F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

help me plan my euro delivery trip.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:00 AM
e6t
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided to order a new car and want to plan a trip to take euro delivery. I'm planning it far in advance, so I have the most options available.

My initial thoughts are drive one day, visit the next:

1. fly to munich, pick up car spend the night.
2. drive to nurburgh. (duh)
3. drive to brussels
4. drive to paris
5. eurostar to london and back
6. drive to zurich
7. drive to monaco
8. drive to someplace in Italy and drop the car off

now, i've never been to Europe and i have no idea if what i have described is even possible. all of the above cities wont make the cut, im sure as i dont want the trip to be longer than 14 days. also, i dont care to drive more than about 6 hours in a day.

can you guys help me?

what time of year is best considering weather, etc? I suspect that I wont be able to get my hands on the car until November or December of next year.

im excited to see what you guys recommend.

thx.

dont worry C, i'm still saving you a space.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

You are correct that it is not realistic to drive and experience much local culture if you try to visit all of the destinations you have listed. You can drive long distances in a day on the autobahns or other high speed highways but you will see very little along the way. In my opinion, half the fun of driving in Europe is getting off the main roads and experiencing the smaller towns.

What activities do you enjoy? Do you want to see museums or historical sites? Ski in the Alps? Try food or wine of different regions? Experience Christmas Markets? Meet locals and experience the culture? Do you speak any languages other than English? If you share activities you would enjoy, suggested destinations are more likely to be on point.

One day in Paris or London or several other destinations you mentioned will not do these justice. Plus several of these cities are congested and not much fun for driving a car. In some of these cities you may risk getting your car damaged or vandalized if you do not know where to park or are distracted by the sights while driving. Unless you simply want to visit 7 countries in 14 days, I would limit your itinerary.

First, I would cut London from your list. It is a long distance to travel and a town better explored on foot and via tube. In addition, I would not suggest you try to learn how to drive on the left side of the road in your new car. Paris and Brussels are two more large congested cities that in my opinion are better explored on foot and using local transportation. Visit these locations another time.

Also keep in mind the weather in November and December can be cold in parts of Europe. In some areas snow tires may be required or recommended in December. Driving mountain roads through the Alps can be a wonderful experience but some mountain pass roads may already be closed. I suggest you consider going south after picking up the car.

You might drive to Zurich or Luzerne and spend a day or two there. Then continue south through the Gotthard tunnel to southern Switzerland and northern Italy. Lugano, Como and other cities on the lakes in southern Switzerland and northern Italy are very scenic. You might visit Milan, but I am not sure you want to drive in the city. Then continue south to Genoa or visit Torino and proceed along the Mediterranean coast to Monaco. I have been to the French Riviera in December. Temperatures should be relatively mild and there are several cities worth visiting other than Monaco, such as Nice, Antibes and the hill towns.

Another possibility is to head south and east through Austria visiting Salzburg and then drive through Switzerland visting Zurich and Geneva and points in between or go the southern route through Italy.

Check the drop off charges for return of your car. This may influence your final destination.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

some good points above. visiting big cities like london and paris is best made using public transport. park at the outskirts and use the public transport to get in. parking is a nightmare in many big cities in europe. driving on the other side of the road in england wouldnt be fun with a left hand drive car either.

as for italy, the highway system is almost like an american highway...fairly easy to navigate. but off the highway, things are more tense, particularly in the big cities, and more so in the southern cities like rome, and naples. cars drive so close they almost touch, and bikes zigzag all through traffic.
just remember to stay calm and no sudden movements or you may take out a biker or something.
make sure you have gps.

here's some other blogs of others who have done the trip. you should be able to google others.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/2010/05/12...c-proportions/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/06/08/ho...be/#more-15340
Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Contributors

https://5series.net/forums/topic/922...&#entry1101097

Jonathan's a good info source for your proposed trip.

I think the agenda you've laid out is very aggressive. There is sooo much to see that a day or two here and there won't do it justice.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM
e6t
Senior Members

good advice guys, thanks.

i guess my primary goal is to try to experience some of the culture and architecture of a few very different places. i love food and drink, so i'd like to try to incorporate visiting good restaurants into the plan.

of course, my number one goal is to drive the car on roads i'll never get to drive it on again at speeds i'll never touch in the US.

all of the recs on here are great and precisely why i am beginning the planning so far in advance.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t
good advice guys, thanks.

i guess my primary goal is to try to experience some of the culture and architecture of a few very different places. i love food and drink, so i'd like to try to incorporate visiting good restaurants into the plan.

of course, my number one goal is to drive the car on roads i'll never get to drive it on again at speeds i'll never touch in the US.

all of the recs on here are great and precisely why i am beginning the planning so far in advance.
http://www.europe.org/speedlimits.html

You should be aware that in most European countries the speed limit on motorways is 130 kilometers per hour or less, which converts to 80 mph. Germany is the exception and even there some of the autobahns have enforced speed limits of 130 kph. Note that in many European countries driving significantly above the speed limit carries very stiff fines and may even result in your car being confiscated.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Having visited most of the major western european cities, I would advise to skip Brussels. Othern than Mannekin Pis, there is no much there to see. In the winter, head for Italy. Drive through Tuscany. Or drive the south of France. London and Paris are fab, and I am visiting them again in Sept-Oct but you surely don't want a car there. In terms of Germany, my wife and I really liked visiting Munich and Berlin.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
http://www.europe.org/speedlimits.html

You should be aware that in most European countries the speed limit on motorways is 130 kilometers per hour or less, which converts to 80 mph. Germany is the exception and even there some of the autobahns have enforced speed limits of 130 kph. Note that in many European countries driving significantly above the speed limit carries very stiff fines and may even result in your car being confiscated.
Think twice before driving in some European countries at speeds you would never touch in the U.S. I am more comfortable driving 85 mph on the interstate in Michigan than on a comparable road in Switzerland.

Having lived in Switzerland, I can attest that speeding there can have significant financial consequences. There the maximum speed limit is 120 kph or about 74 mph. Unlike the U.S., you may receive a fine for driving even slightly above the speed limit. At the following link a driver reported a fine of more than $1000 for driving 31 kph (19 mph) over the speed limit. My link

A recent article reported "a record-setting fine of nearly $290,000 for driving 85 mph in a 50 mph zone through the small town of St. Gallen in Switzerland.

Fines
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 AM
e6t
Senior Members

i should have qualified my statement... i only plan on driving fast where it is legal...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by e6t
i should have qualified my statement... i only plan on driving fast where it is legal...
Tour of Germany then?

Quick Reply: help me plan my euro delivery trip.