F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

First Impression: F10 535i Space Gray Loaner (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60. MY 2006 Grey interior/ Silver. No mods. Previous car: 1997 E39 Hunter Green 528i.

So, I dropped my E60 ('06 530i) off at the dealer today for brakes, wipers, fog light, oil change and micro filter. The right angel eye is out too but they said it's not covered under warranty, only the Xenon bulb itself is. ?? Ok.

So, right now I am in 2011 F10 535i Non-Sport, Space Gray (manual.)

Features:
Space Gray
Non-sport
6-Speed Manual
18-Inch (Style 237) Wheels with run-flats
Black Leatherette Interior
Dark Wood Trim,
Premium Package (Navigation screen is NICE!)
Convenience Package
Drivers Assist Package
Active Ventilated Seats package
Xenons
Non-smokers package

I will tell you first. Just before the M-sport package got released, I test drove a 535i Sport fully loaded with Sport- Auto. But only for all of 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes lit me up. And I felt like "I HAD TO HAVE ONE!"

I will give a better review on this one once I spend more time behind the wheel.

So, my impressions so far...
From the first look of the car, I am in love. It is a BEAUTIFUL machine. Especially the Space Gray. I just love the stance of the F10. But as I walk closer to it, it starts to look a little big. I didn't get that sense the first time. Probably because the non-sport sits slightly higher than the sport version. Getting in and I'm sitting on leatherette. Ok. Interesting. But after driving for a few minutes, feels rather nice. My E60 has non-sport seats with leatherette (why BMW?) and these felt instantly more comfortable once the car was rolling. Thicker. The iDrive interface was easy and quick. The navigation screen was so large and so rich I wish it had the ability to pop in a blu-ray movie. I wasn't impressed with the audio system so much right now. But, that is minor to me. thus far...ok. No wow factor like before but. Ok.
So, off I go. Engaging the car into 1st and it felt reluctant to take off. And I had to squeeze between two E60s to get out of the garage at the dealer. That was scary because not only does the car look massive from the drivers seat, it felt sluggish and like a boat. Going into second was much easier and welcoming. As if the car preferred it. Driving to thru the mall to get to the highway, are all these speed bumps. It maintained a comfortable ride and quick respond while in second the whole way. And there was a hint of a growl. Really? Nice and unexpected.

So, I get to the main road to hit the high way and as most drivers are in Atlanta, I get cut off by someone running the light and making an unauthorized right turn to block my already committed left turn. The car maneuvered surprisingly quick and broke without a harsh jolt for a car that not even a second ago felt like a big boat. So, I figured people are going to help me put this car to a real test, I see. haha. Once on the highway, I went into 3rd and the car responded with a grunt like a V8. I got happy wanted to see how it responded into 4th. So, I get it up to speed and around 5,000 rpm switch to 4th. to my surpise I got nothing. Lol. It did increase in speed but no burst and the growl went away. So, a 1/4 mile down I downshift into 3rd and another bummer, it downshifted but the engine matched the revs so much so that, it went into a smooth ride. The rpm jumped from around 4,000 rpm in 4th to about 5,500 rpm in 3rd to an immediate 4,000 rpm half a breath later. This was not my experience in the Sport version. In the sport when I went up, I got my instant response and a good grunt then when I downshifted I got the whole experience and felt the transition. This car here...I CAN'T FEEL IT!!!! And that disappoints me.

So, I continue driving the car with no concern for the experience anymore and taking it for what it is. I pop in a CD and the audio went from OK to Ok, WOW! The base and clarity really was evident. So, I have to assume the radio is tuned differently and doesn't pick up as much information in the song. On my E60, you almost can't tell a difference from a CD or the radio. But this was definitely better. Then I look down at the speedometer and HOLY SHIT! I'm doing just over 100 mph. I will say this...only long trips or when you have people in the car, this is a nice thing to have. You can be comfortable and you can have a conversation with people. Cool. BUT honestly for someone who wants to be involved in the driving experience, this robs you of that. I ran the risk of getting a speeding ticket and was getting non of the joy from it. Then I remember that I am on run-flats. Wow. You would never guess it. Well this is my first day, first hour with the car. I will have it for one more day then back to my E60. If I can take some decent pictures I will post them.

Summary:
Impressions so far.

The Good:
Very nice ride, soft, quiet and comfortable. Definitely a BEAUTIFUL machine inside/ out. Interior finish is best BMW has made thus far. Quick car. Especially on the top end above 90 MPH. That NAV screen is addicting. It even has a louder grunt than the 535i has. I believe that is due to the manual though. Not the exhaust.

The Bad:
Uninvolving. Quick but you cannot tell. Where is my thrill? Where is my excitement? Hell, where is the road? It's disconnected. Almost unimaginative. Video game-ish. And, YES (I hate to admit it) you feel like a zombie due to lack of steering feedback. A few times when changing lanes I felt unsafe getting over because in my E60, I can feel everything that goes on and it's almost as if a 6th sense. As for that loving and addicting grunt from the exhaust, by the time you really get to enjoying it, it goes away to adjust. You have to maintain a 4,500 RPM to hear it and the car only wants to run in the lower RPMS to ride right. Also, not the case in the Sport Version. Oh, and that Efficiency Dynamics monitor is distracting once you notice it. Changing from Red to Blue back to Red constantly. I wished I'd never payed close attention to it now. It's like watching the clock. It doesn't seem to like 1st gear. Giving a very slow response to anything. Also, it wants to go into 6th gear way too easy when you want 4th. I find myself pulling the shift nob a little closer to the left than usual to ensure 4th gear on this ride. Feels like a narrow 4th gear and super wide 6th gear. I guess I'd have to just get used to that one.

The Current Thinking:
I still say I would definitely get the F10. Definitely. But it WILL have to have the Dynamic Handling package and Sports package. If I had to base my decision off of this particular car then I would not buy an F10. It makes me feel like a passenger in my own car. Amazing that the 535i Sport took only 10 minutes to make me love it and this Non-Sport version is just making me think this is NOT a BMW 5 series. Two completely different cars, man. Completely.

Final Judgement: Tomorrow
Hopefully this car doesn't completely push me away. But it sure is a gorgeous ride though! :-)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Welcome Dark Knight to the F10 owners club. It will happen soon...

Thanks for the nice review.

Get big wheels!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Dynamic Handling and Sports Package is an absolute MUST on the F10. (and if you can afford it, the V8 too )

The difference is like Night-and-Day.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Dynamic Handling and Sports Package is an absolute MUST on the F10. (and if you can afford it, the V8 too )The difference is like Night-and-Day.
+ camera PDC.