F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

If you own an F10 with a 6 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you experiencing any issues with hesitation at take off?
I noticed a hesitation on one of the cars I drove and I wonder if this is a common issue. First I attributed the hesitation to the "hill hold" feature since it happened on a slight incline but I understand that only automatic transmission cars have the hill hold feature. I can describe it as a hesitation at throttle tip-in - it feels like the brake is on for a split of a second and then it releases and the car accelerates normally. I'd like to know in case my car arrives with the same issue - can it be fixed or do I have to live with it?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have much experience with an F10 manual transmission but I've driven a newer 3 series loaner with a manual tranny and it did, in fact, have a hill holder that released as soon as the clutch pedal was lifted. Maybe that's what you're feeling on the F10?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 1HOT BIMMER
Are you experiencing any issues with hesitation at take off?
I noticed a hesitation on one of the cars I drove and I wonder if this is a common issue. First I attributed the hesitation to the "hill hold" feature since it happened on a slight incline but I understand that only automatic transmission cars have the hill hold feature. I can describe it as a hesitation at throttle tip-in - it feels like the brake is on for a split of a second and then it releases and the car accelerates normally. I'd like to know in case my car arrives with the same issue - can it be fixed or do I have to live with it?

I have driven a few cars with the 'hill-hold' activated and it drives me crazy! They do exactly what you describe. I always turn that feature off, as I will do when my F10 arrives.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I have driven a few cars with the 'hill-hold' activated and it drives me crazy! They do exactly what you describe. I always turn that feature off, as I will do when my F10 arrives.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Correct me if I'm wrong here but as I recall, on my E61 with manual box, it wasn't possible to turn the feature off,

When starting off in a incline I could take my foot off the brake and release the clutch as I would normally do, the car would then continue to hold the brake for about 3 seconds.
It wasn't possible to take my foot off the brake for more than those 3 seconds or then the car would release the brake and the car would start to move.
I did never experience any hesitation with my E61.

With the auto box on my F10 and the auto-hold function set to ON, the car will always hold the brake regardless if I'm in a incline or not. As soon as I touch the gas the brake will release the brakes immediately.