other end of the scale, I have to say its a dream to drive in the city compared to the diesel, and the emotion that the petrol engine creates through its sound / high revs when pushing it hard is something a diesel cannot match in terms of driving pleasure IMHO. But it comes down to whether that 3K price difference is really worth it -- only a test drive can answer that question, because its simply down to the driving experience and not numbers on a sheet If you do go for a test drive in the two models, please let us know how you get on.

(Just read what I wrote and it looks like I've clearly been converted to a petrol head now!)

Quick Reply: New 520d