5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   F10 M Sport vs E60 LCI Sport (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/f10-m-sport-vs-e60-lci-sport-105456/)

550i now 10-16-2010 11:22 PM

I have figured out WHY i prefer my E60 550i (visual, outward appearance).....now more than ever after seeing recent F10 MSport pics., and others with the F10 MSport pkg...

My 550i has a low, aggressive, crouched ready to pounce look, the car slopes from the front to rear deck in perfect proportion.

The F10 even in MSport has a very pronounced up front unbalanced appearance, straight up, huge snout, seemingly little aerodynamic wedge.

Granted the F10 interior is a nice improvement, but isnt it the face, figure, and shape that gets your attention?

Wonder what Chris Bangle thinks?

Shebs 10-17-2010 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by 550i now (Post 1255999)
I have figured out WHY i prefer my E60 550i (visual, outward appearance).....now more than ever after seeing recent F10 MSport pics., and others with the F10 MSport pkg...

My 550i has a low, aggressive, crouched ready to pounce look, the car slopes from the front to rear deck in perfect proportion.

The F10 even in MSport has a very pronounced up front unbalanced appearance, straight up, huge snout, seemingly little aerodynamic wedge.

Granted the F10 interior is a nice improvement, but isnt it the face, figure, and shape that gets your attention?

I agree to your opinion regarding the agressiveness of the E60 when compared to the F10, whether in Sports Package or in standard configuration.

For me, the first time I saw the F10 my initial reaction was: "where have I seen that car before?" For me, that was the problem.

BabkenBMW 10-17-2010 02:50 AM

You, guys, behave like children. Though the E60 was a GREAT automobile in its time, but the new F10 is one step higher. As time is passing by, more and more customers prefer the F10. Why? That's simple: because the F10 is the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE in its segment and the ULTIMATE 5 SERIES EVER PRODUCED..

narvselius 10-17-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW (Post 1256028)
You, guys, behave like children. Though the E60 was a GREAT automobile in its time, but the new F10 is one step higher. As time is passing by, more and more customers prefer the F10. Why? That's simple: because the F10 is the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE in its segment and the ULTIMATE 5 SERIES EVER PRODUCED..

Now, who was talking about child behaviour...? :think:

narvselius 10-17-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shebs (Post 1256009)
For me, the first time I saw the F10 my initial reaction was: "where have I seen that car before?" For me, that was the problem.

Had very different reactions to the E60 and the F10 when I saw them for the first time (IRL). The E60 was "what?!?" whereas the F10 was "nice" (without exclamation point).

When I saw the E61 with M-sport package IRL my reaction was "Wow" :dance: :wub: whereas the F11 M-sport was "oh!...ok, then". The F11 looks much better without the M-sport package - stylish, clean and... nice. But that's all.

kscarrol 10-17-2010 07:08 AM

Agreed on the upright nose of the F10 but unfortunately that is primarily driven by new safety standards. Look at any of the new European models, Mercedes included and you'll see that same flat, upright nose. It's related to safety standards for pedestrians...

Petes550i 10-17-2010 07:10 AM

Actually, the F10's exterior was designed by Bangle's protege, Andy von Hooydonk....so the Bangle influence is still there to some degree....esp. in the doors.

As far as the design debate, the truth is that the E60's design is over 8 years old....people are very used to it by now; so naturally, there's a lot of sentiment that's attached to it. But for me, as a former owner of 3 E60's, it's too dated now for my tastes. The one part of the E60 I've always hated was the headlights....too "cat-like" and very "Japanese"....too much of a departure from traditional BMW's. The car is also way too common where I live.....I see at least half a dozen E60's on a daily basis.....more so than Camry''s or Accords!

What I like very much of the F10's design is the overall understated elegance. It doesn't try to be flashy nor is it "boring." While not totally abandoning Bangle's influence, the design recalls elements from the E34 and E39. In my opinion, I think a lot of people (the E60 guys) got so used to everything Bangle, that the traditional BMW design has become "stale" to them. If you look at all the 5 series models for the past 30+ years, you'll see that the design was never "aggressive" or flashy....it was simply understated elegance....the E60 was the only significant departure from that.

pharding 10-17-2010 07:50 AM

....The F10 even in MSport has a very pronounced up front unbalanced appearance, straight up, huge snout, seemingly little aerodynamic wedge.

The very vertical snout of the F10 is not very good looking. It is weak point of the whole design.

pukka 10-18-2010 11:44 AM

The car looks too much like a 7er - I still can't figure which is which without looking at the badge.

Gene 10-18-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by pukka (Post 1256638)
The car looks too much like a 7er - I still can't figure which is which without looking at the badge.

position of the hood emblem and as well as position of the side indicator are good ways to tell the difference...