F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Edmunds Review of 2011 535i

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by m630
Yes Buick, just like the story noted if you didnt catch that bit

And, my son , when you are around for over 6 years on this board, we'll see who is the troll and who isnt, all you seem is a troll for BMW 5 series manufacturing, perhaps a board member for all i know!

have i driven the cars you ask??? i've driven them all, and owned the best of bmw over the past 20 years, so thank you very much, i know quite well what Im speaking of and what a sports coupe or sports saloon from BMW is supposed to be, and the F10 5 series aint it. If you closed your eyes and put a 7 on the trunk, you would believe that was what you are driving, so as stated by just about everyone on the board except you and every story on the car in any mag or show, BMW has missed the mark BIG TIME when its goal was supposed to be to create the next 5 series, the Sportsaloon market leader, not the cushy-luxury with minimal sportiness sedan/boat that the F10 is today. Hell, i think my e23 was smaller and lighter, and a hell of alot more fun to drive for sure and this bore of a boatload.

Im glad to speak on the merits and debate intelligently with anyone of the like mind, but your attempted name calling and lack of objectivity only exposes your own self doubt which says it all.nuff said

So you've been a forum member for 6+ years and that somehow qualifies as you as the "expert"....and that your "expert" analysis of all things BMW tells you that the F10 has failed.....wow, what was I thinking going against such a "genius" of a mind as you....

All your blabber is nothing more than your own frickin opinion...nothing more. What objectivity?!....you're calling the F10 a "Buick," a "bore of a boatload" and claiming it has already failed (after being out for only 3 months now) is being objective?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Petes550i
So you've been a forum member for 6+ years and that qualifies as you as the "expert"....and that your "expert" analysis of all things BMW tells you that the F10 has failed.....wow, what was I thinking going against such a "genius" of a mind as you....

All your blabber is nothing more than your own frickin opinion...nothing more. What objectivity?!....you're calling the F10 a "Buick" and claiming it has already failed (after being out for only 3 months now) is being objective?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....
Your's is an opinion as well Pete so be careful how you throw that around, those who live in glass houses and all... Just sayin'.

And the Buick remark was pulled from the Edmund's article and it not m630's opinion. He tried pointing that out.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Your's is an opinion as well Pete so be careful how you throw that around, those who live in glass houses and all... Just sayin'.

And the Buick remark was pulled from the Edmund's article and it not m630's opinion. He tried pointing that out.

The Buick comment may have been pulled from Edmunds but from reading the rest of his comments, you can clearly see that he is using it as well as other remarks that are his own (e.g. "boatload of bore") to slam the F10. There's nothing objective about his statements as he so claims. It's flame bait pure and simple....and I admit I'm guilty of being pulled into it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Petes550i
The Buick comment may have been pulled from Edmunds but from reading the rest of his comments, you can clearly see that he is using it as well as other remarks that are his own (e.g. "boatload of bore") to slam the F10. There's nothing objective about his statements as he so claims. It's flame bait pure and simple....and I admit I'm guilty of being pulled into it.
Fair enough, just try to not be so thin skinned about the F10. You love your car and that's all that really matters. I went through this with my first E60 purchase back in Jan 2004 so I know where you're coming from. The opinion of those who dislike the F10 is just as valid as your opinion about loving the car. Because they are all opinions, nothing objective about either side. It is hard but ignore the comments and they will fade as people either move to other cars or grow to like the F10. Even this Edmunds review; not great, not terrible is one man's opinion for the most part. As you point out, the E60 was roundly disliked by the press when it was introduced yet it went on to be the best selling 5 yet. The F10 will find its way and it will do just fine as drivers and the press will come around to it...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

+1

Fair enough, just try to not be so thin skinned about the F10. You love your car and that's all that really matters. I went through this with my first E60 purchase back in Jan 2004 so I know where you're coming from. The opinion of those who dislike the F10 is just as valid as your opinion about loving the car. Because they are all opinions, nothing objective about either side. It is hard but ignore the comments and they will fade as people either move to other cars or grow to like the F10. Even this Edmunds review; not great, not terrible is one man's opinion for the most part. As you point out, the E60 was roundly disliked by the press when it was introduced yet it went on to be the best selling 5 yet. The F10 will find its way and it will do just fine as drivers and the press will come around to it...
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

says the soon to be M3 driver

but in all seriousness.......+1
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Well said ksc and I'll end my comments with this, I am what I would believe to be bmws target demo for this type of car, and have been hopefully anticipating the now released F10 for some time, as my next vehicle will most likely be a 4 door sports saloon. As most on the site who've read my often rants can pickup, I'm a BIG bmw fan, and as such I'm am supremely disappointed with the product offered in this F10 5series, so much so, that I may have to start considering alternatives. I did have my heart set on this car till it came out, and am just shocked by the end result as I don't believe it is true to the bmw I grew up with and knew and loved so much for what products offered. Exciting design and dynamic driving attributes, the hallmark of a bmw. I guess I'm also a Bangle fan, as his designs were avant garde, and he had ushered in the most successful line bmw has ever offered. Now I see them moving backwards, away from the things that have advanced them to the market leader position and its disappointing, and the F10 in my opinion emblemizes this retreat of you will, less dynamic cars and boring designs. Unlike many, I did always love the E60 design, and anyone who wants to read the history on this board back in 04 and 05 can read up on my posts regarding the 5er and so on. Ultimately though I went with the 6er, twice now, but always felt love for the 5er and expected to return to this segment with the new arriving F10. For me though, it has gotten too big for my needs/desires for a premium sports saloon, if not for the fact that I'm 1 1/2 years from my next car purchase, I too would pickup the e90 M as its the only sporty 4door in bmw's current lineup. I can only hope that the Gran Coupe uses most of the 6er parts and continues the extensive use of aluminium and plastics to keep body weight below 4000lbs, which I have determined to be the max weight for a car that I will purchase, because unfortunately, even at 3900lbs and 500+hp, the weight on the M6 is its achielles heal for day to day total enjoyment, I hate feeling body roll at any perceived level, and the weight increase has cursed modern bmws, I'd trade 100hp for 500lbs of weight savings, and I hope the next generation of bmws focus on this aspect.

My only hope now for the F10 is the M5, but I'm less than convinced they will keep the weight down, and any weight increases over the E60 M will again eliminate this from my potential purchase wishlist.

Please BMW make the Gran Coupe agile!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
says the soon to be M3 driver

but in all seriousness.......+1
Indeed, I did say folks will either move to other cars or grow to love the F10... I could easily see coming back to the F10 some day, maybe the LCI version. Maybe the M5, who knows. I have mentioned it before and I understand BMW's decision (CAFE standards) but the turbo is a major sticking point for me. That was the biggest driver of my initial look at the M3, I really wanted to stick with the NA V8.

And the M3 is at the port waiting on a ship. One is scheduled to sail tomorrow so hopefully I'm on it...
Old 10-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i Titanium Silver (F10)

the e60 is lighter than the f10 thats the simple fact, therefore with the same (or similar) engine the e60 will be a bit faster.the f10 maybe a tenth or two slower but who cares, in the real world no one will notice and very few people will take the 535i on a track day. I can confirm that the f10 is excellent to drive (although the electric steering could have slightly more feel) and is MUCH more comfortable than the old e60... i dont know about you guys though but personally i think it looks a lot better too
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Members

Indeed, I did say folks will either move to other cars or grow to love the F10... I could easily see coming back to the F10 some day, maybe the LCI version. Maybe the M5, who knows. I have mentioned it before and I understand BMW's decision (CAFE standards) but the turbo is a major sticking point for me. That was the biggest driver of my initial look at the M3, I really wanted to stick with the NA V8.

And the M3 is at the port waiting on a ship. One is scheduled to sail tomorrow so hopefully I'm on it...
Unless you need to buy the M3 now, you may regret if you check out the F10 M5. It may well be the "M5 chassis" (note this) with the M5 engine if and when you do check it out.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Review of 2011 535i