F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Instrument cluster display

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010 | 09:56 AM
Senior Members

In Rudy's post here, the BMW release states the following for the 5GT:

Instrument Cluster Upgrade
The top instrument cluster that is included with navigation will be included on non-navigation vehicles. This increases the size of the electronic portion of the display from 5.7? to 9.2?, improves the graphic detail presented, and enhances the functionality by increasing the amount of information that can be displayed.

The old display has a screen that extends from the middle to the right side of the bottom of the instrument cluster. The new display has a much wider screen that stretches all the way from the left to the right side of the bottom of the cluster. Both displays show nav instructions.

So I'm curious. Does the F10 have the smaller or the larger screen? Are nav instructions displayed on the instrument display as well as the iDrive screen?
Old 07-11-2010 | 03:18 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 335 E93, '04 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by hinckley
So I'm curious. Does the F10 have the smaller or the larger screen? Are nav instructions displayed on the instrument display as well as the iDrive screen?
No, on my F10 535i the display below the tach and speedometer is not that large. I've driven a 5GT before, and I think the whole dash display is larger than the F10 which allows room for that larger Nav display. There is a display on the F10 dash that starts in the middle where the time, temperature, and trip computer is displayed and goes right all the way to the gas gauge under the tach. The display is full-color and displays various messages from the computer, the fuel economy, transmission status, and dynamic suspension status. I don't think it displays navigation information. But quite frankly, I don't see why you'd need that anyway. Nav directions are displayed on the large Nav screen on the dash and on the heads-up display. Much easier to read there.
Old 07-12-2010 | 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's a couple instrument cluster images from the owner's manuals of the F10 and the 5GT. Since the 5GT manual (2010) already shows a cluster with an LCD display below both guages, it's a bit confusing.

I may be misinterpreting things but to me, it looks as if as of September production, they're may be starting to use the 5GT cluster in the F10 (or at least one just like it...)

It's not a certainty, however, since the information may be only related to the GT...

F10:
Instrument cluster display-f10-cluster.jpg

5GT
Instrument cluster display-5gt-cluster.jpg
Old 07-12-2010 | 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ibimmer346
I don't think it displays navigation information. But quite frankly, I don't see why you'd need that anyway. Nav directions are displayed on the large Nav screen on the dash and on the heads-up display. Much easier to read there.
Take a look at the fifth picture down in this post. It clearly shows nav instructions in the instrument cluster but not on the iDrive screen. Could this be the "non-Professional" nav system that is available outside of the US? Can any of our European friends help?
Old 07-12-2010 | 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 335 E93, '04 Acura TSX

Take a look at the fifth picture down in this post. It clearly shows nav instructions in the instrument cluster but not on the iDrive screen. Could this be the "non-Professional" nav system that is available outside of the US? Can any of our European friends help?
Interesting. That's on the F11, too. Maybe they will be changing the dash display on the F10 then. In the original press release, they were mixing information about the F10 and the 5GT. I had assumed they were saying the 5GT display would be updated. But it may be all of them.
Old 08-02-2010 | 01:20 AM
Contributors

Guys,

don't you think there is a confusion here? according to Rudy's post, it says that that f07 will be getting the new 9.2" display and NOT the f10. Or am I reading something incorrectly?

cheers
Old 08-02-2010 | 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rsyed
Guys,

don't you think there is a confusion here? according to Rudy's post, it says that that f07 will be getting the new 9.2" display and NOT the f10. Or am I reading something incorrectly?

cheers
I read Rudy's post that way as well. But, there's a pic of an F11 with the larger display, so we're wondering if the 5GT's upgrade is making its way to the F10/F11 as well. Since they're essentially the same cars, it would make sense.
Old 08-02-2010 | 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I read Rudy's post that way as well. But, there's a pic of an F11 with the larger display, so we're wondering if the 5GT's upgrade is making its way to the F10/F11 as well. Since they're essentially the same cars, it would make sense.
My fingers are crossed that this upgrade is for the F10 as well!
Old 08-02-2010 | 02:18 PM
Contributors

The famous picture of the f11 (see link above - 5th picture) shows the standard "smaller" display which actually always show the navigation arrows as one of the bordcomputer displays. I drove a may build 520d the other day and it had this "smaller" display yet it showed the arrows for the navigation. If you go back to the f11 picture, the arrow is basically being displayed on the very the left bit of the display.