5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   It's Been Ages (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/its-been-ages-138540/)

seoulman 06-15-2014 05:17 PM

It's Been Ages

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't been on here in ages. It was still called the E60 forum when I was last here. :whistle: Got myself a new LCI F10 530d XDrive and thought I'd become active again. I recognize some names and see a bunch of new ones! Looking forward to getting reacquainted with everyone!

rmcd 06-21-2014 08:05 AM

Welcome back

Welcome back -

I too have just come back. I got myself a new (to me) F10 ActiveHybrid a couple of weeks ago.

Let's see if we can kick some more energy into this forum.

Cheers

sffb108 06-23-2014 05:24 PM

nice and welcome back

ModBargains.com 06-24-2014 07:49 AM

Sounds like a nice buy! Welcome back to the site, glad to have you

seoulman 06-24-2014 07:51 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome back 'rmcd', 'sffb108' and 'ModBargains'! :D

nmc 06-25-2014 02:31 AM

It's been ages

Ha! Me too!. Bought a 2012 F10 yesterday after trading in my E60. Also looking forward to interesting stuff. :D

Gene 06-25-2014 07:24 AM

so how is everyone liking their new f10's? nice to see some "old" members back :cool:

nmc 06-25-2014 08:51 AM

It's been ages

There certainly seems to have been a lot less activity than when the E60 made it's debut.
This is probably a very daft question. Can the GPS address book be transferred to the F10 system?

sdg1871 06-27-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 1542032)
so how is everyone liking their new f10's? nice to see some "old" members back :cool:

Mixed feelings Gene.

I love the looks, the comfort and, with the Dinan Stage 2 flash, the power. This beast would torch my E60 550i in a stoplight war or in highway passing power. In fact, with the Dinan flash, it is so powerful that many of my passengers have screamed/gotten scared when I floor it. And the sound system in my (the upgraded one the year before BMW rolled out the B&O killer sound system) is outstanding -- a quantum leap over the sound systems in my previous 5 Series car. The xDrive is also outstanding giving the car wonderful traction in the snow and a no drama rapid takeoff from a start under full throttle.

But, as compared to my E60 550i M Sport, there is little to no exhaust noise, no road noise, little road feel and a generally heavy feeling. The car just feels heavy and not particularly responsive to the steering wheel as compared to my E39 540i or my E60 550. Stated differently, my car's transient response blows and is too sluggish. The reality is that the car is every bit as tenacious in grip around the twisties but the joy of driving is gone -- there is just so little road feel or connectedness to the car/road. The car is a porker and needs a serious weight reduction.

Also, my F10 550 has been the least reliable by the three V8 5 Series cars I have had. I have had to replace the fuel injectors TWICE. The water pump failed. The turbo cooling pump failed. The turbo coolant lines burst and had to be replaced. It has spent a lot of time in at the dealer leaving me with a loaner. By contrast, my E39 540 had no repairs in three years and my E60 550 only had one repair in three years -- a failed starter motor.

Also, the stock M sport suspension is ridiculously soft -- even on sport plus. As a result, I got the Dinan springs which improve things considerable and make the car more controllable and responsive. But even with the Dinan springs, my F10 550 lacks the suspension tautness and transient response of my E60 550 and is geared much more toward comfort than sport.

Finally, my car cannot handle sustained high performance driving. Last year I did a car meet driving Pennsylvania State Route 125 and Gold Mine Road -- the best twisty roads within 3 hours of NYC. My E60 550 handled these roads brilliantly and I beat the crap out of the car on those roads. In contrast, under wide open throttle going up a mountain when the car had been doing mountain driving for like 15 minutes, my F10 550 threw and engine malfunction light and went into limp home mode. Not good at all for an almost $80k car that is supposed to go fast.

In sum, I sort of feel that with this car, BMW has become the new Lexus -- uber comfortable, good looking but soft and lacking in road feel or driving enjoyment. My next car will likely not be another F10 but more likely the Mercedes E63 S. And that makes me very sad as I am a BMW guy through and through.

seoulman 06-28-2014 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by nmc (Post 1542018)
Ha! Me too!. Bought a 2012 F10 yesterday after trading in my E60. Also looking forward to interesting stuff. :D

Congrats on your 530d! :D