5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   Information on the forthcoming F10 (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/information-forthcoming-f10-38910/)

narvselius 04-12-2007 08:49 AM

I just got hold on my new issue of auto, motor und sport and I was pleasantly surprised when I found a four side long article about the new F10!

Naturally, my wife had to go to NYC with our digitial camera but here is at least a link to one of the pictures:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fotos/f..._15056.hbs&

Anyway, here is some info about the new 5 series, due in 2010.
* The design is more "fluent" and take several features from the E92. Apart from the even bigger kidneys (hello Audi) the car looks very much like an E60 and E92 combined. And I like it!
* Accentuated sideline should give a dynamic profile (again, see E90 series)
* Headlights resembles the ones on E87 (1-series), but build on the present E60
* C-pillar is much smaller, giving a more coup?-ish look.
* Rear lights very much like the E92/E93.
* Same size as E60

* 8 gears in the Auto. A must, as Lexus have it... :blink:
* Another upgraded xDrive. Together with ZF, BMW is working on an even more sophisticated system that lets each wheel work more freely.
* Double wishbone(?) as in the new X5 in the front instead of McPherson.
* Active steering is also new, said to get rid of the synthetic feel and giving back the "real" BMW feeling in the steering wheel.
* Thanks to Flex-Ray, the adaptive suspension is now hyperfast giving even better performance. And there will of course be different kinds of "programmes" to choose from...
* iDrive updated (surprise). Higher resolution, more logical menu system and adding favorites from 8 to 10.

* No full hybrid is planned, but there might be a "softer" hybrid version. One BMW guy says; we will not drive the 5-series electronivcally, but could start it that way. (Like present Prius).

* M5 due in 2011
* Still 507 BHP, but now with a double clutch

* A F10 Coup? with four doors is ready as a full scale clay model, but no decision yet.

On the Drivers Assistance side, there are also some news - and even pictures (!)
* PDC is extended to use side mirrors, where a wide angel camera is to be found
* Bluetooth connection shoud give you seamless interface home entertainment vs car entertainment
* Brake Assist further developed ? la M-B, now also with a warning in the HUD
* Information exchange with other cars. Just thinkn of what that would mean for the development of this forum... :cool:

nickolas_g 04-12-2007 08:51 AM

Looks like a big 3-Series. If this is the best they can do I would be very dissapointed.

:thumbsdown:

tachyon 04-12-2007 08:59 AM

Nice information ... thanks for posting.

Four-door F10 coupe will be interesting to see.

So is the timing such that we will see the F10 launched in 2010 as a model year 2011?

jcflys 04-12-2007 10:11 AM

I would bet that the BHP on the M5 will be increased.

narvselius 04-12-2007 10:42 AM

Normally, yes. But I think the Board at BMW frets about the new emission demands from the EU, and people's sudden interest in climate change and wonders what to do with a high performance car. They could also go the other way. 507 BHP but with a 100 kilo lighter chassie... :wow:

AlexFW 04-12-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jcflys' post='412844' date='Apr 12 2007, 08:11 PM
I would bet that the BHP on the M5 will be increased.

Sure, to 600 .

TX-530i 04-12-2007 12:06 PM

Wow! I like the 5er, but the 7 series looks amazing. Hopefully I can afford one of those some day.

denuyl 04-12-2007 12:07 PM

don't like the kidneys (especially on the 7); absolutely hate the styling of the Audi facia, regretably BMW seems to think they have to take the same turn
I can remember times when BMW set standards, instead of copying others (and if they realy want to copy anything from Audi: try buildquality and pricelevel: There is an Audi thing to applaude)

uglybear 04-12-2007 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='412797' date='Apr 12 2007, 09:51 AM
Looks like a big 3-Series. If this is the best they can do I would be very dissapointed.

Agree. 5er should be different enough. I think rendering is just an artist impression, not official BMW picture.

bmw093 04-12-2007 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='412797' date='Apr 12 2007, 11:51 AM

+1
It needs to be distinguished some more.

Then again, remember those terrible photoshop pix of what the LCI would look like (it looked like an ugly Hyundai, if that's not redundant)-- these pix are just a novelty.