F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 vs E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i (Canada); Deep Sea Blue Metallic; Creme Leather; M Sport Package; Premium Package; Nav Package.

I'm now on my third 5-series, having replaced my 2008 535i with a 2011 535i x-Drive at the beginning of September. After driving my new car for 6-weeks I thought others might appreciate my thoughts on the differences and improvements with the F10 over the E60.

1) iDrive: The iDrive menu, of course, is updated and quite different. I'm still struggling a bit with the learning curve, since I knew the old system very well. In general, I think it's an improvement. However, there are some dissapointments. Specifically:

- Zooming in and out of the navigation map view is significantly slower, perhaps due the increased detail.
- Entering destinations is quite different. I think the POI search is a bit more clumsey, compared with the old Information search. More capable but also more steps to jump through.
- Dialing with a voice command is worse. On the E60 system I could say, for exmaple: "Dial name. John Doe Mobile". The new system requires more steps: "Phone book. Doe John." When you have more than one number for John Doe, it asks you to identify the number you want to dial by it's position in a list (1, 2, 3), rather than it's identity (Home, work, mobile). This requires you to look at the screen, and figure out which number you want from the icon. Not good.

2) They've eliminated the steering wheel programmable button! I used this to turn navigation voice on or off. Very handy. I now have to use one of the dashboard buttons for this.

3) They've elimated the cruise control stalk and replaced it with traditional steering wheel buttons like other manufactures. Perhaps easier to initially figure out, but not as nice to use. I do like the fact that there's a small paddle that allows you to increase/decrease the speed by either 1km/h or 10km/h increments (a function also offered by the earlier stalk).

4) I like the steering wheel radio toggle, and dashboard display. It pops up a list of radio stations that allows you to easily change stations without using iDrive. Nice.

5) I have comfort seats. On Canadian models they've eliminated the adjustable side bolster support -- at least on the 535xi. It's in the manual, but not on my car. I liked this a lot and miss it.

6) Driving impressions: I don't notice a huge difference -- still a great car to drive with tremendous power. The 8-speed automatic is quite noticable, with very rapid shifts when the car isn't being driven hard. Generally the feel is more luxurious and a bit less sporty. Fuel economy is a bit worse, but that's most likely due to the x-Drive that I didn't have before.

7) External appearance: This is very subjective, but I think the appearance is a huge improvement. I liked the look of my M-Sport 535i, but my standard 535xi has a much more aggressive and classy look.

In general, I'm very happy with my new wheels and think overall it's a nicer car.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Congrats on your new f10, post some pictures of your ride..
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

1) It always takes some time to get used to new and improved featuers.
2) Yes!
3) I complained about the E39 cruise function not being in the E60. Love it in the F10!
4) Works.
5) I've standard seats and they are great.
6) The car is very hard to shape. The PDC is a must! The 8-speed is very great, at least with the small and very powerful 2.0 l diesel.
7) The new F10 looks so much more better than the E60, with at least 19? wheels.

Please post pics, bro, on your new fine car!