5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   F10 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/)
-   -   e90 M3 v. F10 550i (https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/e90-m3-v-f10-550i-108476/)

Diamond 01-04-2011 05:34 PM

So I own an e60 and hate the f10 even more than when it was introduced, just not my cup of tea but nonetheless the engines in them are pretty magnificent. Decided to pull the trigger on a new m3 and keep my e60 around. Just curious how the new 550 400hp car compares with the 414hp m3?

I understand the gobs of low end torque in the 550i and such but I am looking for people who have driven both and have actually driven the m3 up in the high rpms-how does the acceleration and speed compared? I know handling obviously the m3 wins and the 550 is heavier but anyway just curious how they stack up as I know the 550 is quite fast from what it looks like!

Gene 01-04-2011 06:18 PM

you honestly need to test drive both, you are asking about "feel". "Feel" is a very independent, subjective and varies between individuals...there are a good number of members here (including myself) that decided to go with an M3 (most e90 M3's) rather than leasing an F10 at our e60 lease ends......

AP Sales 01-05-2011 05:22 AM

Might oughta drive the 335d while you're at it. Not as quick off the line, but torgue is unbelieveable.

hoganzdad 01-05-2011 09:49 AM

I have driven both. I own an E92 09 M3 and have taken the F10 550i for an extensive test drive. They are two very different cars. As you noted, the 550i has a lot of low end grunt/torque and is very powerful but muted, whereas the M3 does not hit its "stride" until about 3500 rpm - but beyond that it sings beautifully til 8200 rpm. The 550i is a luxury car with a powerful engine, the M3 is a raw, high-performance supercar. The 550i has a lot of bells and whistles and a ride that borders between smooth and firm, the M3 has a very tight, but not uncomfortable (depending on damper settings) ride. And of course, the 550i is much bigger which might make a difference to you depending on your or your companion's size. GENEeTALS is correct that feel is subjective. Both are nice cars. Good luck!

kscarrol 01-05-2011 10:33 AM

hoganzdad is spot on. I went with the E90 M3 following my 550. I don't have a problem with the looks of the F10 but what drove my decision was the subtle shift towards more of a luxury car. My E60 550 was a bit more sporty than the F10 in terms of ride but as Gene and hoganzdad point out, that is highly subjective and is my opinion only. Another deciding factor was the turbo engine. Having watched the troubles with the HPFP on the 335 and 535, I was not ready to go with BMW's turbo engine. That and a bad experience some years ago with an Audi!

The ride of the M3 is stiffer, more firm than the 550 but not not bone jarring. The handling is very tight and crisp. As for the interior, I would put my M3 on par with with my E60 550 in terms of fit and finish. The F10 is definitely a step up in terms of interior, part of that move to more of a luxury car. But my M3 has the same iDrive system etc but does not offer (and I would not ordered on a F10 anyway!) the other bells and whistles like the night vision camera, HUD etc.

In terms of interior space, the E90 M3 is a bit smaller but the biggest difference is the trunk space. I am 6'3" and have no problems fitting in the M3, plenty of legroom up front. Both the M3 and my old 550 were a bit tight in the back seat, particularly behind my seats given my height. In both cars if my oldest (and tallest) son were to sit behind me I would have to move the seat up a bit to give him some room.

Go take an extended test drive in the M3. I love my car M3 but you have to decide what's right for you...

Bokke 01-05-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by kscarrol (Post 1290107)
hoganzdad is spot on. I went with the E90 M3 following my 550. I don't have a problem with the looks of the F10 but what drove my decision was the subtle shift towards more of a luxury car. My E60 550 was a bit more sporty than the F10 in terms of ride but as Gene and hoganzdad point out, that is highly subjective and is my opinion only. Another deciding factor was the turbo engine. Having watched the troubles with the HPFP on the 335 and 535, I was not ready to go with BMW's turbo engine. That and a bad experience some years ago with an Audi!

The ride of the M3 is stiffer, more firm than the 550 but not not bone jarring. The handling is very tight and crisp. As for the interior, I would put my M3 on par with with my E60 550 in terms of fit and finish. The F10 is definitely a step up in terms of interior, part of that move to more of a luxury car. But my M3 has the same iDrive system etc but does not offer (and I would not ordered on a F10 anyway!) the other bells and whistles like the night vision camera, HUD etc.

In terms of interior space, the E90 M3 is a bit smaller but the biggest difference is the trunk space. I am 6'3" and have no problems fitting in the M3, plenty of legroom up front. Both the M3 and my old 550 were a bit tight in the back seat, particularly behind my seats given my height. In both cars if my oldest (and tallest) son were to sit behind me I would have to move the seat up a bit to give him some room.

Go take an extended test drive in the M3. I love my car M3 but you have to decide what's right for you...

Could'nt have said it better - I went from an E60 545 to an E90 M3.

Diamond 01-05-2011 01:22 PM

Thanks guys. Ya I am set on an m3 coupe, just looking through options and waiting for 2012 MY to see if there is any minor stuff thrown in for the last year as I am in no rush as I own my 07 530. Clearly it will be a larger step up in power than a 545/550 e60 but how would you guys compare the power compared to the e60 550? I have driven a 545 numerous times but really dont remember a whole lot in comparison. I noticed the 335 felt to me where the 545 is at so I am assuming with 100 more Hp the m3 has signifigantly more umph. What is the pin-to-you-seat factor in the m3 v. the 550 both e60 and f10?

Ya I really want to like the f10 but not only am I neutral toward it, I literally think it looks terrible. With the e60 I would ALWAYS turn my head and watch them and always wanted one. I dont get that feeling at all with the f10 however I DO always get that feeling again with the m3 so I know it feels right.

I basically think it is the closest thing to what I wanted the new F10 to be. A lighter naturally aspirated v8 with an awesome look and performance. Obviously not as big as a 5er but I dont really think you need it as big. I did not use my backseats so that is a non-issue nor are they that large anyway. I would go for a 7 if I wanted useful back seats.

I am not a huge fan of the e90 but the e91 coupe looks like another timeless bmw design, as does the e60 does to me. I will be excited to have stable mates with an e60 and m3---

did you guys keep the e60? do you miss it now that it is gone if you got rid of it? I am thinking of keeping it but maybe its a waste of time if I will always be wanting to use the m3. My hope was I cannot put as many miles on the m3 if I keep the 5er which also is a car I still absolutely love and still drives soooo nicely with its I6 n52 engine, I hate to see me giving up the last higher output NA I6 non-m engine.

mhirsch 01-05-2011 03:51 PM

Thank you for all your replies as I am waiting for my M3 to arrive.

Gene 01-05-2011 07:50 PM

don't expect too many changes, if any between M3 2011.5 and 2012 models, most of the updates have been already made...this question has come up a lot on m3posts as well regarding 2012 changes if any, many have reported none to be made....

Diamond 01-06-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS (Post 1290346)
don't expect too many changes, if any between M3 2011.5 and 2012 models, most of the updates have been already made...this question has come up a lot on m3posts as well regarding 2012 changes if any, many have reported none to be made....

Ya no point in ordering 2011 at this point. Ill wait to see and then order, its not goin to change much now for the off chance. People speculate but nobody knows. I would like a last model year as well although that may be 2013 so I wont wait until then. we will get the 012