5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   Engine seized (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/engine-seized-148679/)

Bogdan7 07-02-2018 08:10 AM

Engine seized

Hey guys I have a huge problem, maybe someone can give me some advise or any thoughts are much appreciated.
I have a 2011 535xdrive, never had any issues with the engine, was changing the oil every 5k miles, now I have 93k miles on it. On Friday went to replace the oil sensor and oil cooler gasket. Everything was fine, but next day out of the blue my engine died on me while driving about 50 mph. I heard a clicking noise which was the transmission, it went from D to N by itself and the RPM were down. I pressed the gas pedal a few times and nothing, realized that the engine was off, so I pulled on the side of the road. Put the transmission to P and tried to start the engine. It made a pretty awful noise but didn’t start, after trying to hit Start button again it just made a click and that’s it. Not sure what happened, at this point I’m left without a car and huge headache. Looks like I’ll have to replace the engine. Did anyone have a similar situation? Can anybody suggest a solution? Any thoughts? Every opinion counts.
thanks a ton

JayArras 07-02-2018 11:45 AM

So what did you do after you pulled over? Did you have it towed anywhere? Has a dealer or indy looked at it? How did you come to the determination that the engine is blown?

Bogdan7 07-02-2018 05:00 PM

Yes, I towed it back to the same garage where they replaced the cooler gasket and oil sensor. They got back to me today saying that they couldn’t find anything wrong, and everything looked fine and they’re still working to find out what might have caused it. As far as I understood they didn’t get the chance to completely disassemble the engine and look inside, looks like they will do it tomorrow

Bogdan7 07-10-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1595845)
So what did you do after you pulled over? Did you have it towed anywhere? Has a dealer or indy looked at it? How did you come to the determination that the engine is blown?

Got an update from the mechanic, so they say that Cyl number 6 seized, can’t figure out why... everything looks ok. I asked if we can just replace that part, he’s reply was that “The crankshaft is bad it looks like the engine replacement is more logical, used crank is 1000$ rod is 200$ and set of gaskets and machine shop is around 1500$. So it’s very close to engine price” he assumes that a replacement engine will be around $3,000. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ? I live in NY, can anybody suggest where I can get an engine for about that money?

Trian 07-12-2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bogdan7 (Post 1595959)

Got an update from the mechanic, so they say that Cyl number 6 seized, can’t figure out why... everything looks ok. I asked if we can just replace that part, he’s reply was that “The crankshaft is bad it looks like the engine replacement is more logical, used crank is 1000$ rod is 200$ and set of gaskets and machine shop is around 1500$. So it’s very close to engine price” he assumes that a replacement engine will be around $3,000. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ? I live in NY, can anybody suggest where I can get an engine for about that money?

I got the engine replaced on a 2000 740iL and I should have just parted it out instead --- would have been way ahead. A replacement engine might cost $3,000 but the installation costs are a lot more than $3,000. Can you get a second opinion?

Bogdan7 07-12-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trian (Post 1595979)
I got the engine replaced on a 2000 740iL and I should have just parted it out instead --- would have been way ahead. A replacement engine might cost $3,000 but the installation costs are a lot more than $3,000. Can you get a second opinion?

this mechanic is actually a friend of mine, I don’t think he would try to rip me off. He did some research as well and said that many people faced same situations. The car just died on them, no lights no warning signs, it just stopped working:( I asked if it pays to just replace the parts (which are also close to $3000) he said that he wouldn’t recommend that. What if after the repairs the engine would do the same, I’d be in really bad situation, too much $$ involved... I’m so upset because this car didn’t give me any problems, and now BOOM.... very sad

Trian 07-12-2018 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bogdan7 (Post 1595980)

this mechanic is actually a friend of mine, I don’t think he would try to rip me off.

My reply did not mean anything about ripping you off. It is all about the mechanic's experience. One mechanic may be sure it is one thing but another, who has seen this exact same thing before, may have a different,correct solution, that may be cheaper. Many of us have seen this before. 2 mechanics --- 2 different answers

Bogdan7 07-12-2018 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trian (Post 1595982)
My reply did not mean anything about ripping you off. It is all about the mechanic's experience. One mechanic may be sure it is one thing but another, who has seen this exact same thing before, may have a different,correct solution, that may be cheaper. Many of us have seen this before. 2 mechanics --- 2 different answers

got you:) I’ll try to ask around if there’s anyone who would like to stop by and look at it, because at this point the engine is out and can’t take the car anywhere

Twindawg 05-27-2019 12:57 PM

Hey my 2011 did the same thing, however I had my car for less than 4 months when it happened. I have the MSport package and it cost $13,300 for the repair. I wish it was $3,000 because I would of bought a few replacement engines. Anyway, get a few opinions before you shell out any cash and end up with it happening on the replacement engine. A good place to buy is LKQ.com they have good prices and warranty their engines.

ey2001 06-17-2019 10:36 AM

Maybe the shop didnt do the priming oil procedure..

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584743