F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Heated Front Seat - Heat Distribution

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one to be aware of:

My 525d E61 had heated fronnt seats and I could adjust the heat setting between the base and seat back.

I've now got a F10 520 with the basic UK Dual Zone Air Conditioning with Heated seats - the option above is NOT part of this spec (Really disappointed as I like a wam back but not a warm ass!)
Can any UK owners confirm whether this is available on the 6 cylinder models or with the Extended Features Upgrade - the handbook specifically mentions it but does not say which seat spec it applies to .
Old 10-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acwats
one to be aware of:

My 525d E61 had heated fronnt seats and I could adjust the heat setting between the base and seat back.

I've now got a F10 520 with the basic UK Dual Zone Air Conditioning with Heated seats - the option above is NOT part of this spec (Really disappointed as I like a wam back but not a warm ass!)
Can any UK owners confirm whether this is available on the 6 cylinder models or with the Extended Features Upgrade - the handbook specifically mentions it but does not say which seat spec it applies to .
I'm having the same concern.
I have the extended AC but no function for heat distribution.
I'm looking in the printed handbook and it clearly states that you need some option to get it - as it is marked with an asterisk (*) in the book.
But it doesn't tell WHICH option.
I'll check with my dealer if they can sort this out..
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Awaiting a Saphire Black 520d SE, Black High-Gloss Trim, Black Fusion Upholstery, Hi-Fi Stereo, DAB Radio, USB/Ipod Adaptor. ETA Nov 21st 2007

one to be aware of:

I have a 520d F10 and it has heat distribution - its in the settings/climate options on the iDrive. I also am not fond of a warm ass apart from on a very cold morning.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by morkjt
I have a 520d F10 and it has heat distribution - its in the settings/climate options on the iDrive. I also am not fond of a warm ass apart from on a very cold morning.
Thanks morkjt - I'll talk to the dealer, i note from your sig that you've got Comfort Seats and upgraded aircon, this might explain it.- It's not there on mine, the only option on that screen relates to the ventilation timer (which is pretty useless!).

Any other members noticed this?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Awaiting a Saphire Black 520d SE, Black High-Gloss Trim, Black Fusion Upholstery, Hi-Fi Stereo, DAB Radio, USB/Ipod Adaptor. ETA Nov 21st 2007

Thanks morkjt - I'll talk to the dealer, i note from your sig that you've got Comfort Seats and upgraded aircon, this might explain it.- It's not there on mine, the only option on that screen relates to the ventilation timer (which is pretty useless!).

Any other members noticed this?
Ah - I just read elsewhere that the distribution option is only possible with comfort seats not standard - do you have comfort seats?

My aircon is with the extended features, yes.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by morkjt
I also had it in my LCI E60 but not anymore...

This opition seems to come with Comfort Seats only.

PS. Note that all extended AC functions has the chrome ventilator details, this goes also for the rear seat.
I don't have the chrome ventilators rear, since I only have the extended functions front.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by Ricracing
I also had it in my LCI E60 but not anymore...

This opition seems to come with Comfort Seats only.

PS. Note that all extended AC functions has the chrome ventilator details, this goes also for the rear seat.
I don't have the chrome ventilators rear, since I only have the extended functions front.
I have the basic standard AC and comfort seats. I'll check today whether I can adjust the heating distribution. I think not. Shame - I had it on the preLCI E60.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Members

I got the following response from BMW UK -

"I am sorry that you feel our initial response failed to address your question and that this has prompted you to contact us again to raise your concerns.

I appreciate that you feel BMW have taken a backwards step in relation to the design and functionality of the heated seats, however, this is not a view supported by BMW Germany. While your comments have been noted and are available for our product development team to view, there is not issue for us to address. Therefore, we are unable to offer you further comment on this matter.

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the changes made and I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us with your views."

Well if the Germans think it's a forward step who am I to have an opinion....
Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

It's absolutely a step back in functionality!

I have fabric/leather in my F10, I had full leather in my E61. Other than the upholstery I had exactly the same setup in both cars and my E61 HAD heat distribution.
Both cars have:
- Sports seats.
- Adv AC.

NOTE!
Heat distribution is not the only thing that's missing!
In my E61 I had a trip computer.
I could set the no of km's to the destination and the OBC would dynamically calculate the ETA.
This function is also described in the printed handbook but it's missing in the iDrive.
Not the most important functions - but I miss these them, and it's really annoying!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

I got some news today regarding front seat heat distribution in the iDrive.

According to my personal service guy (he's a faboulus BMW technician) it seems that a upcoming software upgrade will fix this.
He said that "if you have the proper options (don't exactly know what those are) the heat distribution feature will be activated through a software release".
The software upgrade will be available later this fall.

My guess is that you'll need extended AC at minimum.

Quick Reply: Heated Front Seat - Heat Distribution