F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

E60 v F10 520d Msport

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not really contributed very much to this forum before but thought that as a previous owner of an E60 520d Msport who ran the car for 4 years and 75000 miles, my views on the equivalent F10 after 6 weeks and 2500 miles might be of interest!

Firstly the respective specs

E60 520d Msport - March 2007 (just missed LCI ipdate so 163 bhp)in Carbon Black with full beige leather trim/heated seats/ stacker CD/ std 18 in wheels/ wood dash instead of alluminium.

F10 520d MSport - March 2011 in Space Grey with Oyster/Black leather, professional sat nav etc, 8 speed sport auto gearbox

I hadnt actually seen an Msport before I placed my order so had to take a but of a punt on what it would be like!

After 6 weeks, I am really impressed

1. The interior is absolutely streets ahead of the E60. Its like a different class of car in terms of trim/fit/ambience
2. The performance of the car in terms of acceleration is clearly better even though I have switched to my first ever auto. Using the sport mode gives really strong performance and the gear change comes so quickly I havent really bithered with the paddles on the steering wheel!
3. The ride is softer but unlike some of the press reports, it doesnt wallow and I didnt specify any of the expensive electronic trickery for the suspension. Msport suspension is just fine for me
4. The car feels demonstrably bigger. My 18 year old daughter told me she thought it was much the same as the old car except greyer and fatter! (she then added - like you Dad!!)> I dont mind this but others may prefer/defer
5. I do regret not pushing the boat out on the wheels. The standard Msport wheels dont look as nice as my old wheels imho. The tyres are huge - 275/40 x 18 at the rear but in my view they just dont fill the wheelarch as well as i with the E60. I did discuss this with the dealer beforehand (and bearing in mind there wasnt a car to physically see) and they disauded me on the basis of poorer ride comfort. KIV my view is purely based on asthetics.
6. So far my car is doing 42.5 to the gallon on a mix of journeys. The E60 did 45.5. A bit dissappointing given BMW's claims of 50 plus but its early days yet and I have no doubt this will improve as the engine wears in!
7. I remain a little unsure of the looks of the Msport body compared to the previous Msport body. I did consider an SE but loved the looks of my previous car so went for like for like. No real regrets but interestingly there doesnt seem to be many Msports around compared to SEs whereas it seemed b to be a more popular option previously. If I were on a tighter budget, I may have dropped the Msport bit before the gearbox and the pro sat nav! Again just asthetics as the handling etc is good.

All in all a happy man - colour and trim fine/ sat nav and entertainment package is awesome - filling the system now with my sad CDs and the gearbox is superb. A decent step forwards for BMW but....... i do wonder what the new 2.2 litre Jag XF would be like in comparison??? Too late for me as announced just when I took delivery but in interesting competitor at a time when I felt previously there were no real competition to the F10 (A6/E class all dismissed)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 911SC
I've not really contributed very much to this forum before but thought that as a previous owner of an E60 520d Msport who ran the car for 4 years and 75000 miles, my views on the equivalent F10 after 6 weeks and 2500 miles might be of interest!

Firstly the respective specs

E60 520d Msport - March 2007 (just missed LCI ipdate so 163 bhp)in Carbon Black with full beige leather trim/heated seats/ stacker CD/ std 18 in wheels/ wood dash instead of alluminium.

F10 520d MSport - March 2011 in Space Grey with Oyster/Black leather, professional sat nav etc, 8 speed sport auto gearbox

I hadnt actually seen an Msport before I placed my order so had to take a but of a punt on what it would be like!

After 6 weeks, I am really impressed

1. The interior is absolutely streets ahead of the E60. Its like a different class of car in terms of trim/fit/ambience
2. The performance of the car in terms of acceleration is clearly better even though I have switched to my first ever auto. Using the sport mode gives really strong performance and the gear change comes so quickly I havent really bithered with the paddles on the steering wheel!
3. The ride is softer but unlike some of the press reports, it doesnt wallow and I didnt specify any of the expensive electronic trickery for the suspension. Msport suspension is just fine for me
4. The car feels demonstrably bigger. My 18 year old daughter told me she thought it was much the same as the old car except greyer and fatter! (she then added - like you Dad!!)> I dont mind this but others may prefer/defer
5. I do regret not pushing the boat out on the wheels. The standard Msport wheels dont look as nice as my old wheels imho. The tyres are huge - 275/40 x 18 at the rear but in my view they just dont fill the wheelarch as well as i with the E60. I did discuss this with the dealer beforehand (and bearing in mind there wasnt a car to physically see) and they disauded me on the basis of poorer ride comfort. KIV my view is purely based on asthetics.
6. So far my car is doing 42.5 to the gallon on a mix of journeys. The E60 did 45.5. A bit dissappointing given BMW's claims of 50 plus but its early days yet and I have no doubt this will improve as the engine wears in!
7. I remain a little unsure of the looks of the Msport body compared to the previous Msport body. I did consider an SE but loved the looks of my previous car so went for like for like. No real regrets but interestingly there doesnt seem to be many Msports around compared to SEs whereas it seemed b to be a more popular option previously. If I were on a tighter budget, I may have dropped the Msport bit before the gearbox and the pro sat nav! Again just asthetics as the handling etc is good.

All in all a happy man - colour and trim fine/ sat nav and entertainment package is awesome - filling the system now with my sad CDs and the gearbox is superb. A decent step forwards for BMW but....... i do wonder what the new 2.2 litre Jag XF would be like in comparison??? Too late for me as announced just when I took delivery but in interesting competitor at a time when I felt previously there were no real competition to the F10 (A6/E class all dismissed)
That's why the E-Class trumps the F10 in terms of sales.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
That's why the E-Class trumps the F10 in terms of sales.

...too bad you can't afford neither of them, nimwit.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Petes550i
...too bad you can't afford neither of them, nimwit.
I drive a BMW 5 Series E39 and I'm more than satisfied with my car.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

I drive a BMW 5 Series E39 and I'm more than satisfied with my car.

is that petrol, diesel or steam powered?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi 911SC, nice response and very nice car

Had mine for 8 months or so. Here's a few comments on your writing.

"4. The car feels demonstrably bigger."
Yes, it does! The front end is really hard to discern, so the PDC is a must!

"5. The standard Msport wheels dont look as nice as my old wheels imho."
I don't like the M Sport wheels either.
As I see it, the minimi wheel size for a F10 is 19". (I got 20"'s, see My Gallery on a "SE" as you call it in GB...?)

"6. So far my car is doing 42.5 to the gallon on a mix of journeys."
I'm running on about 6,3 liters/100 km in the summer.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
is that petrol, diesel or steam powered?
It's a 523i.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

It's a 523i.
The E39 is a really fine BMW. Voted 3 years in a row as the best car in the world in its class.

But of course the technology made it possible to make better cars in 10 years.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

It's a 523i.

Coal powered then!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The E39 is a really fine BMW. Voted 3 years in a row as the best car in the world in its class.

But of course the technology made it possible to make better cars in 10 years.
I also think so, my friend. And many experts state that the E39 is the best driver's car among all the 5 Series.

Quick Reply: E60 v F10 520d Msport