F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Gauging an interest in a new product

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'd be interested (E60). After I tightened up the front with upper and lower braces I started to get the creak and groan going in and out of the driveway when the car flexes. Seems like I just moved the stress to another part of the chassis.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xit

I am definitely interested. I have an E61 (wagon) with a huge panoramic sunroof. The loss of 2/3 of the roof plus two very important roof cross members has definitely compromised the structure - you can feel and hear the creaks from this huge open mistake. Why BMW would offer this option and make it standard for the US E61 is beyond me - blame the marketing department for that one I guess.
Several members with similar cars have been looking for a solution to try to regain some lost structural integrity, we have even started a long thread about the subject in the E61 forum section a while back. We have looked at Ultra racing braces, M5 pull rods, etc., and have not found anything that will work. A center brace underneath the car (like the one pictured) is exactly what is needed. A strong center backbone is the key to good torsional rigidity. I am sure you will generate a lot of interest once a working solution is found. I will even post it in the E61 forum section.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

Price is the determining factor me. Don't know how vastly it will improve anything but sure does look pretty cool!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Is there at least an over/under on the price? And would it be the same for either RWD or AWD E60s?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

$450 to $500, i may be able to get a better price if we can get 25 ppl involved. i an fronting the cost so i would like a definitive. in terms of effectiveness, read up on Unibody construction and ask why race cars in F1 Indy and Nascar (pre COT) used body on frame. Tying teh front subframe and or even the rear subframe alters the suspension load but does nothing to the central body flex.

Again right now this is for F10, since i have an F10 i can use to Mock prototypes with. I may need an e60 if the F10 is made.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Is there at least an over/under on the price? And would it be the same for either RWD or AWD E60s?

I would need an XI F10 to see how much they differ in terms of space for piping and stuff.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

BTW i have been a member since 2004. The part would be made in the USA if that mattered to anyone
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Breae60
$450 to $500, i may be able to get a better price if we can get 25 ppl involved. i an fronting the cost so i would like a definitive. in terms of effectiveness, read up on Unibody construction and ask why race cars in F1 Indy and Nascar (pre COT) used body on frame. Tying teh front subframe and or even the rear subframe alters the suspension load but does nothing to the central body flex. Again right now this is for F10, since i have an F10 i can use to Mock prototypes with. I may need an e60 if the F10 is made.

I own a Third Generation Camaro with T-tops and your statement I put in bold is anything else but true. Tying the unibody to the subframe(s) all but eliminates body flex to include the annoying squeaks and rattles. Although the parts involved can be bolted on, anyone who knows about these types of mods would prefer to weld them on.

Your product doesn't do any of this - but I'm still interested in seeing some sort of hard data to support your claim that your product indeed does what you say.

I'm not trying to start a flame war with you and I understand you are introducing a new product for sale but for the sake of everyone that reads this, please post information that is accurate or at least provide a reference to back up your statements. All of us here are BMW enthusiasts - but some of us are also CAR enthusiasts and may pose some tough questions. Hopefully you can make us believers and not skeptics
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xit

If you work on one for the E60- E61 I'm in.

If someone needs more information about the benefits of an underbody brace, they can actually search for UNIbrace (the brace pictured in your post). It was designed for the VW Golf, but there are lots of reviews about how effective it is. I would suggest you make the brace a little wider if possible to attach to the main underbody support rails that run front to rear.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
I own a Third Generation Camaro with T-tops and your statement I put in bold is anything else but true. Tying the unibody to the subframe(s) all but eliminates body flex to include the annoying squeaks and rattles. Although the parts involved can be bolted on, anyone who knows about these types of mods would prefer to weld them on.

Your product doesn't do any of this - but I'm still interested in seeing some sort of hard data to support your claim that your product indeed does what you say.

I'm not trying to start a flame war with you and I understand you are introducing a new product for sale but for the sake of everyone that reads this, please post information that is accurate or at least provide a reference to back up your statements. All of us here are BMW enthusiasts - but some of us are also CAR enthusiasts and may pose some tough questions. Hopefully you can make us believers and not skeptics
I understand what you said and agree, if the subframe was tied into the central body then yes. but strut braces and sway bars which a previous post was referring to does not. The pic i attached is a part made for Audi/VW and it does not tie the subframe with the body. I am hoping to actually tie the subframe to the body. Just a thought. i don't need to do this, I am the one paying for the cad and all upfront cost regardless if i sell 100 or none. if anything, i can make a one off

Quick Reply: Gauging an interest in a new product