F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

My UK preview of F10: SpaceGray 535i

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

I previewed a Space Gray Metallic 535i F10 in SE trim on 16-Feb at Rybrook Warwick, in Warwickshire, England. No pictures were allowed so apologies in advanced - the car was even hidden behind screens to protect it from general view within the dealership.

My first observations were:
1. Well-proportioned if somewhat conservative exterior. The kidney grill looks great but the Volvo S80 type hood is a bit old-fashioned at a time when Jaguar, Mercedes, even Vauxhall and Honda are going the taut, flame-surfacing route.
2. No significant improvement in interior space (esp rear legroom) and boot space is actually less than current E60.
3. Several storage cubby holes every where (front and rear console)
4. Interior switchgear, layout and iDrive quality was superb.

What I was surprised by:
1. Sophisto Grey Xirallic is an excellent color, quite like Sparkling Graphite and not flat as some Color Thread pictures suggest. Dealer suggest darker colors will look better on this design and I would tend to agree.
2. Interior quality of switchgear is markedly improved, now approaching 7-series/X5 level of premiumness. Lots of small but excellent finishing touches.
3. 19" and 20" alloys have a lot of presence: Style 331 and Style 332 I think it was.

What I loved over my E60:
1. Excellent cabin feel, ergonomics and quality of switchgear materials
2. Excellent high-resolution 10.4" screen in Professional Sat Nav
3. Black Panel Technology on instrument panel
4. Clean centre console and nice big centre armrest storage area
5. Integrated puddle lamps in door handles (ambient light package)
6. The 520d will also have two chrome tailpipes on the LHS
7. BMW are making adjustments to the 520d currently to get emissions down to 130g/km to benefit from lower tax band, hence all brochures show 'tbc' against fuel and emissions.

What I didn't like at all:
1. Rear parcel-shelf (behind the rear seats) was covered in some kind of perforated linen, jute-like fabric which looks like it will collect dust and debris in normal use
2. The bottom part of the SE Rear bumper is a bit fussy - with unresolved surfaces and angles and an embedded red reflector strip. Iccck!
3. Rear boot is large and deep but doesnt have a flat surface to maximise the floor area, so appears smaller than the current E60. Very small under-floor storage too.

I am planning to order the M-Sport version when they begin taking orders August 2010 for a Nov 2010 delivery in the UK. The combination I am proposing is:
Sophisto Grey Xirallic Exterior
Cohiba Brown Extended Leather [Individual]
Dark Poplar Wood [High Gloss]

Cheers

AR
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Excellent write up, thank you for sharing...did they happen to have pictures or a brochure of the f10 m-sport pkg?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: [color="#2F4F4F"][font="Arial Narrow"][b]F07 5-Series GT | 2009 '59' | Black Sapphire, Ivory White Leather, Unlacquered Fineline Wood Trim[/b] Media Professional Pack with HDD, Visibility Pack, Electric Front Seats with Memory 20" alloys [style 316] with Pirelli P-Zeroes RF tires, Adaptive Drive USB Interface, DAB Tuner, Extended Ambient Lighting, Comfort Access [/font][/color]

Pleased you found it useful.
I asked about the M-Sport and they didn't have anything to show or discuss at this time
Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

so how do you know you will be able to order an f10 with an m sport pkg later this year? rumors and other sources do state that EU will be able to order the m sport pkg late 2010/this year, although nothing official from BMW as far as I know....
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Members

This small boot thing is kind of disturbing...
I looked at a 7-series the other day..and the boot in the 7-series is also very small.
Does anyone know why? BMW has clearly done something with the wheel sides or in that area of the body.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Contributors

I've seen a couple of references to the boot being 18 sq ft. If so, this is larger than e60 and also larger than current 7 series. I'm really hoping for the larger trunk space. I undertand the back seat has about 1/2" more leg room. Would have preferred 1 inch.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

I agree with you about the boot / trunk space, the wheel arches really intrude a lot into the load space making it look very small.

Darker colours always look better than lighter, ask any car detailer ? so sales guy stating the obvious on that one.

The bonnet / hood panel line across the top of the grill just looks wrong ? very 80?s. or even like an old Rolls-Royce ? anyway destroys fluidity of design

Integrated puddle lights in door handles ? have this on my 320d touring, since 05, very useful feature.

To me, the interior looks like a mish-mash of buttons and surfaces without any interconnected design flow. Frankly, I think the interior control panels look and feel like they were designed by semi-skilled carpenter

And the amount of buttons / controls on the steering wheel would confuse even an F16 pilot.

I am still gonna buy it though ?because I think the E60 is now handling and driving like a car designed in 2004, things have moved on.

I also like the exterior design, it is much more mature than the E60 which I always though looked like it was modelled out of Lego.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520D M Sport

Hi Spokenhands

As you said you are planning to order M sport package when BMW start taking order later this year, do you hope to get a good part exchange for you current car or you are not concernd about that issue. I am planning the same like you but have a feeling that i might not be able to get a reasonable value for my car. my car is 520D sport Nov2007 with around 28000miles on the clock and paid £22000 in june 2009 plus spent around £2000 on few upgrades and would be happy to let it go for £20000 when i go for the F10. Do you think I am a bit to much optimistic about the price I am hoping to get or would i be in for a shock when i go to dealer. Hope that you might give me some advice. thanks in advance.

Azhar
Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Members

I would suggest you get a specific valuation from Glass' Guide which is the industry standard. Online costs £3.50 and takes less than 5 mins.
That should give you the range (upper and lower) based on your vehicle condition and specifications.
I sent the report along to the BMW dealer so he knew that I knew what it was worth and we could agree a reasonable trade-in figure.

£20,000 is okay for a private sale, your trade-in value at a BMW dealer is likely to be around £16,000 for a good-spec car in excellent condition.

Bottomline:
The premium used Car market in the UK is depressed as there is a lot of stock available and the there are limited buyers who can get new/used car credit.
So you will not get the best deal unless you haggle real hard on a high-spec new car + find someone who wants the spec you have.
If you are sensitive to trade in values, I would suggest you wait another year till the value picks up (marginally).
Anyway no one made money on a premium car and the difference between year 3 and year 4 depreciation is negligible so you should hang on till end of year 4.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by AP Sales
I've seen a couple of references to the boot being 18 sq ft. If so, this is larger than e60 and also larger than current 7 series. I'm really hoping for the larger trunk space. I undertand the back seat has about 1/2" more leg room. Would have preferred 1 inch.
The boot is exactly the same volume as the E60 in terms of VDA liters. I attended a VIP presentation in Gothenburg, Sweden yesterday and the CEO of BMW Sweden told us that.

Quick Reply: My UK preview of F10: SpaceGray 535i