F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 5-series suspension explained in detail. This is why our cars will

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F10 suspension explained:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369498

Saw this on 5post thought it would be a great read for those of us who are really into the mechanicals behind our cars.

Looks like BMW did their homework when it came to tuning the F10's suspension and chassis.

I never thought the E60's ride was particularly harsh but looking forward to seeing the "improved" ride quality of the F10.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks for the interesting interview terps.

I took this out of the context:

"BT: Many people see run-flat tires as one of the biggest faults in riding comfort. What do you think about this?

JvS: There has been a lot of development in the past and without a doubt the first run-flat tires had some issues with comfort levels. The Run-Flat tires offered today are way better and we even made some blind tests with some of our developers and with normal customers to see if they can tell the difference between run-flat and regular tires. And, they usually can?t.

So the normal customer will hardly notice any difference with today?s tires.

BT: So will run-flat tires present an interest to BMW M for their future cars?

JvS: Thats a bit of a philosophical question and it also depends on how you are positioning a car. There are some things that are very important for the M GmbH, but not for every BMW. For example, they are using other tire sizes and they want as few unsprung weight as possible, so run-flats are not very attractive for their purposes.

BT: So, for the normal 5 Series customer it makes no difference.

JvS: No, except from the safety benefits of course. We also know from our 1 and 3 Series cars, where the run-flat tires are optional on some models, that our customers really want them, so the market acceptance is not a question at all. There are even markets like the U.S. and China where you simply have to offer run-flat tires because these customers want a high level of safety and a very high level of comfort. The chinese customer doesn?t leave his car when he has a flat tire, so in such markets run-flat tires are essential."

In other words, if you will get 18" or larger tires, get non-RF's!

The F10 comes with standard 17" wheels and RF tires.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Members

I say get non-RFT's regardless of size!

After all these years i'm still not used to them. Regular tires feel so much better to me still.